Belonging to Lust

Chapter 177: Self-Worth

Taking the microphone from Zaiyia’s hand while she hugged Alice White in front of the entire school, Principal Quinn stepped around them to address his students sitting on the bleachers that were either in doubt or bewildered. “Ladies and gentlemen, from this moment forward any more harassment verbally or physically targeted at Zaiyia Halifax will equal immediate expulsion from my school. I don’t care what excuse you have, bullying is bullying no matter what way you wanna paint it to look.” He let the consequences of their future actions linger in their ears for a moment before closing the last of the assembly. “Now unless anyone has anything else to say, that'll wrap up this assembly for today. Letters have already been issued out to every one of your parents about this matter in case they have any questions about it and want to call. You all have a terrific weekend and I’ll see you next week!”

Chatter arose as each teacher took immediate action to shepherd their students down from the bleachers and to their buses. Zaiyia and Alice stayed behind to watch all the teenagers file out of the gymnasium. Heath deviated away to remove his security vest and return it to the team of security standing by the lines of students exiting through the double doors. Chastity, Monique, Assata, and Aishah deserted their classes to race over to Alice and Zaiyia to embrace them for a job well done. Everyone was so proud of how the assembly turned out.

Rearing back, Zaiyia gazed with emotions in her brown eyes at the four young women that had no involvement in all this bullying nonsense but still chose to stand for justice against all the odds. “Oh my god, you guys! I can’t fucking believe you all stood up for me like that!”

“I’m sure I speak for all of us when I say that we couldn’t just sit there and let them say all those horrible things about you.” Chastity said with an upbeat smile. “We had to speak up. I had to speak up.”

“Yeah, girl, we couldn’t stand all that fuckery going on around us.” Aishah confirmed with a nod.

“Plus we didn’t want our little sister to get her ass kicked by the entire school for being the one to speak out first.” Assata quipped with a wink, draping an arm around Monnique’s shoulders.

“Oh, whatever. I was perfectly fine.” Monique muttered, rolling her eyes at her sisters. Though they spoke the truth, she didn’t have to admit it out loud to them.

As much as Zaiyia appreciated to death every single one of these courageous young women, she wanted to shower glory on Alice White first for the fragile girl who had done what she didn’t think she could. She was a doubter that had turned into a believer. But when Zaiyia turned to face Alice the blonde wasn’t at all paying attention to her or the other girls. No, her blue eyes were locked on Alan who was walking in line with his class out of the gymnasium. His eyes chose to lock on Alice at the exact moment too, ebbing his steps enough to have his friends behind him playfully shove him forward.

And it was at that moment that Zaiyia recalled a deal she made long ago. A deal that felt like centuries ago. She didn’t remember where this promise took place, she only remembered making it. The deal would be that if Alice could do the impossible by helping her thwart the bullies, she’d do her very best to hook Alan and Alice back together again. Her choice of words might have actually been that she'd make it her life’s purpose to see them as a couple again.

Did Alan deserve a girl like Alice back in his life after he tossed her away like an empty box of donuts?

Hell no, he didn’t!

But this wasn’t about him. This was about Alice and what she wanted. Back then, she wanted Alan and Zaiyia suspected that hadn’t changed much since.

Placing a hand on Alice’s shoulder and accidentally startling the feeble girl, Zaiyia smiled apologetically at her and then inquired softly. “Hey, girl. You okay?”

Breaking her gaze from her ex who could still set her heart racing, Alice looked directly into Zaiyia’s and smiled at her with a smile she was sure they’d find pretty convincing. “I am.”

“Alice, it’s okay, honey. You can be honest with us. We can see as clear as day that you miss Alan.” Zaiyia nudged her encouragingly before leaning over to remind her. “Don’t forget our little deal, missy. I’m gonna help you get your man back.”

Doing a double take at Zaiyia, Alice uttered. “What?”

Seeing that Alice was serious and that she had no idea what she was talking about, Zaiyia’s smile dropped with concern. “You don’t remember our deal? About you and Alan?”

Alice frowned, unable to recall that particular conversation.

“I promised you that I’d do whatever I could in my power to hook you and Alan back together if you were able to help me stop the bullying. Does any of that ring a bell?” Zaiyia clarified, arching a brow.

“Aww Zaiyia, that’s so sweet of you!” Chasity gushed, clasping her hands together and leaning her cheek against the back of them. She practically had hearts in her eyes.

Glancing back at the double doors of the gymnasium where Alan had gone through not too long ago, Alice let out a weary sigh. “Yeah, um…no thank you, Zaiyia.”

Jaws dropped. Everyone went into a state of shock as they gaped at each other like a group of fishes.

“Excuse me, Alice, but what the fuck do you mean by that?” Aishah inserted herself, poking a finger at Alice’s shoulder. “Cause Imma need you to break it down for me.”

Turning her attention to her group of friends, Alice could see the shock on their faces and understand it well enough. She couldn’t believe those words had left her mouth either. Since they’ve met, Alice was always known as the girl completely besotted by her ex. But she didn’t want to be that girl anymore. Meeting Zaiyia and her friends helped her see her own self-worth that she never knew she had a right to have. “I don’t want Zaiyia to hook me and Alan back together again.”

Concern Alice was about to have some nervous breakdown on them and wasn’t aware of it, Chastity surveyed her hard when she inquired gently. “Why not? You seemed to really like the guy.”

“More like bat shit crazy about him.” Assata muttered to Chasity before addressing Alice. “So what? You don’t want his lame ass no more?”

“No, I don’t. I’m gonna move on from Alan.” Alice confirmed with a firm nod, her eyes flitting to Zaiyia. “Zaiyia was right all along. He doesn’t give a shit about me.”

Despite her confession making Monique’s heart ache for her, she was mostly proud of Alice. “Damn, girl. I can’t tell you how proud I am of your growth and that you’ve started to put yourself first for once. I’m not gonna lie though, I do feel bad that the thing you wanted most of all ain’t fixing to happen for you. Is there any other way we can repay you for sticking true to your promise to Zaiyia? Anything at all?”

“Be my friends. That’s all I can ever ask you guys.” Alice answered truthfully, a sincere smile on her face.

“Bitch, do you even need to ask?” Aishah playfully dismissed her request before they pulled the young blonde into a warm group hug.

“Ladies ladies, congratulations on a job well done!” Principal Quinn interrupted with Heath at his side, dwarfing him with all those muscles and height. “I couldn’t be more proud of you two!”

“We should be thanking you, Principal Quinn, for involving yourself so heroically and making this all possible. And safe for us.” Alice said on behalf of her and Zaiyia who smiled beside her.

“Not all leaders listen to their students, but you did.” Heath added in appreciation as well.

“All I need in thanks is to see a permanent change in this school of mine.” Principal Quinn dismissed their thanks with a smile. Turning his focus to Zaiyia, he stated firmly. “And you, young lady, I expect to come straight to me if ANYONE tries to bully you again! No taking matters into your own hands.”

“She will.” Heath vowed for Zaiyia before she could, setting a large hand on her shoulder to give it a cautionary squeeze that she better heed her Principal’s words.

“I swear to ALL of you that I won’t.” Zaiyia promised from the bottom of her heart. “I’m not gonna be out here looking stupid ever again, I can promise you that!”