When the Sky Begins to Fall

Prologue

A/N: Hi everybody! I hope you all enjoyed Hollow Body Got A Hold On Me. This is the sequel that I promised! This is more of the main story than a sequel though, Hollow Body was a prequel. Anyway, here it is, I hope you enjoy!

Amar's POV:

10 months ago

"Amar, welcome," Jeanine greeted me as I entered her office. I hate coming here. It's too white.
I take the seat she offers me, as she sits behind her desk.
"I appreciate your cooperation, Amar," she begins, as two men dressed in blue suits, with long, dark blue overcoats enter the room and stand on either side of me.
I swallow nervously.
I'm scared.

"What exactly do you need me to do?"
Jeanine smiles at me; it's not a pleasant expression.
She nods, and one of the men holds my shoulders, while the other injects something into my neck. My eyes go wide with shock, and my hand flies to the injection site, feeling the small hole there, with my fingertips.
"What is that? What did you do to me?" I ask, in confusion and fear.

"Don't worry, we're just testing a new serum," Jeanine smiles, that cold, fake smile again.
"You can go, now," she says, looking down at some paperwork on her desk.
I get up, and make my out of her office, down the stairs, and then out the door.

I don't feel any differently.
What was that stuff?

Six hours later

I was heading to the Pit, when it happened.
I stopped in my tracks, and turned around, robotically, heading back up the stairs.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I can't seem to stop myself.

I find myself outside of one of the new apartments, just down from Eric's, and I knock.
"Come in!" That's Stormy's voice.
I push open the door, and enter her apartment. She is standing in front of the mirror, and it appears she might be going out.
She turns around, and apparently I'm not who she was expecting.

"Amar?" she asks, in confusion.

I want to say something, but I can't.
I find myself moving towards her, as she backs up, against the wall.
I lunge forward, and inject a pale blue liquid into her throat.
How did that get there?
She doesn't scream; she just drops to the floor in a heap.

Six figures in dark blue, almost black, uniforms enter through her window.
They pick her up and attach her to a harness, as I find myself by the side of her bed, making a pile of blankets on the floor.

Stormy and the men are gone, now.

I pull a small vial of yellow liquid from my pocket, and smash it against the curtains, the liquid seeping through the fabric.
I find myself pulling a book of matches out of my other pocket, as well, and I strike one, the stick lighting up instantly, and I throw it against the curtains.

All of a sudden, I feel like myself again.
I stare in horror as the fire licks across the walls, spreading to the ceiling.
What have I done?

I exit her apartment quickly, locking the door and closing it behind me, as I make my way to a dark, and secluded spot.

I find myself rocking back, and forth, and trembling.
What have I done?
What have I done?
What have I done?

Before I know what's happening, Eric is standing in front of me.
What do I say to him?
"I-," I begin, not sure of what to say, when Eric punches me in the nose.

Jeanine's POV:

I stare at the monitors, seething in anger.
"It didn't work correctly! He fucking knew what he was doing!" I scream at the younger people around me.
"But, it did work," a new member of Erudite tries to explain. "He did what he was supposed to, didn't he?"

I turn around, and glare at the girl who dared to speak out of turn.
I back hand her roughly.
"If Eric hadn't killed the Divergent, he would've gone to the Council! They would've discovered the chip!"
I sigh, in exasperation.

"Get my things ready, I leave for Dauntless in three days, once I've cleaned up this mess. And I'm taking Annie with me, she knows what to do."

Present day - One year after Stormy's initiation

Eric's POV:

I awake from my sleep, feeling numb.
I always feel numb, because of the serum.
Jeanine never has told me what it is called, so I just call it Red.
Annie stopped coming about six months ago; she taught me how to do it myself.

I inject the blood-colored liquid into my arm, just like every morning.
Then I get dressed, and comb my hair back, as I exit my apartment.
Today is choosing day.
There will be new initiates, today, and I'll be overseeing the transfers, again.
This time, Four will be with me, too.

Fucking yippee.

Speak of the devil.
"Eric!" I growl, as Four runs up to me.
"What do you want, Stiff?" I glare at him, but it never seems to faze him, anymore.
"The new batch is arriving any second, now."
"Fine," I say, in a monotone snarl.

Four heads to wait at the bottom of the net, and I make my way to the roof.
I'm not looking forward to this; it's a waste of my time.
I want to be hunting the Divergents, but Jeanine says that this is where it starts; that the serum will be ready, soon.

