Through the Eyes of the Broken

01

I rubbed my eyes before checking the time on my phone again. It would be around two more hours before I returned to the town I was taken away from nearly six years ago. I couldn't believe how slowly those six years passed, and honestly I didn't want to return, but it was like the town was calling my name. Was I ready to face my past? Was I ready to see what was left of the house I lived in for nearly ten years?

Tears pricked my eyes as the memories came flooding back to that horrific night. The night I managed to escape unharmed. The night that I lost people that were the close to me and were basically my family. My eyes closed as my fingers touched the engraving on the pendent around my neck. Under my touch I could make out the four letters H-a-l-e. It was given as a gift when I turned thirteen since I was considered family. If only I knew what would happen a few days later...

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Travis asked, making me remember that I wasn't currently alone. I gave him a soft smile before shaking my head yes.

Travis was my next door neighbor from the last foster home I lived in. We weren't close or even friends for the matter, but when I heard he was going to Beacon Hills to visit family members, I talked him into taking me. All he knew was that was my hometown and I wanted to go back. Thankfully, he didn't ask me any questions. In fact, he rarely even talked which seem to work for the both of us.

It felt like forever before we passed the 'Welcome to Beacon Hills' sign. I sat up straight in the passenger seat as I took in the familiar surroundings. Almost everything was the same as I remembered it. A few new buildings were built for new businesses, but for the most part it was the same.

"Was there anywhere in particular you wanted me to drop you off?" Travis gave me a quick glance as we stopped at the stop light. At that moment I realized that I hadn't really thought this through.

"Uh, just let me out at the gas station or something. I know my way around." I wanted to go to the Hale house instantly, but knew it wasn't the best idea. It may also bring up questions that I wasn't in the mood to answer. Going there on my own was the much safer choice. It also allowed me time to prepare myself for what I was going to see.

"Are you sure?" Travis checked with me again as he pulled into a gas station.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I told him. I honestly didn't know if I would be fine or not. After all, I did know about the supernatural beings that were living in Beacon Hills unlike most of the community. Who knows what could be lurking around waiting for its next victim. For all I knew, someone could recognize me and want me dead for knowing too much.

Once he stopped to fill his truck up with gas, I thanked him for bringing me and hopped out with my bags. I began walking even though I didn't have the slightest idea where I would be staying. I knew very few people in those years living in Beacon Hills. Most of them were from school, and they weren't exactly my friends either. I was an outcast then, and I am an outcast now. My only choice seemed to be what was left of my former home.

It felt like forever as I walked towards the woods I was all too familiar with. Childhood memories began hitting me as I let a smile appear on my face. I was so innocent without a care in the world as I ran through the woods trying to keep up with the younger generation of Hale members. Of course it wasn't until I was eleven when I learned about their little secret and why they seemed much faster than me.

As I got closer to the house, my smile faded. It was as if I could feel the entire atmosphere begin to change. Memories of that night reappeared as if I were reliving the night. I stopped dead in my tracks when I realized why. I had taken the exact path when I escaped the burning house. I had ran to get help, but I was too late.

Tears fell down my cheeks, but I knew I couldn't stop. Even though my last memory of the house was when it was ablaze, I had to see it now. Maybe I would finally be able to move on with my life afterwards.

My steps slowed as I got closer. The house was in my line of vision and it wasn't what I expected. I dropped my bags before rubbing my eyes to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Right in front of me was the house I lived in. You could tell there had been a fire, but for the most part, it was still standing. I expected it to be burnt to the ground or at least demolished after what happened, but no, it reminded me of a haunted house with it being boarded up and all. I had to go in even though it probably wasn't safe.

I carefully went up the front steps and made my way to the front door. My hands were shaking as I turned the knob, pushing it open. My eyes scanned the foyer as I stepped inside. I slowly spun around taking in how the house now looked. It was dark and gloomy and over all it was depressing. I began to carefully make my way up the staircase. My hand glided up the railing wiping the dust, dirt and ash that had collected from the past few years. At the top of the staircase, I wiped my hand on my pants before heading towards my old room. A noise from the opposite direction caught my attention. So far I had only heard my boots thumping against the floor and an occasional creak. Otherwise it had been completely silent. I figured it was an animal after I stopped moving and heard nothing. I continued my way down the hall since my room was near the end. I took quick glances into each room and noticed that most of the stuff that was in the house was gone. I had no idea what happened to everything that didn't burn after the fire. For all I knew, looters could've taken stuff.

