Belonging to Lust

Chapter 196: Her Haters Was Atoning

“It’s…normal for the feeling of love to ease with time, so I hear.” Zaiyia told Alice as they stood in the girl’s bathroom at school. After having no choice but to kick an obstinate Alan in the balls for hounding her, she fled into the nearest bathroom believing that Alice, who had witnessed the whole thing, would hate her for life again for being tailed by her ex-boyfriend. Luckily for her, Alice believed her side of the story, and had even let it slip that she was still in love with Alan. Moving delicately along with this, Zaiyia gave Alice a supportive smile in her endeavor to move on from him. “It doesn’t always dissolve away into thin air with the snap of your fingers, you know? No matter how much you want to get over it and move on with your life.”

“Thanks.” Alice told her softly, appreciating some friendly advice on the matter.

Suddenly, the bathroom door swung open, discontinuing the two girls. In strode both Madelaine Blossom and Carmen Lodge, the very same girls that ambushed Zaiyia in the hallways alongside Betty Reinhart once upon a time. Zaiyia’s brown eyes widened at the thought of another encounter with them and immediately stepped back in preparation for an incoming assault from either one. But neither Red-Head or Brunette paid her any mind. They were focused solely on Alice.

Closing the distance between them first, Carmen placed a hand on Alice’s arm. “Honey, are you okay?”

Madelaine came up right beside Carmen, inserting her response before the blonde could subdue their overprotective concerns for her wellbeing. “We saw Alan out in the hallway, and what went down. We wanted to make sure you were alright.”

“I’m perfectly fine, you guys! You don’t have to worry about me. I’m great.” Alice assured them each with a hearty squeeze to their shoulders. She beamed at them both for being such considerate women towards her and her history with Alan. “But thank you anyway for looking out for me, as always.”

“We’ll always look after you, Alice!” Carmen vowed on both their behalf. “We got your backs through anything and everything.”

Madelaine added in with a tender smile. “We love you like a sister, Alice. Nothing will ever change that.”

“I love you guys too.” Alice told them wholeheartedly.

All of a sudden, both Madeleine and Carmen glanced over their shoulders where Zaiyia stood in the background, glaring at them in warning to not mess with her today. Alice’s friends both stared back at her, only their eyes spoke differently. Alice scrutinized them real hard and spotted…remorse?

Remorse!

Instantly, a smile of faith stretched across Alice’s lips as she stepped around her friends to properly introduce them Zaiyia herself. This was an opportunity to form a bridge between her friends and Zaiyia in hopes of them starting all over again on a nice clean slate. “Ladies, I’d like to introduce you to one of my dearest friends, Zaiyia Halifax.”

“Hi, Zaiyia.” Madelaine whispered, turning to fully face the girl with big eyes riddled with guilt. The last time she saw Zaiyia was on her knees getting hit with a stolen police baton that belonged to Chasity’s father. And now, here they were, being introduced to one another as if that assault had never taken place.

“Hey, Zaiyia.” Carmen whispered next with a weak wave. Never did she ever think she’d be in a position that was the complete opposite of when they first met. Zaiyia had been an infernal adversary of Alice then, and now an ally. All of Alice’s friends were companions to one another. All except for Zaiyia Halifax. But that was about to change. Carmen could sense it, and she was ready for it. Ready to do the right thing for a change.

Looking to Zaiyia, Alice next introduced her to her two friends. “Zaiyia Halifax, these are some of my oldest friends, Carmen Lodge, and Madelaine Blossom.”

Zaiyia wanted to scoff these two delinquents off and their flimsy greeting. She couldn’t believe that they had the gall to stand in front of her and act like this, like they hadn’t ever condemned her in life or thought ugly of her. Prepared to cuss them out with the veracity of a Cobra, Zaiyia regrettably caught sight of the ray of sunshine that was Alice’s beaming face. Lord, she was expecting her to greet them just as cordially right back?!

Over her dead body!

Shooting Alice a ‘are you fucking kidding me, right now?’ look, Zaiyia was annoyed to receive a nod of encouragement back along with an angelic smile that had more faith in her than the blonde should. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes and groan aloud with irritation, Zaiyia unpleasantly grumbled between clenched teeth. “Sup.”

“I’M SORRY, ZAIYIA!” Carmen frantically blurted, almost lurching forward as if the words were pulled up from her gut. Her deep brown eyes suddenly magnified in size as she let out a gasp for her blunt outburst and covered her mouth.

Alice was staring at her in amazement, her angelic smile stretching even wider as the marvel she was going for was finally starting to manifest before her very eyes.

In disbelief, a dazed Zaiyia gaped at her too. She thought herself to be at a complete loss for words before she whispered. “What?”

From beside her, Madelaine gaped at Carmen, not believing she had spoken those words in such an urgent manner of mercy. It would have looked totally pathetic of her friend to have done had she not been pining to do it herself. The difference between her and Carmen, it would seem, was that the brunette had the balls to say it first. Madelaine couldn’t be more proud of her for that.

Taking this silence as her moment, Carmen cleared her throat, and straightened her back to renew. “I said I’m sorry.”

“What are you sorry for, Carmen?” Alice motivated her to continue like a mother would to a child.

“I’m sorry for bullying you, Zaiyia, alongside the rest of my friends.” Carmen expressed to Zaiyia so wholeheartedly it felt like they were the only two people in the bathroom. “I genuinely apologize from the bottom of my heart for attacking you in the hallway when you were alone and defenseless.”

“...wow.” Zaiyia muttered, unable to come up with anything else to say. As convincing as Carmen’s apology was, it was really hard to believe that this was happening right now. That one of her haters was atoning for their savage attack on her.

Looking to Zaiyia again, Alice continued the role as the mediator. “Zaiyia, how does Carmen’s apology make you feel?”

Flashing Alice a brief look, Zaiyia wished she’d drop this bizarre saintly act she decided to put on. She truthfully had no idea what she was supposed to be feeling right now. But she knew what was expected of her to say. What Alice wanted her to say. “Thank you for your apology, Carmen. I accept it.”

Carmen looked like a weight had been lifted off of her shoulder. Alice wanted to grant the same opportunity to Madelaine too. “Madelaine, is there something you wanna say to Zaiyia too?”

Nodding along, Madelaine looked at Zaiyia. “I wanted to say I’m sorry for bullying you too. It wasn’t ever right, no matter the circumstances. It’s completely out of my character too. I wish everyday I could take it back and start over with you, as friends.”

“I accept your apology too, Madelaine. Thank you.” Zaiyia told her in a very halfhearted robotic tone.

While an overjoyed Alice clapped her hands to rejoice, Madelained stepped forward and opened her arms to Zaiyia for an embrace. “Can I give you a hug?”

When Zaiyia balked and looked like she was gonna threaten the girl back by threatening to cut her throat open with her own house keys, Alice hurriedly spoke for her instead. “That sounds like a wonderful idea! Group hug, everyone!”

Everyone closed in and hugged a tense Zaiyia as she cringed over their shoulders. The school girl giggles were making her sick to her stomach, but she withstood it until the bell went off and they all had to go to their classes. Bidding them goodbye, Zaiyia visibly gagged when she rounded the corner from them.