Through the Eyes of the Broken

11

It was early in the morning as I sat curled up on the couch flipping through a magazine I found and eating a bowl of cereal. Derek had yet to return after last night, or maybe he did and he left before I woke up. Either way he wasn't here. It was a good thing since I currently didn't want to be around him. I was still pissed off about last night even though I really had no say in it.

I did have a say in what I wanted to do and that was to get the hell out of this warehouse for awhile. I felt like I was all cooped up while Derek was gone most of the time. He didn't control me and couldn't exactly use his Alpha powers on me to make me listen to him. I wasn't stupid. I'll admit that I make stupid mistakes, but everyone does.

I was on the last page of the magazine when I heard the door to the warehouse close... quite loudly I should add. I rolled my eyes at the dramatic werewolf letting his presence known. I put the magazine down on the floor before tilting the bowl up and drinking the leftover milk. I wiped my mouth with the back on my hand as I got up, throwing the plastic bowl and spoon away in a nearby trashcan.

I didn't say a word to Derek or even acknowledge his presence as I slipped my boots on. He didn't even say anything until he noticed I was walking towards the door to leave. "Where are you going?" he asked, but got ignored. "So you're going to ignore me?" I opened the door before closing it behind me as I stepped out into the brisk morning air.

The sun was still pretty low in the sky, but for the most part was over the horizon. The brick buildings surrounding me was blocking its warm rays, making it colder than it seemed. I could see my breath disappearing in front of me like smoke. A cool breeze passed giving me chills, making me cross my arms over my chest to help keep warm. I began walking towards the sidewalk just to go for a short walk. It was too damn cold to do anything else.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when Derek appeared in front of me. I glanced up at him waiting for him to scold me like a child. "Where are you going?" he asked once again.

"For a walk, Derek." I walked around him and continued on my way. I heard his footsteps behind me as he followed.

"His name is Isaac," Derek told me, referring to the kid from last night. "I was trying to help him."

"By turning him into a monster?!" I instantly regretted what I said knowing that not all werewolves were murderous psychopaths. The entire Hale family were good people for the most part.

"He's abused at home." I stopped walking to face Derek. How did he even know this? "I told him I could help him before explaining everything about werewolves including the hunters. I gave him a choice. I wouldn't just go around biting people who I thought didn't deserve it."

"He's the only one... right?" I questioned. Derek said he was. "And how many more people do you plan on turning?" Derek didn't answer which lead me to believe that there would be more. "So how exactly are you even finding people to form a pack? By stalking the school?" We were now walking side by side.

"I have my ways."

"Would you ever turn me?" I asked out of curiosity. There were perks to being a werewolf, but I didn't want it. I liked being a helpless human that didn't turn on full moons.

"No," Derek put it bluntly.

"I wasn't asking you to turn me. I don't want to be like you," I explained so he didn't think I was wanting to be a werewolf.

"I'm not the bad guy," he replied.

"I know."

"You make it sound like it."

I stopped walking again before facing him and letting out a sigh. "I know and I'm sorry. I know you need a pack because you are stronger in numbers. I know you wouldn't kill unless you had to. I also know that keeping me in the warehouse all day is to protect me. I can't live my life cooped up all the time. At least let me go with you when you go somewhere. I'll stay out of the way. You've just got to trust me. I trust you enough to actually stay with you."

"Fine," Derek muttered, giving in to me.

"Awesome," I grinned before walking back towards the warehouse. "Now about Isaac, does he plan on staying with us?"

"If he needs a place to stay he is welcome to," Derek shrugged before glancing over at me. "If it is okay with you?" I raised a brow at him. I didn't really think Derek cared if I wanted Isaac to be there or not. Maybe he was beginning to let me in more and help him.

"If it is better than his home life, then he can go ahead and move right on in," I shrugged, remembering how bad some kids were treated in the foster homes I had lived in.

-

Derek kept his promise and let me go with him to get me out of the warehouse. We were keeping watch on Isaac's house, or at least Derek was since he had the abilities to listen to what was happening. I was sitting in the passenger seat with my feet on the dashboard as I ate my french fries, something which Derek wasn't too pleased with.

We had already been here ten minutes and nothing was out of the ordinary. Derek told me he was making sure Isaac was fine after the bite since it could also be deadly. However, there were times I caught Derek glancing at a house across the street from Isaac's home. I had a feeling whoever lived there was the real reason we were here and Derek probably bit them as well. I kept to myself though allowing Derek to tell me when he was ready.

"Derek, this is boring. Nothing bad has happened and it is now raining. Can we go?"

