When the Sky Begins to Fall

Chapter Five

Three days later

Caleb's POV:

Amity is a nice place, don't get me wrong; but, I find myself wondering about Kaitlynn.
Is she safe?
Is she with Eric?

I'm pulled from my thoughts, suddenly, when I hear Tris speak.

"We have to kill her," she states, plainly.
Four, who is sitting beside me on the bench, nods his head, and replys, "I know."

"Wait," I begin. "Beatrice, you can't be serious?"
I have to act like myself, even if I do whole-heartedly agree with my sister.
I know the things that Jeanine Matthews has done.

"No, I am serious," she retorts. "None of us are safe until she's dead."

How right you are, Sis...

"You can't just go around killing people," I say, pretending to be shocked.

"No, she's right," Peter pipes up, then. He sits across from Tris. "You should listen to your sister." He swallows the food in his mouth, before continuing, this time addressing my sister.
"You should go to Erudite, and take out Jeanine. Caleb should stay here with me, though. Ya know, so you don't get him killed, too."

There is an uncomfortable silence.

"What did you say?" Beatrice asks, darkly.

"Ya know, like how you got your parents killed?" Peter says, taking another large bite of his food.

I saw it coming.

Tris attacks Peter, throwing the table over, and climbing on top of him, holding a butter knife to his throat, as the boy squirms beneath her.
Four pulls her off of him.

"What do you think you are doing?" Johanna calls, over the disturbed chatter of the peaceful Amity population. "My office; now!"

*********************************************************************************************

"Did I not make myself clear, as to the terms of your sanctuary here?" Johanna begins, pacing back and forth in front of the window, hands clasped together in front of her.
"He was-," Beatrice begins to excuse.
"Did I not make myself clear; yes or no?"

"Johanna, I'm sorry. I can assure you nothing like this will ever happen again."

I gaze out of the window as my sister and her boyfriend try to redeem themselves with Johanna. I can't be bothered to pay attention, as my thoughts drift once again to Kaitlynn.

I hope she is okay.
I hope she is with Eric; its what she would have wanted.
I know she was angry about the things he had done in her absence, but, I knew, if he had the chance to explain himself, she would forgive him.

I look up as a young Amity man runs up the spiral staircase, beckoning for Johanna to come close to him.
I turn my gaze back to the window, and Four joins me.

Dauntless are here; there large, armored trucks ramming down the fence, and trampling crops, in the process.

"They're here," Four states, lowly, just as Johanna hurries back over to us.

"Stay here, and keep quiet," she orders, as she heads down to meet our guests.

We huddle down, waiting for something to happen.
We hear a voice over the intercom, demanding that everyone meet in the dome for mandatory testing.

Four's POV:

I peek out the window, watching as Johanna tries to reason with Max and Eric, whose gun shot wound no longer seems to be a problem for him.
Max turns, heading towards the dome, and Eric pushes past Johanna, entering the building that we are hiding in. I stand quickly, looking around.

"Eric's here," I tell them. "We have to leave."

The others follow me as we creep across the floor, stopping their movements when I throw my hand out and raise a finger to my mouth.

I see Eric, down below us; it won't be long before he comes up here.
I hear a horse neigh, and Eric turns to investigate.
This is our chance.

We make our way over to the window, and Tris opens it quickly, and silently.
I turn to Peter.
"I think we should split up," I tell him. I don't like the guy.
"Okay, alright, yeah," he shrugs it off, like it's nothing. "Yeah, every man for himself right?"
I nod, in agreement.

Something's off.
Peter hesitates momentarily, before rushing over to the railing overlooking the stable, down below.
"Eric! Hey, Eric! They're here! They're up here! Hurry!"

I don't wait to see him coming; I help Tris and Caleb out the window, myself following shortly after, and we jump to the ground, making a break for the tree line, and, hopefully, the train will be going by.

As we run passed the dome, I see my father get hit with the butt of a rifle, and fall to his knees. I find myself not caring.

The sound of gunshots, and glass shattering follows us, as we run for our lives.
There are trucks, and several Dauntless traitors following us, including Eric.
He's is running like an animal; with an inhuman speed, and agility, through the underbrush of the forest.

I see the train coming.
I yell at Tris and Caleb to run, as I turn around, aiming at the trees behind us, providing cover, until I have to reload my weapon.

"Now!" I scream, and Tris turns around, unloading shells, while I run.
They have made it to the other side of the tracks, and the train is fast approaching.
I hope I make it.

I'm running for my life; pushing myself harder than I ever have, before.
It's gonna be close.
I jump, and barely miss getting splattered on the front of the train.

I don't have time to freak out.
We start running again, beside the train.
This is the only hope we have of escaping, right now.

Tris jumps into the car first, and then Caleb, with a little help from his sister.
I jump in last, leaning against the metal, grated wall, and sliding to the floor, trying to catch my breath.

Eric's POV:

Fuck.
They got away!
Shit!
I fire off the remaining rounds in my pistol, at the retreating train, as it makes it way into the city.

Fuck, I was so fucking close.

I feel the blood in my veins, burning, and the adrenaline is pumping through my body at an alarming rate.

I decide to throw a temper tantrum to get rid of some of the excess energy; throwing my weapon to the ground, and screaming in anger.

My phone rings, in my pocket, and I answer it.
I already know who it is.

