Belonging to Lust

Chapter 222: Some Stupid Ass Daughter!?

Neither Heath nor Zaiyia said a word to each other during the ride back to the house. He stayed silently grumping on the driver’s side of the truck, still seething over catching his girl sneaking out of the house to meet Alan of all people behind his back! A mute Zaiyia sat on the passenger side of the truck, aimlessly staring out her window and fighting back the tears that made her plump bottom lip perpetually quiver. She couldn’t believe what had happened. It was only supposed to be a fast secret meeting with Alan and then a swift return back to the house before Heath showed up! Only it hadn’t gone that way, Heath just so happened to have driven by and caught them red-handed in the act of cordially chatting.

And oh, what a crime it had been to commit!

To say that Zaiyia was hurt by Heath’s parting words to Alan was an understatement. She was thoroughly broken, shredded into pieces like she was hurled into a wood chipper instead of humiliated in front of the townspeople by Heath’s violent and uproarious reaction. As much as she loved the towering giant of hot muscles next to her, she despised him right now. She had planned to keep her mouth shut for now and then flee into the protection house as the truck drove up the driveway and parked, but...her emotions were building up, and decided to take matters into their own hands. With brown eyes overfilled with tears ever since they abruptly left the Main Square of Town, Zaiyia turned her head towards Heath to pin him in his seat as she quoted him in an unsteady whisper. “Bother someone else’s stupid daughter?”

Heath hadn’t expected her to speak up first and neither did he expect her to say that. Not placing his own words, he frowned at her before recalling those them coming out of his mouth when he finally forfeited his temper with Alan. He had called her ‘someone else’s stupid daughter’ out of a blind rage without thinking, and his Zaiyia had heard it from within his truck.

Damnit!

Cursing himself for letting his mouth run wild and unchecked, Heath exhaled a heavy sigh and leaned his head back against his headrest. Self-loathing began to swallow him, making him wish he could step out of the truck and let it magically run him down. He’d deserved it. With everything that happened today, the last thing he wanted was to hurt his Zaiyia, and yet his poor word choice did exactly that. Propping his left arm on the window sill of his door, Heath turned his head in that direction to rub his closed eyes with his finger, trying to chase the tension from him so he could retake what little control of his former self that he could. With his consistent bad luck, he was getting nowhere. He was still at square one where he didn’t know what he should say to Zaiyia.

Was there any remorse for losing his temper the way he did?

Well, that depends. He didn’t regret exploding at Alan the way he did, a crowd of townspeople as onlookers or not. But he did regret doing all of it in front of Zaiyia.

Did he regret calling Zaiyia ‘someone else’s stupid daughter?’

Absolutely! Never in his wildest dream would he have said that had he had his temper under tight reins. There hasn’t been a time since they met when he thought Zaiyia Halifax was stupid! He hoped when Yovela first told him about her that she wouldn’t grow up to be one of those stupid girls that make one giant mistake that ruined their entire lives, but that was it! Never did he think she was stupid and that still applies to this day! Knowing he had to say something, ANYTHING, Heath mumbled out. “Zaiyia, I d-”

Cutting Heath off with the matching momentum and annihilation as a sharpened machete, Zaiyia yells at him, not caring who in their neighborhood overheard their unruly bickering. “Is that what you really think of me, Heath, as someone’s stupid fucking daughter!? A kid who can’t tell the sky from a pool?”

“NO!” Heath shouted back, snapping his head in Zaiyia’s direction for the first time since he hauled her into his truck back in town. At first, his face was twisted in hatred towards himself, but when he saw the tears running down her petal-soft cheeks, his features instantly softened with despair. His tone dwindled too when he whispered to her. “Baby, that’s not what I think of you, okay? I’ve never thought you were someone’s stupid daughter. You’re more than that. You’ve always been.”

