That Moment

That Moment: When he follows you to a bar.

“I need you to say that again Leland, we’re having some sound issues.” I say, kicking a few rocks with my shoe, I couldn’t look him in the eyes after what happened last night. He clears his throat and says with a wink, “Had fun last night.” and walks off.

“Bastard!” I shouted at his retreating form.

“What was that all about?” Jack inquires, making a face at me as we both head back toward the car.

“Don't worry about it.”

Giving in to the fact that we were in my hometown, I decided to visit my favorite hole in the wall bar that night, The Black Penny. Halfway through my second drink, I hear a familiar voice order a beer and sit down beside me. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” I mumbled, turning toward Leland. “Are you following me now?”

He chugs down the beer, ordering another one for himself and a drink for me. “Thank you Gavin.” I say as the bartender sits the drink down. Leland slides the drink toward me, our fingertips barely touching as I pick the drink up and place the glass to my lips.

After finishing his second beer and without ever speaking to me, he leaves me sitting alone. A few drinks later I see him sitting in a corner booth surrounded by long legged, big boobed women. What was the appeal? I wondered,maybe it was the “celebrity” they were drawn to because if they knew the real Leland Chapman, the one I had to put up with day and night, he’d be sitting alone.

Walking out of the bar, he caught my eye, both of us staring the other down as I stepped out into the cold New Orleans night.

Monday morning I slowly opened my eyes, the bright rays of the early morning sun peeking through the gauzy white curtains. Feeling a warm arm wrapped protectively around my waist, I turned my head and saw a pair of dark brown eyes looking back at me.

“Good morning beautiful.” he says, leaning in the kiss my bare shoulder.

A shiver runs through me, “I can’t believe you’re here...in my bed.” I replied, licking my dry lips, the tang of alcohol still filled my taste buds.

Sighing and sitting up on the side of the bed, he throws a glance over his shoulder as he slips a shirt over his head and says, “Well, you texted me babe. Begged me to come to your room.”

The memories of the previous night were foggy as I tried to remember what had brought us to this point. How could I have resorted to this, was I really that desperate?

“The last thing I would do is beg you for anything. Now get out of my room, I have to pack.”

Later that morning as I rolled my large suitcase behind me toward the elevator I ran into Leland. I couldn’t get away from him, there was no such thing as alone time anymore. He steps up beside me as I pushed the down button on the elevator.

“So you took a random dude back to your room with you last night?” he asks, smirking like the jackass that he was.

Cutting my eyes at him, I say, “He wasn’t a random dude, asshole. He’s my Ex. Not that I owe you any explanations.”

The loud ‘ding’ of the elevator interrupts our stare down. He grabs his luggage and steps in, pushing the Ground Floor button. “And they call me a whore.” he states, with a raised eyebrow as the door closes in my face, leaving me standing there speechless.