That Moment

That Moment: When I said yes.

I sat with my knees squished up to my chest in the back of the dark SUV, silently questioning that moment I said yes to this job.

The scratchy noise of the radio interrupted my thoughts as he began to give the two minute warning. “Leland, if you could just say that a little louder for the camera, I would appreciate it.” I commanded from my tiny little seat. He glances up, looking at me through the rear view mirror and continues to drive. I shot a look over to the camera guy, Jack, who gave me that look like, ‘I told you so.’ A moment later a thunderous, “TWO MINUTE WARNING” rattles throughout the vehicle. “Asshole” I thought to myself as Leland smirks at me while looking at the rear view mirror again.

Truth was, Jack had ‘told me so’ not twenty minutes before I had climbed in the back of the SUV. “I’m just letting you know, he’s been...moody for the past few months.” he warned. I gave a small laugh saying, “He won’t get to me, I promise.” Jack shrugs his shoulders and climbs into the vehicle.

I had taken a job as the Field Producer for Dog and Beth on the Hunt after the previous producer retired. I was told by the Executive Producer of the show that they wanted a big push from Leland this season and I was to do anything within my power to get more out of him. More face time, more commentary, more behind the scenes type things, more, more, more. It wasn’t a surprise to me, he was obviously the best looking thing on the show. Women flocked to the man, I couldn’t understand why. Lately his attitude was beginning to show and he avoided the camera guys and ignored the field producer. I wondered if that might have been the reason the last producer retired. Surely, he couldn’t be that bad.

Leland pulled slowly down a dirt road, there were no streetlights and very few houses, it was creepy to say the least. “Doesn't this freak you out Jack?” I whisper, leaning closer as to not be heard by the camera. “Nah, I guess you get use to it after a while.” Being a city girl, this backwoods, dirt road thing was new to me. “Leland will protect you.” Jack says with a wink. I cut my eyes at him before stepping out of the SUV

“You need to stay in the car.” Leland says harshly before running around to the back of the house. “I will not!” I reply with a huff, running behind Jack, who was Leland’s dedicated camera guy.

I stood as still as humanly possible, leaning against the side of the old, rundown house, trying not only to stay out of the scene but also avoid anyone that might come out of the house.

Leland stood ready, waiting for someone to come out the back door. My heart felt like it was pounding all the way in my throat. Suddenly the back door flies open and out comes the fugitive. Things were moving in slow motion, expletives where flying out of everyone’s mouth, I heard the crack of a taser and the thump, thump of his pepper ball gun. Jack was in the middle of all the action trying his best to film. I took a chance and leaned around the corner only to be hit by a pepper ball in the shoulder. Screaming, I took off running for the SUV, not really caring what happened in the back of the house.

I pulled my long sleeved shirt off, thankfully I was wearing a tank top underneath. “Son of a bitch!” I screamed looking down at the welt that was forming on my skin. After a few minutes the crew had returned, I hopped back into my tiny seat, coughing as the mace started to reach my eyes. “Told you to stay in the car.” the bastard says, shutting the door and driving off. “Nice tits by the way.”
♠ ♠ ♠
If you would like to read more you can check out my Fan Fic board: http://bountyhunterfiction.proboards.com/thread/214/new-moment#ixzz3iQTjjuIp