“Then why say it!?” Zaiyia demanded to know, not letting this go. She couldn't stem the tears from falling, from clouding her vision of him completely, or her lips from repeatedly trembling. Her eyes remained on him despite her shortage of perception, displaying all the pain she couldn’t hide away until she got into the privacy of her room. “Why say it if you don’t believe I’m some stupid ass daughter?!”

Heath didn’t want to go back there again. He’d rather stay where he felt better in command of his emotions. But Zaiyia demanded answers and deserved them for what he did. He’d be an even bigger jerk if he didn't give them to her, but man it was gonna be a challenge not to lose his temper all over again!

“It’s because I was pissed off that you went and saw that prick behind my back when I specifically told you to stay away from him!” Heath tried to explain but it sounded like he was defending his actions rather than expounding on them. And the mention of Alan only made things worse. Much much worse. So worse that he found himself sliding back into the same fury he thought he’d left behind at the Main Square. Narrowing his eyes down at Zaiyia, he began to goad her. “How about we talk about that part instead, hmm? Why did you feel the need to sneak out of the house and see that little asshole behind my back, Zaiyia?”

Crossing her arms over her chest, Zaiyia turned her eyes to the front. “I don’t wanna talk about this.”

Of course! Heath should’ve known Zaiyia would be evasive about her precious Alan. Shaking his head with an incredulous look on his face, Heath points a finger towards the house. “That’s fine then. You're gonna keep your mouth shut about your little boyfriend, then you can take your ass up to your room and stay there until you're good and ready to talk!”

Zaiyia badly wanted to snap at Heath to go screw himself. But then she thought better of it and decided to hit below the belt to piss him off more for hurting her. As she unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the passenger door to climb out, she turned to close the door behind her and slipped out just in time. “As you say, DAD!”

Not giving him a chance to respond back, Zaiyia slammed the door shut before rounding the vehicle.

“DON’T FUCKING CALL ME THAT!” Heath bellowed at her from the inside of his truck. It took everything to keep himself from going after her and giving her a damn good talking about taking stabs at him like that. Especially due to their secret intimate relationship. Her calling him ‘dad’ only served as a reminder of the position they were supposed to have in each other’s life, what he gave up to be with her. It felt like a slap to the face.

Ignoring Heath’s bellyaching, Zaiyia stomped all the way into the main house, then to her guest house. Every door she passed through was violently slammed shut behind her along the way. When she finally reached her destination, Zaiyia silently walked to her window seat to take a seat. Not wishing to see the main house where Heath lived, she whipped the curtains completely shut as she sat there alone.

As far as Zaiyia was concerned she didn’t want to see Heath Sullivan ever again! In fact, she didn’t want to speak to him ever again too!

Tugging her phone out of her jacket pocket, Zaiyia began to text an apology text to Alan for Heath's impolite behavior this morning and that no matter what he said, she still wanted to help him get Alice back. She didn’t have to wait long at all for a response and was just about to set her phone aside when it buzzed, signaling a text message. Checking it out, she smiled when she read Alan’s message telling her he was glad to hear that she was still in. Feeling slightly better, she tossed her phone aside. Her smile lessened as she replayed the fight that happened between her and Heath.

It sucked that Zaiyia had nothing else to do with her time but to be reminded of sore times such as that. All her homework had been completed in between classes. To make matters worse she was somehow getting hungry again after engulfing almost all of the feast Alan bought her from McDonald's before they met up. Her dear leftover, a single pristine Big Mac, was lost somewhere on the ground of the Main Square when Heath showed up and towed her away.

Letting out a dissatisfied whine, Zaiyia drew her bent knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. Lowering her forehead to rest it on top of her knees, she forced herself to re-live both disputes. It hurt to do it, but she wanted to feel better sooner. There was a second of relief but then the tears began to fall as she silently cried to herself. Repeatedly her mind wondered if after all this time he really thought she was the stupid daughter of Yovela Halifax. Did he truly think she was some naive dim-witted idiot who could be easily taken advantage of by others, perhaps even a grown man like himself?

And if Heath did think so, would that wreck the everlasting love she had for him?