Woman of the Sea

Chapter Two

Since it was the last day of school classes only lasted till noon. A lot of yearbook signing but no good-byes or see you next school year because all of us were bound to see each other every day over summer break. When your grade only has 28 people in it, it’s hard not to see them every day.

When the bell rang I linked arms with Jenny and together we walked to our tree to wait for the guys. “I’m so happy for Geometry to be over, that class was so hard!”

“It wasn’t that hard.” Jenny laughed.

“That’s easy for you to say! You’re a math God! Thank you again for helping me study for the final. I would have failed if it wasn’t for you.” I leaned my head on her shoulder and smiled up at her. I was the shortest in our group at 5’3”, Jenny came in second at 5’6”. Kyle was about 5’8” and Benjy stood the tallest at 5’10”.

“You’re being dramatic,” Jenny smirked, “About the failing part. I am a math God though.”

I laughed and shoved her playfully. We sat at the trunk of our tree and watched as our classmates evacuate the building for summer. Sandy Beach High School only has about 112 students so it isn’t that big. It’s also located right next to Sandy Beach Elementary which is grades 1-8, having a total of 224 students.

Kyle and Benjy emerged from the small crowd and made a beeline to our tree. “Hey girlies, what do you want to do for the rest of the day?”

“Let’s see.” I paused to think, “The bonfire isn’t until 8:30 so we could go have lunch at my place and hang out there. Sound good?”

“On one condition, you have to make us all your famous PB&J’s.” Kyle demanded.

“Deal!”

Once we got to my house we dropped our bags by the front door and went straight to the kitchen. I grabbed the bread and peanut butter while Benjy went to the fridge to grab the jelly and Jenny grabbed the sprinkles. As I got to work on our sandwiches we began to talk about the bonfire, a tradition for the high school kids. The first night of summer we threw a huge party at the beach.

“Were you guys able to get anything for the party?” Jenny asked. “I could only convince my dad to buy a twelve pack.”

“I got a couple bottles of tequila stashed in my room.” Kyle stated.

“I have an ice chest full of beer in my garage.” Benjy smiled, “I’m sure the whole baseball team will bring enough alcohol for everyone and then some.” We all laughed knowing it was true.

Since our school is relatively small we don’t have a football team, so our town was all about baseball. Kyle and Benjy just so happened to be on said team. Kyle was also on the wrestling team while Benjy was with me on the swim team. Jenny was on the basketball team our freshman year but took a year off after injuring her shoulder, she planned to join again once we started our junior year.

After we ate our sandwiches I grabbed everyone’s plates and took them to the sink to wash. Richard was a bit of a neat freak so I always did my own dishes to make sure he wouldn’t have to do them when he came home. As I washed the dishes I listened to the group talk about the bonfire, their voices faded as I watched the water fall from the faucet. Then I was falling, sinking deeper and deeper into the water. My hands touching the sand just like in my dream, the cold water surrounding my whole body. Then something warm and wet on my leg. I blinked and I was no longer under water, I was standing at my kitchen sink watching the water run. I looked down at my leg to see Koda, my brown husky, licking my leg. I turned off the water then crouched to pet her.

“Ava, you good?”

“Huh?” I looked up at Jenny. “Oh, yeah. Sorry. I spaced out for a sec.” I laughed at myself. The three of them stared at me, concern on their faces. “You guys want to watch a movie? I think my dad got Avengers on Blu-Ray!”

I didn’t wait for them to answer. I went straight to the living room and turned on the TV before they even replied. After the movie ended Benjy decided to go home so he could take a nap before the bonfire, Jenny decided to do the same and the two headed out. Koda jumped onto the couch taking Jenny’s spot and laid her head on my lap. I looked over to Kyle and smiled, “You excited to see Brook tonight?” I teased.

He groaned dropped his head forward, “Please don’t remind me. She’s bad enough sober.” I laughed. Brook is a girl in my grade who has been fawning over Kyle since the two of them hooked up the summer before. “Why didn’t you tell me she was crazy?”

