That Moment

That Moment: When you just know.

For the next few days Leland and I stole as many moments together as we could. He kissed me as I loaded my belongings into the SUV every morning before anyone else got outside. I would hold his hand under the table during our daily rundown meetings. It was exciting to feel that rush of what I thought was new love. In my mind I hoped that no one had noticed the change in our attitude toward each other but I’m sure they had.

“Leland..” I giggled as he slapped my ass when he walked past me. “Stop!” I hissed, playfully swatting him back.

As much as we began to tease one another these past few days we just hadn’t had a moment to connect.

“I want to see you tonight.” I whispered in his ear as we sat down to dinner with his family and the crew. We were celebrating the last day of filming. He reaches under the table and squeezes my thigh, a silent answer to my request.

Later that night I had checked my phone for the fifth time, wondering when he might show up. He had a key to my room that I’d given him earlier. Why wasn’t he here yet? Checking the phone again it was 1:00 am, I decided to take matters into my own hands and sent him a text.

Me: Do you think you’ll make it tonight?
Leland: Trying to. Give me a min.
Me: Ok.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew my alarm was going off at 7:00 am. I rubbed my eyes and picked up my phone. The green text alert was flashing.

Leland: Not going to make it (sent 2:34 am)

“Bastard” I huffed, throwing my phone down. I got stood up by a man that had been pursuing me all week long. I didn’t bother to reply.

As I lay there staring at the ceiling so many thoughts were swirling around in my head. What would I do now? What did this mean? Why hadn’t he come to my room last night after he had already told me he would?

Was I not good enough for him?

I’d done my research on his Exes. I didn’t look like them at all. They were dark haired, exotic looking women with big breasts and long legs. And while I had the long legs, my wavy brown hair and brown eyes were anything but exotic. I was just your average white girl from a middle class Southern family. What could I possibly bring to the table in that regard?

I sat on the edge of my bed and made my decision. I was going back home to New Orleans. If Leland didn’t want me, I didn’t need him! I packed my bags and called a taxi to take me to the airport.

I flew out of Las Vegas without so much as a goodbye to Leland or his family.