Derek's glance went from the brick house Isaac lived in to me. "You're the one who wanted to get out."

"Yeah, but I didn't want to sit in a car for nearly an hour," I told him after taking a quick glance at the time on my phone. "If you are that worried about him, just go check on him. Knock on the door or sneak in. Stop being the creep sitting outside someone's house."

Derek didn't say anything as we sat in silence. I inwardly groaned as I stared at the window, watching raindrops race down to cure my boredom. We were there for five or so more minutes before Derek started the car and pulled away from the house.

"Derek, I'm sure he'll be fine," I told him in hopes of getting rid of some of his anxiety. "If you're his Alpha, won't he come to you if anything was wrong?"

"Doesn't mean he will." I rolled my eyes at his pessimism. For being an Alpha, he sure as hell thought the worst for everything.

"That attitude won't get you anywhere. You're supposed to be a badass Alpha. Instead, you are acting like..." I stopped as I tried to think of something that was perfect to describe him as. "like a lone wolf who is afraid of everything and thinks only bad things can happen." I smiled to myself knowing that described him perfectly. "If you want to be a leader to a pack, you might want to be a little more optimistic."

"Are you seriously trying to give me advice on being an Alpha?" he questioned, seeming a bit annoyed.

"I'm trying to help you. You are the one who is an Alpha and needs a pack. Why would anyone want to be part of a pack if their Alpha only sees the bad that could happen and never told them anything good? I'd want an Alpha who was confident and didn't constantly worry. Someone you know you could go to that would know what to do next. Someone who would make the right choices. I'm just trying to help you so when you have your pack they won't leave, taking you back to square one."

By the time I finished talking, we were back at the warehouse sitting in the car as rain pounded against the roof. Derek was staring at the steering wheel and I had doubts that he even heard a word I said. He seemed a bit zoned out so I snapped my fingers in front of his face instantly getting a reaction.

"What are you so worried about?" I asked, knowing that there was something more than him worrying over what could happen to Isaac.

"Nothing," he answered before taking the keys out of the ignition and getting out of the car.

"Well, we are definitely going places," I muttered to myself before getting out of the car and stepping into the pouring rain. I quickly went inside the warehouse not liking how cold the rain was hitting my skin in the cool evening air. The last thing I also wanted was to catch a cold even though it was rare when I did get sick.

-
I was laying on the couch staring into the darkness that surrounded me. I was tired but couldn't sleep. It was quiet in the subway where Derek usually stayed, so I assumed he was either asleep or overthinking like he's been doing. The silence in the warehouse was soon interrupted when one of the doors to the warehouse opened with loud steps following. I heard movement in the subway car, so I got up as well making sure to actually use the light on my phone to watch where I stepped. I joined Derek's side as Isaac came into view from the lights that were on.

"What's wrong?" Derek asked him since he seemed frantic.

"My dad. I think he's dead," Isaac told us.

"What did you do?"

"That's the thing. It wasn't me." I raised a brow at Isaac as I tried to figure out who or what could have possibly killed his father if it wasn't him. If what Derek said was true about Isaac, then he had a motive.

I sat on one of the seats in the subway car as Isaac told us everything that happened while Derek tried to figure out what was going on.

"So, you don't know what happened to him other than the fact that he is dead?" I questioned once he told his story. He shook his head no.

"Derek, I swear that I did nothing." Isaac sat down across from me before putting his head into his hands.

"Derek, is he telling the truth?" I knew Derek could probably tell if he was lying or not. I could see out of the corner of my eye that Isaac glanced over at me before looking at Derek as well. Derek took a quick glance at Isaac before nodding his head. "Then what attacked his father?"

"I don't know!" He seemed a bit frustrated.

"I-I've got to go. I have school tomorrow. What am I supposed to do?" Isaac was looking at Derek for help. Of course the police would be involved when they found his father and Isaac would probably end up being the suspect.

"Just go and act normal. I'll figure out something," he told Isaac before dismissing him. Isaac said a quick goodbye to me before leaving the warehouse.

Derek sat down where Isaac had been sitting. He paid no attention to me as he stared down at the floor, trying to figure out how to help Isaac.

"Could it have been Lydia?" I questioned, earning a shrug from Derek. "Scott?" Derek took a quick glance that basically said 'are you kidding me?', giving me my answer. "Possibly some regular person out for blood?"

"I have a feeling it wasn't human," Derek told me. "We both know that Isaac will mostly likely be arrested, and tomorrow night is the full moon. I-" Derek quickly corrected himself. "We need to find a way to prove he is innocent because if he is locked up tomorrow night, there will be more than his father's death."
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit