Something's Gotta Give

An Island of Feather Down and I'm Stuck Here Alone

Mellie arrived at the hotel and checked in on behalf of Buzznet. She grabbed her small backpack which held her purse and escorted her bag upstairs. It was a modest room, super basic with a king bed and a window. Much to Mellie's surprise it overlooked the city and it opened. Her fingers nimbly gripped at the lock and with a firm push it swung open, the sound of the city began to filter in.

Somehow in all this, she felt re-energized. It was nearly 1am and Mellie headed down to the bar and asked for a small cup of coffee to go. A young man was sitting all the way down at the end of the bar. He had a beard and a slicked back ponytail, but oddly enough, he was wearing a blazer and jeans. Odd. Of course, that was L.A. for you. The stranger looked her way for a moment. Mellie raised her cup at him and then headed out the door.

Mellie headed out into the warm L.A. air to scope an area to shoot later. It was interesting being on the empty streets in the city that was always so busy. Mellie scrolled down and pressed play as music began to fill her ears. Mellie sipped on her coffee and the infamous guitar line creeped through her ears.

Just as the words began, a small tap appeared on her shoulder. "Excuse me."

Mellie jumped a little as she wasn't exactly expecting anyone to be near her let alone touching her at this hour. Startled, she looked to see the young man from the end of the bar. "Uh, you weren't stalking me were you?" Mellie asked, her eyes looking up at the man from the bar. Mellie couldn't deny, as odd as his outfit appeared to be, it worked for him with all the facial hair.

The man looked perplexed, "No. Do you have a light?" He asked, feeling and digging in his jacket as he seemed to look for his lighter. He found her intriguing

Mellie dug around in her pockets, "As a matter of fact." She said, sparking it for the man who leaned in with his cigarette to light it. "Little odd for you to be chasing down a stranger for a light at nearly 1:30 in the morning."

The man pulled back with his cigarette and exhaled, blowing away from Mellie, "It's a little odd for you to be roaming them with a coffee at 1:30 am." He replied with a coy smile.

Maybe it was the short wording before but the man definitely wasn't from around here. Now having said more than two words she could tell he head a heavy accent. "Hi. I'm Mellie." She said, offering him the lighter. "I don't need the lighter, it was a friends."

The man smiled, "I'm Tom." he said, "Thanks for the light." he reached to take the lighter from Mellie, his long thin fingertips accidentally brushing against hers.

"Suppose I should be headed back Tom." Mellie said as she looked at her phone to silence the music that was playing. The digital face read 2:00am. Mellie rubbed her face gently. She had to be up in five hours. She'd look terrible but hopefully the shoot would go well. "Maybe I'll see you around stranger."

"Gute Nacht." Tom said to himself as Mellie began to slowly walk back toward the hotel.