“She’s not crazy. She’s in love.” I joked winking at him. Brook is the definition of beautiful, she has flawless skin, natural orange hair and killer blue eyes. I knew I wasn’t ugly but compared to her, I was nothing. Her only downfall was that she was obsessive when it came to guys. “She isn’t that bad Ky.”

“It’s almost been a year since we hooked up and she still tries to get with me. It’s annoying.” He groaned again.

Koda licked my hand and I began to pet her head. “Thank you.” The female voice caused me to jump. I looked down at Koda my eyes widening. Had I just heard that right?

“What’s wrong?” Kyle asked, seeing my facial expression as I stared at Koda. Had that voice just come from my dog? “Ava?”

“Did you-? I could have sworn…” I shook my head. “It’s nothing. I think I might need a nap too.”

Kyle gave me a weary look before nodding. “I have to go home and do some chores, so I’ll let you take that nap.” He walked to the door and hesitated before looking at me. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Really. If I need you you’re only a door away.” I smiled to assure him I was okay and he nodded. I waved as he left and once I heard the door close I slid off the couch onto my knees so I was eye level with Koda. I stared at her, “Did you speak?” We stared at each other for a minute before she licked my face. I nodded to her, “Alright, good. I’m just hearing things.” I pat her head as I stood and walked up to my room.

I laid down and stared up at the ceiling, Koda jumped up and curled up at my side. As I stared at my ceiling it began to change.

Next thing I knew I was underwater, only this time I wasn’t sinking, I was swimming towards the surface. My legs moved as one but I didn’t look down to see if they were tied. Once I reached the surface I looked around, in the distance I could see Sandy Beach. I couldn’t tell who was standing at the beach but they looked so small from this far.

I turned to face the opposite direction and saw a small island in the distance. One that you wouldn’t be able to see if you were standing on the shore. I dove back underwater and swam towards the island, curiosity taking control.

As I swam I took in the scenery as I swam deeper and farther from the beach. It was so colorful. The coral, the fish. Everything was so peaceful.


The sound of my phone ringing woke me from my day dream, I grabbed my cell from the night stand and looked at the caller ID before answering, “Jenny!”

“Ava!” Jenny’s voice called back, “Are you ready? We are over at Kyle’s house waiting.”

I looked at the clock, 7:30. “Shit, I must have fallen asleep! Let me wash my face and get changed real quick and I’ll head over.”

“So, see you in three hours?”

“Ha-ha, very funny. I’ll be down in 30 minutes.” I hung up before she could reply. I grabbed the clothes I picked out for the bonfire and my swim suit before heading to the bathroom. I washed my face and re-applied my make up before getting dressed. I had picked out a bright orange crop tank top with a lace fabric draping down in a triangle shape covering my midriff and some lightly ripped shorts. Underneath I wore my teal bikini.

Oregon is known for its cold and rainy weather but during the summer it does actually get hot. That and it barely rained on Sandy Beach, the rain usually passed right over us. I slipped on my flip flops and grabbed my phone before running down the stairs. I went to the fridge and grabbed the bottle of Jäger I was hiding on the bottom shelf. I left out the side door after yelling a good-bye to my dads who were watching TV in the living room.

Kyle’s garage door was open, it usually was when the group hung out. It was one of our usual hang out spots. “Well look who finally graced us with her presence.” Jenny teased.

“Hey, in Ava’s defense, she took exactly 30 minutes like she said.” Benjy laughed.

“You actually timed me?” I gaped at him.

“We usually do.” Kyle smiled at me.

I fake pouted before Jenny hugged me, “Awe, you’re so cute!” I laughed and pushed her away before asking for the ice chest. I put my bottle in with the beer and tequila before we headed for the beach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again!

First off I'd like to thank RiotGurl for being my first comment, and don't worry there is definitely a conflict coming up in the next few chapters.

Here is Avalon's bonfire outfit as promised.

Don't be a silent reader!

XOXO
Luna Rene