I sigh, as I stand impatiently on the ledge above the hidden entrance.
I feel the roof trembling, and then I see the train, initiates jumping off, trying not to fall.
One boy almost does; he hangs off the ledge for a moment, before pulling himself back over the edge, his face white.
I smirk; it would've been entertaining if he had fallen.

I watch the last two initiates jump off, out of the last car, and they barely make it, rolling onto the roof just in time.
Great.
Another Stiff.

"Initiates!" I speak above the chattering teenagers. "Listen up! Today you have chosen Dauntless as your new faction. The only way in is to jump off this roof. And somebody's gotta go first, so, who's it gonna be?"
My eyes scan the new flock, searching for a volunteer.
I'm about to pick the Candor boy, but a voice stops me.

"Me! I'll go first."
I watch as the Abnegation girl pushes her way to the front, before climbing up on the ledge.
She stares into the hole, and glances at me briefly.
I wonder if I'm gonna have to push her in.
"Today, Initiate!"
She takes a deep breath, and jumps.

Once everyone has jumped, I turn around and take the stairs, into the corridor that leads into the Pit.
Four has lead the transfers to their new dorm, and Lauryn has taken the Dauntless-born to theirs'.

I head into the bar, seating myself on a stool at the far end of the counter.
I drink alone.
I'm always alone.
It doesn't bother me, at all.

Caleb's POV:

I chose Erudite, today. I don't know what to expect, exactly. But, my test resulted in Erudite. So, I chose Erudite. I trust the test.
Beatrice chose Dauntless.
I always knew she would leave; she never belonged in Abnegation. She was too selfish, but, that was okay with me.
My sister is one of a kind.

I like my new room. It's all white; a far site better than the many tones of gray we had in Abnegation.
I have my own bed, and bathroom and everything.
I've ditched my old clothes, and was given a pressed, blue suit with a white shirt to wear.
It definitely makes me look smarter.

I hope Beatrice can handle herself well in Dauntless.
I hope my parents can cope, with both their children defected.
I hope I can make it, here.

I decide to go exploring.
The halls are quiet, and I've noticed since my arrival this morning, most of the people here keep to themselves, with their nose stuck in a book.
That must be why some people refer to them as Noses.

I turn a corner, and see Marcus heading the opposite direction.
What is he doing here?
I decide to follow him.

The leader of Abnegation rounds a corner, and I tip toe over, peaking around the corner.
There are six, white metal doors, and a woman dressed in a white outfit stands at the end of that hall.
"I need to see Kaitlynn," he mutters, gruffly.
"Kaitlynn?" the woman asks, apparently startled. "But, sir, you've already seen Kaitlynn, today. Are you sure you wouldn't like to-."
"Kaitlynn!" Marcus shouts, apparently growing angry.

The woman looks flustered, but points Marcus to the far room on the left side of the hall, and then goes to open a door on the opposite side.
"Kaitlynn!" she calls. "You're requested in room three."
A moment later, and a girl with blonde hair exits the room.
She is wearing a white dress, and no shoes.

She looks really sad, and the Abnegation in me feels bad for her.
What is going on in here?
Kaitlynn walks dejectedly into the room where Marcus awaits.

"What are you doing here?"
I turn around quickly, tripping over myself and falling to the floor.
"I-, I was-," I stutter, embarrassed and afraid that I was caught; by Jeanine Matthews, herself.
She smiles at me then.
"I guess you've heard about our little "operation", huh?" she says, quietly.
I nod, slowly, not at all sure of what she means.

"Would you like to participate?" she asks, genuinely curious.
I gulp, and nod my head.
I have no idea what's going on, but, this is one way to find out.

Stormy's POV:

I lay on my white bed, in my white room, in my white dress, with the white blanket pulled over my head as I cry.
I try not to cry too often, anymore.
It only makes my situation more difficult.

Marcus was here again, today. He comes often, and he always asks for me.
I hate the man.
He's always dirty, and wants me to do filthy, unspeakable things.
I try not to think about it, but my anger at him helps to cease my tears.

It was almost a year ago, when I left my family at Erudite. When I chose Dauntless, I never thought I would return to this place.
I especially never thought that, if I did, it would be to this end.
I'm guessing my family doesn't know that I'm here.
They've either been notified of my "death", or they are blissfully unaware of my shameful existence.

I don't see how I can ever escape this place.
No one that cares about me, knows that I'm alive.
Eric doesn't know that I'm alive...

I start at the sound of the door clicking open, once again.
"Kaitlynn, you are requested in room three," the lady tells me.
How does she live with herself?
They have to know what's going on, behind the closed doors.
I glare at her, as I stand, and walk through the door for the second time today.
I'll never get out of here.