I finally stopped in front of my bedroom door. I pushed it open to see my room was like the rest of the house. A few articles of now ruined clothing were on the floor with scattered paper, broken glass, and some old toys. My bed was missing the mattress, but the frame was still there. The once violet curtains were stained black and torn. A picture frame was laying face down on the dresser. I picked it up and wiped it off to see a picture of my parents with the Hales. My mother was holding me since I was only a baby at the time. The picture was the only thing left that wasn't completely ruined in my room. I kept the photo in the frame until I could get a new one.

I went back downstairs and sat on the bottom step as I took everything in for a final time. While debating on what to do next, I heard a noise outside. I stayed still as I tried to listen while hoping who or what ever it was went away. I couldn't shake the feeling though of someone being outside watching the place. I placed the picture frame down as I got up quietly and went towards the door. It opened just as I got to it and a man pushed me against the wall before putting a hand over my mouth as I tried to scream. My heart was pounding as I tried to figure out what was happening. The man removed his hand and seemed confused. "Chloe?" The familiar voice rang through my ears. It couldn't be though. He was dead.

I calmed down some as I really looked the guy over. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Standing in front of me was Derek Hale. I was taken back by how much older he looked now, then again the last time I saw him was six years ago. Derek was only a few years older than me, putting him in his early twenties.

I didn't say anything as I wrapped my arms around him. I didn't know how he was alive right now. I had been told that all the Hale members died that night, yet here I was with my arms around Derek. "You're alive," I finally mumbled into his chest.

"Why are you here?" Derek asked, causing me to pull away from him. It was then I realized that he didn't seem too happy at all.

"Why are you?" I questioned. I found it pretty odd that he would happen to be here the same time I was.

"It's not safe. You need to leave Beacon Hills." I frowned. I had just arrived and he wanted me to leave? A few minutes ago I didn't even know he was alive!

"I'm not leaving. At least not until I have answers," I told him as I went to sit back down on the bottom stair. He leaned against the wall as he watched me. I guess he was waiting for me to ask my questions.

"How... how are you even alive? I was told that you were dead..." Derek shrugged and I took that as my answer since he wasn't saying anything. "Who else is alive?" I was praying that most of the family lived and for some reason I had been lied to.

"Laura was," he finally answered. I wanted to ask what happened to her, but it didn't seem like the best idea. It's not like Derek was being much of a talker anyway.

"I'm so sorry, Derek," I said quietly. Even though the Hale family raised me, I knew it was a greater loss to Derek since it was his actual family.

"You should leave," Derek said before walking towards what used to be the living room.

"I have nowhere to go," I mumbled, even though I knew he was able to hear me. He never said anything, so I grabbed the picture frame and headed outside to where my bags were still laying. I carefully put the frame in one of the bags. I took one last look at the house before leaving the way I came from.

"Chloe." I turned to face Derek who was walking towards a black car I hadn't noticed before. "Get in," he said as I just stared at him. I quickly made my way to the car and got in the passenger seat. Derek didn't say anything else as we made our way to the highway.

"Did you know I was alive?" I asked in hopes of getting a conversation going. From his reaction earlier, I was guessing that he didn't.

"No," he answered before looking over at me. "Sorry about earlier."

Neither of us said anything else. I didn't really know what to say. Derek was never an easy person to talk to, and I wasn't that close to him before the fire. I wanted to ask if he still considered me family, but was doubting it at this point. If he did, he certainly didn't want me around. He had mentioned it wasn't safe, so maybe a part of him did care. That lead me to wonder why Beacon Hills wasn't safe. The only thing I could come up with is hunters in the area. If they saw me with Derek, they might mistake me as a werewolf as well.

Derek pulled into a gas station to one of the pumps. He didn't say anything as he got out. I didn't know where he was planning on taking me. I thought about getting out of the car and leaving to find somewhere to stay to make it easier for him. I began to wonder if he would even care. I got out of the car which caught his attention.

"Where are you going?" he asked after noticing that I had my bags. Before I could answer, a couple of cars pulled into the gas station and blocked us in. "Go inside," Derek told me as he pointed to the convenient store.

I dropped my bags and went inside like Derek said. At the door I watched as the people, whom I assume were hunters, began talking to Derek. When one of the men busted the window of Derek's car, I thought about telling the clerk behind the counter. However, I decided against it when one of the other men glanced over at me. I rushed away from the door and went to find a soda since I was already inside. I highly doubted they would come in and cause a scene.