"Hello, Eric," Jeanine's sickly sweet voice comes through the phone, with a bit of static. "Have you apprehended the fugitives?"
"That's a negative," I say with a growl. I know what this means.
"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Jeanine begins, and I can hear her tapping her fingernails on her desk. "You know what this means, don't you Eric?"

I sigh, in defeat, and despair.
"Yes, ma'am," I answer, hanging my head.
"I'm starting to think you don't really need your medicine," she continues. "The way you keep letting these little shits escape you, almost makes me think that you aren't even trying. Do you like the Divergents, Eric?"

"No, ma'am," I say with a snarl.
"Come back to Erudite, I was prepared for your failure."
"Yes, ma'am."

Stormy's POV:

I don't know if I'll see Eric, ever again.
Chaotic informed me that she saw Eric get shot.
He could be dead.

I don't know what to think about that.
A girl named Christina, lost her boyfriend, too.
His name was Will.
We've been spending a good amount of time together.

Sometimes we talk, but, most of the time, we just in the silence together; grateful for a friend that understands where we're coming from.

She informed me that the leader of Candor, Jack Kang, may hold trials, in the next few days or so, to make sure there are no traitors here, at our safehouse with the honest faction.

I don't know what to think about that.
I came straight from Erudite.
Will they make me stand trial?
What would they make me tell them?

I haven't yet explained to my friends, or anyone else, for that matter, what my time away from Dauntless way like.
They don't push me to answer.
They know I didn't leave, willingly.

I'm just glad not to be at Erudite, anymore.

Caleb's POV:

There was a scuffle, on the train, heading into the city.
Until Four spoke up, and gave his name to the factionless-in-charge.
Tobias Eaton.
Marcus Eaton's son.

I never believed the rumors, before; but, now, after everything I saw at Erudite, and Marcus' many, many visits to Kaitlynn...
They said the boy defected because his father abused him; that he killed the boy's mother when he was young.

As far as the rest of the world was concerned, they were just rumors.
But, I know better, now.

"My dad died, today," he starts, speaking to Tris. "But, I'm actually happy about it."
My sister places a hand on his shoulder.
Sometimes, I think I have a big mouth.

"I couldn't agree more," I admit, both Four and my sister turning to look at me quizzically.
After a moments hesitation, Four speaks up.
"And why is that?" he asks, slowly.

Uh-oh.

I hope I haven't blown my cover. As long as they don't know that Jeanine let me leave with Kaitlynn, with a promise to return to her at Erudite, I will be okay.

I clear my throat a bit, before I answer him.

"I met a girl, at Erudite," I begin, a snarl forming on my lips. "I met her through Marcus, actually. I was exploring the halls, and I saw Marcus, and decided to follow him. We ended up at a dead end, and he ordered the lady to bring the girl out, and he went and waited in a room for her. He raped her; several times a day, every day."

I growl the last part through gritted teeth, pausing a moment to compose myself before continuing.
"Her name was Kaitlynn," I say, sighing in sadness. "She told me that Jeanine had faked her death, because she was in the way of someone she wanted to control. And it worked, too, because-."

Four's POV:

Oh my God.
Stormy is alive.

She's alive...

"Stop," I say, throwing my hands up, and cutting Caleb off. I need a minute to process this.
He looks at me in confusion.

"You knew her?" he asks, after several moments of silence.

"Yeah, yeah I know her," I answer him, taking a deep breath. This is news.
"Where is she? Is still at Erudite?" I ask him, quickly. I hope the answer is no.

"No, I helped her escape, when I heard what was happening. I left her with the other Abnegation, when we went to rescue you," he answers.

I breathe a deep sigh of relief.
She's reachable.
She'll be okay.

If I can be positive of anything, it's that the Dauntless who remain faithful would've taken all the refugees with them into hiding, wherever that may be.

"We're here!" Drew hollers out, and we jump off the train with the factionless, heading into their hideout.

If only Eric knew...

Eric's POV:

I'm never speaking a word to anybody, about what Jeanine makes me do to her... what she does to me.
She only gave me 5ML this time; my body needs more than that to function properly, at this point.

I take what I can get.

I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding, as I feel the familiar burn of the red liquid seeping into my veins.

Jeanine said she had a spy, on the inside, running with the Divergent.
He should be contacting us, any day, now.
I fidget nervously where I sit, and I stand, making my way down to the training room.

I take my anger and energy out on a punching bag.
I yell, as I throw punches and kicks, left and right, spending myself to tire.

My phone rings, for the second time today.
I don't many calls.

It's Jeanine.

"Eric," she begins, and she sounds sympathetic; like I just lost a puppy, or something. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

My loss?

She clearly hears the question in my silence, because she continues.

"Your father, he passed away, today," she stated, simply.

"Oh my God," I say, feeling my stomach drop. "What about my mom? How's she taking this? When is the funeral? How did it happen?" The questions roll off my tongue, quickly.

"Oh," she says, in a tone I can't quite place. "No, Eric, not your adoptive father... your real father."

What?
What the fuck?

"What are you talking about, Jeanine?" I demand, as I feel the blood begin to boil in my veins.
I can almost hear her smirk.
"They never told you? Chris and Karen adopted you, when you were an infant," she explains, and I know my face is turning red. "Your real father was the leader of Abnegation, Marcus Eaton."

What.
The.
Fuck...