Belonging to Lust

Chapter 174: The Assembly

Later on in the afternoon, the announcement was made through the intercoms that it was time to converge into the Gymnasium for the assembly. Since lunch, Zaiyia had calmed down a lot, but was right back to feeling nervous now that she ran out of time. She’d been so preoccupied with the fact that Alice White hadn’t ditched her and was now present at school to speak at this function that she hadn’t had time to equip herself for her own part. Rising with the rest of her class at the teacher’s command, they filed in front of the door in a straight line and were then herded into the gymnasium.

Upon entering, Zaiyia’s eyes flew to her right where the bleachers along the wall had been hauled out to furnish the students filing in. Ascending the steps, the students sat down next to the same students within their classes, leaning forward or backwards to chat amongst them as they waited for the assembly to start. Zaiyia’s heart was racing by the time her class had crossed the threshold, her brown eyes wheezing over the bleachers loading with students then to the opposite side of the gymnasium where the school’s security guards were standing at attention watching the students for any flag of trouble. Zaiyia had to do a double take when one in particular stood out among the others to her.

Chasity’s dad?

Her brows rose in surprise as the FBI Agent turned volunteer security marched the floors in front of the others with an air of authority. She wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out he was hired to be in charge of the team as a whole considering his experience. The sight of Mr. Bennett there inspired her eyes to canvas the rest of security and gradually recognized that some of them were the parents of the students at her school. They too had volunteered! Among them were also the everyday citizens of the town that either didn’t have kids or had ones that have long moved out, but still cared. And Heath as well.

Wait! Heath!?

Halting in her tracks, Zaiyia caused the student behind her to collide right into her with a curse, but she was too busy gawking at the considerable muscle of a man leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his extensive chest. Much like everyone else, he was sporting a bulletproof vest…only his looked tiny on him because of his size.

Unbeknownst to her presence, he was glaring across from him at the student on the bleachers, unaware of who provoked harm on his girl. But when he felt eyes on him, he glanced her way. His sinister green eyes seemed to come to life with vibrancy when his eyes made contact with her, and a smile cracked past his stone exterior.

Zaiyia smiled right back at him as she moved on ahead at the students behind her urgency. Her heart enlarged to a size too infinite to fit in this gymnasium. She couldn’t believe that Heath stuck true to his word and took the time out of his day to be a volunteer for security alongside all these other people. Incredibly touched by this, Zaiyia jumped when she felt her teacher lay a hand on her back to refrain her from climbing the bleachers with the rest of her class. The elderly lady indicated the lower seating area with a bony finger and said. “Ms. Halifax, you get to sit down in front. Principal Quinn’s order.”

Nodding silently, Zaiyia walked along the polished hardwood floor to take a seat on the bottom bleachers, her fingers fidgeting with each other as her nerves sent a cold shiver down her spine. Her brown eyes skimmed over the many students filing in, wondering which would be the one to take the seats on either side of her. As if listening, Heath had closed the distance between them and helped himself to the spot on her left. The office’s security lowered herself to the one on Zaiyia’s right, adjusting the length of her checkered pencil skirt to appear occupied so she could steal glances at Mr. Sullivan.

Heath nudged Zaiyia with his large arm, and smiled whimsically. “So, how’s school been going so far?”

Grinning at him, Zaiyia nudged him with her elbow back, the two not appearing like the lovers they were behind closed doors. “It’s been fine. But dude, I can’t believe you’re actually here right now!”

“Did you think I wasn’t going to show up?” Heath inquired at first, his green eyes locking onto her face. “I meant it when I said I wasn’t going to let anything happen to you.”

Sensing her eyes overflowing with tears, Zaiyia dropped her gaze and leaned her head against his warm strong arm. She was so overjoyed right now she wanted to weep in this man’s arms. Her eyes fell shut when she felt his lips kiss the top of her braids. Her plan was to stay there for as long as she could but that ended up being cut short sooner than she wanted it to.

“Alice is here.” Heath whispered against her braids, his eyes locked on the skittish blonde who started this all unknowingly. He didn’t loath the little girl, but neither was he fond of her. Hopefully after today, depending on how this assembly went, he’d change his mind about her.

Opening her eyes, Zaiyia lifted her head from Heath’s shoulder to watch as the last two people entered the Gymnasium, Principal Quinn with Alice at his side. According to the frail girl’s face, Alice wasn't gonna make it to the conclusion of this assembly. She looked like she was gonna fall into a dead faint at any given moment. Becoming concerned for her friend’s health and safety, Zaiyia sat up and leaned forward in her seat in preparation to sprint forward to be by Alice’s side as soon as the Principal gave her the green light.

Guiding Alice White by a hand on her shoulder, Principal Quinn softly beckoned her to a spot in front of the microphone stand to await her turn. The blond meekly complied, her blue eyes fixed to the floor as she stood at attention, her hair curtaining over her face. Making his stop at the microphone, Principal Quinn took the microphone off the stand, made some adjustments to the buttons on it, then raised it to his lips to speak. “Hello? Can everybody here hear me?”

“YES!” The students flooded the bleachers shouted down, their eyes on him.

“Ah, good!” Principal Quinn said, smiling in jubilation. Turning his attention to Alice, he waved her over to his side, and as soon as she arrived he began the assembly. “Hello, everyone! I hope you all are having a magnificent Friday.”

“YES!” The crowd collectively hollered in response.

“Now, you’re all probably wondering why I summoned you all here today to this assembly. Today’s topic has been kept very confidential and under the table. Your teachers know why we’re here, but none of you do.” Principal Quinn began to expound, his eyes scouring the many youthful faces in the bleachers. “I’ve gathered you all here today to talk about something abhorrent that’s been contaminating our school. That something…is bullying.”

For the first time since entering the gymnasium and answering all of the Principal’s questions, the whole bleachers went deathly quiet. Guilt bombarded the air space and saturated the entire gym.

“This assembly isn’t going to target bullying in general. No, it’s going to focus on one particular victim of bullying that’s had it the worst I’ve ever seen in my career.” Principal Quinn pointed a finger to that student and announced her name for all to hear. “Her name is Zaiyia Halifax.”

All at once, the bleachers detonated into mayhem so powerful it made Zaiyia recoil and close her eyes, needing to keep herself grounded in order to get through this. She knew it would be rough and so she was more adapted than Heath who didn’t take lightly the students shouting out that she was a ‘whore’ among other blasphemy. His immense frame tensed up as he spun in his seat to shoot glares at every student he could, the results making the young targeted teenagers to jerk back like they’d been shredded in the chest by a shotgun. Sensing that their uproar was aggravating him enough to have his imposing muscles swell so largely they threatened to tatter his shirt into pieces right off him, not that she’d complain, Zaiyia set a hand on Heath’s knees and leaned over to whisper to him. “Hey, it’s okay, Heath. This shit ain’t nothing new so you can calm yourself down.”

“It’s new to me.” Heath growled, baring his teeth like a tremendous lion ready to pounce on any of these students at any moment.

“Please, Heath, I need you to keep yourself together and NOT kill anybody here!” Zaiyia begged him, her brown eyes pleading as they remained on his face.

Returning her stare, Heath grumbled out with plain frankness. “No promises.”

“ENOUGH! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU BETTER SHUT YOUR MOUTHS RIGHT THIS INSTANCE!” Principal Quinn exploded in the microphone, drowning out their voices into mouse squeaks. He had started this assembly out civilly, but this insolent reception to Zaiyia’s name alone was offensive and severely jumbled his tranquil approach. It was going to take more than soothing voices and courteous conversation to get through to these students, he could see that now. And he was up to the challenge.