As I paid for the soda, I glanced outside to see the cars were gone and it looked like Derek was trying to clean up some of the broken glass. I went back outside, grabbing my bags off the ground and getting back in the passenger side. I said nothing to Derek as he finished cleaning up the glass.

"They were hunters, weren't they?" I asked once we left the gas station. "That's why it's not safe for me." He didn't say anything, so I once again took that as a yes. "They shouldn't have done that. You should file a report with the police."

"The police won't do anything. Even if I told them, it would somehow end up being my fault." Derek's hands tightened around the steering wheel. I knew he was trying his best to not let his wolf side take over.

We soon pulled into the parking lot at the hospital. I was beyond confused as to why we were here. I wasn't hurt, and Derek wouldn't be coming to a hospital if he was. "Why are we at a hospital?"

"There is someone I need to see. Stay in the car and lock the doors," Derek told me as he got out.

"Um, Derek? The window is kind of broken. Wouldn't that beat the purpose of locking the doors when someone can reach in and unlock it themselves?" Derek realized that I was right, so he made me get out and go inside with him.

"Do I know this person?" I asked as we entered the elevator.

"No."

"Do you think I am in danger by being in Beacon Hills?"

"Everyone is always in danger," he answered just as the elevator doors opened.

"I'm just going to assume that you don't plan on telling me what has been happening lately." It wasn't really my business anyway. I wasn't a werewolf or anything else for that matter. I was just a fragile human who would probably end up getting themselves killed.

"Keep watch," Derek said before going into a room. I stood outside the door and could hear Derek asking someone questions. All I could really make out of it was that the person knew Derek. Derek came out of the room as the heart monitor went off. I began to wonder if he just killed someone. "No," he answered as if he could read my thoughts.

Instead of taking the elevator this time, we took the stairs. Derek was quickly going down them and I struggled to keep up. Once outside, he began walking normally again.

"Anymore fun for the night because I thought you were taking me to a hotel or something?" I was being a bit sarcastic, but he didn't seem bothered by it like I thought he would.

"I am. I'll pay for the room."

"Can you at least tell me what is going on before I leave Beacon Hills for good?" I asked in hopes of getting an answer.

"I believe someone killed Laura and is trying to kill me. It doesn't help that there are hunters and an Alpha who is trying to make a pack." I was amazed that Derek even told me that much.

"Can I ask you for your opinion on something?" I asked quietly as we pulled into the hotel parking lot. When he turned his attention to me, I went ahead and asked. "Do you think the fire was accidental like the reports claimed?" He gave a solid no on that question. "Was it hunters?" This time he didn't answer. "Derek, they were basically my family too. I think I deserve to know the truth. I also want to stay in Beacon Hills. Please, just let me help with whatever I can."

"You'll only get in the way," Derek told me as he got out of the car, ending the discussion.

"You can't make me leave," I said stubbornly as I got out of the car grabbing my bags and soda I bought earlier.

"I know. That's why I am hoping that you make the right choice."

"And what choice is that? The option to leave Beacon Hills for good? It's like this town was drawing me back, Derek. Before a few hours ago, I had no idea that you were even alive. The past six years of my life have been horrible as I went from home to home. Beacon Hills will always be my home no matter how unsafe it is. I'll stay out of trouble. Just let me stay with you, even if it is just for a little while."

Derek let out a sigh. "You can't stay with me."

"Why not?!" He looked away from me which pretty much gave me the answer. "You've been living in the house."

"You are staying in the hotel and I'll pay for your room. Staying in Beacon Hills is a stupid choice. You can get out of here before you get involved in something you can't get out of. You have a choice. I don't." I understood where he was coming from, but I still felt like I should be there for him at least.

"I'll stay in the hotel and try to stay out of your business. I promise." That ended our discussion and we finally went inside. Derek kept his word and paid for my room for an entire week. He made sure I got to my room safely before we exchanged numbers. He then left without saying a word.

As I went to close the curtains, I felt like someone was watching me. I shrugged it off, thinking that it probably Derek. I knew he would probably keep an eye on me and make sure nobody bothered me. Knowing that made it a bit easier to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit

I haven't made a banner yet, but one will be up soon. The story will loosely follow the TW story line starting on S1 EP3.