Belonging to Lust

Chapter 207: Relinquishment

Throughout the rest of the day, Zaiyia couldn’t help but notice that wherever the hell Chasity was in school, Alan was lurking not too far behind, eyeing the redhead. It wasn’t something she could easily let go of when her gut was telling her something wasn’t right about it. She could only pray that his consistent stalking wasn’t due to him seeking answers from Chasity again like he had the last time…but sadly that was exactly what her guts were telling her was the case. Chalking it up as potential paranoia, Zaiyia made a decision to wait things out and see what happens this time around instead of reacting.

While on her way to lunch, Alice White took that moment to magically appear right next to Zaiyia with a beaming smile that could light up a football stadium. “Hi, Zaiyia!”

Startled by Alice’s unpredictable arrival, Zaiyia snapped her head in her direction and let out a laugh for having been startled so easily. Draping her arm around the young blonde, she gave her a side hug that was gleefully reciprocated. “Hey, you! I’m glad you’re here. It feels like weeks since I last saw you.”

“Isn’t that weird?” Alice conceded, frowning at the mystery of it.

Since she hadn’t seen Alice since she and her young siblings were taken down to the Police Station by Agent Bennett, Zaiyia had to get an update on how things were going for her. In a low voice, she asked. “Yeah, um, how is the whole CPS and dirtbag father thing going along? I’ve been meaning to bring it up to you several times, but…it just didn’t feel right to discuss it over the phone, you know?”

Alice greatly appreciated Zaiyia’s thoughtfulness and was more than happy to fill her in. The only problem was their current location. Not wanting to discuss this in the hallways where other students were in close proximity to eavesdropping, Alice indicated with a nod down a vacant hallway where double doors led outside to an empty seating area for students and teachers alike to enjoy. The two silently made their way to the exit and stepped out to commune at a round stone table.

“Thanks for taking the time to ask me what’s going on in person, Zaiyia.” Alice thanked her firstly as she took her seat. Clasping her hands together on the cold stone tabletop, she took a deep breath and then unloaded everything. “On Wednesday night, my father got arrested. He was found downtown at a local pub, drunk out of his mind and causing a public disturbance.”

“Holy shit.” Zaiyia whispered, her brown eyes widening in surprise. “I can’t believe it took them this long to find him.”

“Yeah, I can’t believe it either! I have to admit, when I consider the title ‘town drunk’ I envision a person much easier to track down than a criminal on the run. Especially when you take into account how often my father is stumbling through the streets drunk practically every night.” Alice shared with a look of disappointment, shaking her head in disbelief. “Him being the only town drunk should’ve made him the easiest person in the world to find!”

Zaiyia honestly didn’t give a damn about Mr. White asked of his wellbeing. She wanted to know how his daughter fared instead. “So, how are you doing knowing he’s arrested and behind bars now? Are you okay?”

Alice took her time on answering. She wanted to give Zaiyia the full truth, the behind the scene unbarred version of her life. She owed her that much. “When I first got the call that he was found and locked up…I was very shocked to find that I didn’t care about his state at the time. I don’t know, I just…I thought I’d feel something you know? But all I felt was emptiness like they were calling me about a complete stranger. Hell, I’d have probably felt more for a complete stranger over my dad at that point!”

Covering her mouth with both hands to swallow a bark of laughter back down, Zaiyia cleared her throat before apologizing. “I’m sorry, girl. I shouldn’t find that funny. Total bad timing on my part.”

“It’s fine.” Alice forgave her with a brief accepting smile. “Do you wanna hear what really became the biggest shock later though? It was something my father told the officers when they brought him in.”

“Hell yeah!” Zaiyia welcomed, fully prepared to hear whatever info Alice was about to drop. “What did he tell them, some stupid lie that he was the Model Father of the Year?”

“No, my father…he actually justified the abuse he did to us to the officers!” Alice exposed, her blue eyes wide not with hurt, but complete shock that these words she was about to relay to her friend came out of her own sperm donor’s mouth. “He claimed he had every right to harm us the way he did simply because he was our father!”

“WHAT!?” Zaiyia shouted in their barren surroundings, furiously slapping a hand on the stone tabletop. Biting back a yelp from the stinging pain on her palm, she looked away with a shake of her head. “That disgusting sonofabitch!”

Relishing in Zaiyia’s mutual hatred for her father, Alice continued onward, wrapping up the information the authorities told her. “But I guess if we have to put sprinkles, whip cream, and a cherry on top of all these recent bullshits, he did one last deed for us…and it was actually a good one.”

“A good deed? What possible good deed could your father have given to you and your siblings after all the hell he put you through?” Zaiyia demanded to know, not seeing any angelic aid this abusive man could bestow on his battered children that could begin to make any amends of his crimes.

“He voluntarily gave up his parental right to me and my brother and sister.” Alice informed her, her blue glistening with both excitement for the future and what it held for her siblings and herself, and relief at being set free finally. “The officers told me it’s a process called Relinquishment.”

Zaiyia’s jaw dropped. It took awhile before she recovered from it to form a sentence. “Are you for real!?”

Alice nodded enthusiastically. “According to his statement, my father had no desire to get his act together, even for the sake of his own children. He told the officers he didn't care to get either one of us back in his custody.”

“...wow…” Zaiyia breathed, utterly speechless. She knew Mr. White was a despicable excuse of a man, but she didn’t think he had the heart to set his children free from his own vile grasp. Or maybe he didn’t do it to save his kids from the monster that he was. Maybe he only spoke the truth, he truly didn’t give a damn about his amazing kids. “So…what happens now? Your dad is off the streets and behind bars, he’s relinquishing all parental rights on you and your siblings. What does this mean for you guys?”

“It only means adoption from here considering neither of my parents had family. That is if we’re lucky to get adopted together.” Alice sighed, appearing less forlorn at the idea than before. “You know, I have to say…I’m so incredibly touched by how everyone is working so hard to keep us together instead of having us separated in the adoption process. I can tell they’re doing everything they can.”

“Fucking bless those motherfuckers for that!” Zaiyia praised them in her own colorful way. “Have there been any takers yet since you've been in protective custody?”

“There actually has and…it’s actually the reason why I came looking for you in the first place! I wanted you to be the first to hear the good news. ” Alice expressed to her with a giddy smile on her face.

“Well? Here I am! Tell me the good news already, girl!” Zaiyia encouraged her, laughing at the excitement on Alice’s face. She looked about ready to pop from withholding the news back for so long.

“A couple by the name of Parsons are interested in adopting the three of us together. Unfortunately, they’re barren but have always wanted children of their own so they started looking into adopting. Mrs. Parson works at the local daycare and so she’s already familiar with both Molly and Levi.” Alice informed her, watching a lightbulb flicker on and off in Zaiyia’s eyes at the mention of their name. At first she thought that Zaiyiaa did indeed know the name Parson.

Speechless once again, Zaiyia covered her open mouth with one hand. She couldn’t believe what Alice just told her! The happy blond girl was practically glowing from the news of being possibly adopted. It didn’t stop Zaiyia from asking more about this mystery couple though. “Wait, have you met them yet?”

“We sure have.” Alice confirmed with a nod.

“And, what do you think of them?” Zaiyia inquired, wanting to hear her opinion on the nice couple.

“I don’t want to get my hopes up about them but…I can’t lie, I get a good feeling when I’m with them. So does Molly and Levi.” Alice expressed, shivering with excitement that they could be their new adoptive parents. But what she found intriguing was that her friend hadn't picked up on the name Parson that should be familiar to her. “Wow, Zaiyia! I thought you would’ve recognized their names!”