Through the Eyes of the Broken

02

I spent the next day getting reacquainted with the town. I did as I said I would do and stayed out of Derek's way. He did text me a few times to make sure that I was staying in Beacon Hills and wasn't having any problems.

I did almost have a small problem though. While eating lunch at a nearby restaurant, one of the hunter's from the night before came in. It had been the guy who busted the driver side window. I knew if he saw me he would instantly recognize me, so I kept my head down as I slowly ate. Since he was sitting a few tables from where I was, I ordered dessert just so I didn't have to leave yet. Thankfully, he did leave soon enough. I decided to keep that from Derek since he already didn't want me staying here and it was more of a reason to get me to leave.

After that, I spent the rest of the afternoon back in my hotel room. It just felt a lot safer and I knew what could be lurking when night fell.

I woke up in the middle of the night to banging on my door. I was terrified as I sat in bed with my eyes wide open. My phone vibrated on the nightstand, scaring the shit out of me. I saw it was a text from Derek. I let out a sigh of relief when I read that it was him at the door. I got up and went to the door. "Derek?" I asked, just to be on the safe side. His response was a demanding 'let me in, now!'. I opened the door to reveal a pale Derek who stumbled forward. I helped him in as he used the wall for support.

"What the hell happened to you?" I asked as I helped him over to the bed.

"I got shot." He pulled up his sleeve to show me the wound. I took a quick glance before looking away in disgust.

"By who?!" I felt stupid for asking since only the hunters would be shooting at him.

"Doesn't matter. I need your help."

"Okay. What do you need me to do?" I took another glance at the wound. "Shouldn't that be healing?" I made a motion towards his arm.

"That's the problem. It's a certain kind of bullet. It's not allowing me to heal."

"And I'm supposed to do what exactly? Figure out the kind of bullet? Get help? Please don't say cut off your arm." I shivered at the thought of cutting off his arm.

"I need a place to hideout for awhile until I find Scott McCall." That was easy enough, but who the hell is Scott?

"And Scott is...?"

"A werewolf." I raised a brow expecting more of a response, but he didn't give me any. So he was basically going to bleed all over my room until he could find a werewolf that I assumed was in Beacon Hills. Sounds like Derek doesn't really have a plan.

I went to the bathroom and grabbed a few towels to give to Derek. When I came back to the main room, he was holding his arm tightly and trying to not show that he was pain. I wanted to help him, but wasn't much for me to do. I gave him a towel which he wrapped around his arm. The other towel he used to try to clean blood off his arm and hands. I awkwardly stayed standing since I didn't know what to say or do. I did notice his blood veins were turning black. I began to worry to what would happen to him. I just found out he was alive. The last thing I wanted was him to die now. Derek seemed to sense what I was feeling as he glanced up at me.

"Are you going to die?" I asked quietly since he seemed to be waiting for me to spill what I was thinking.

"No." He seemed quite confident of his answer which in return made me worry a little less.

More awkward minutes went by. At this point I had turned the television on with the volume way down low. I was mostly staring off into the screen, so when Derek said, "You still wear it," I was beyond confused. He pointed to the necklace and my hand went to it to pendent. I never took the necklace off, but was amazed he even noticed since he didn't the night before.

"Yeah," I said quietly.

"It was my mom's idea," he told me. "She loved you like one of her own. She even joked about turning you." He cracked a smile when he saw the horrified look on my face. I never did care to become a werewolf, however, I did think it was really cool when I found out.

Once again it was silent between us. I was sitting in the chair with my arm propped up on the armrest holding my head up. I was tired about to fall asleep. It felt rude though and also worried me. What if something did happen to Derek?

"You can sleep," Derek announced as if he could sense what I was feeling again. Or maybe it was because I would almost fall asleep and I'd jerk myself awake. I nodded my head to let him know I heard him and soon drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up, I was now laying in the bed and Derek was gone. I began to wonder if it was a dream all along, but when I saw the note on the nightstand I knew it wasn't. Derek's quickly scribbled note said he went to find Scott. I took a quick glance at the digital clock on to see it was around noon. I didn't know how long he was gone or where I might find this Scott person.

I went on about my day though. I took a quick shower before leaving to go eat lunch again. Afterwards, I sent Derek at text asking where he was. Of course he didn't respond. I tried to think where a werewolf who was shot would go or meet another werewolf. Of course that would be anywhere as long as they didn't attract attention. After all, they seemed like your average person unless something triggered their wolf side or it was a full moon.

I returned to my hotel room so if Derek did need me it would be easy to find me. I had also promised I'd stay in the hotel, but of course I left quite a few times now.

I sent a few more texts throughout the afternoon and even called him, but still nothing. At this point I was pacing around in the room wondering what was happening. I was waiting for a simple call or text to let me know he was alive and well. The sun had just set when I finally received a text, except it wasn't from his number. All it said was to meet him at the animal clinic, or at least someone wanted me to meet them there. I didn't know if I was being set up into a trap by someone or if it was Derek using someone else's phone. I sent a text asking who it was, but decided to take my chances after no response.

As I began walking out the door, something caught my eye. I don't know how I missed it earlier, but it was Derek's car keys. I guess he left them here for me this morning and he had been walking all day. I grabbed them since it would be much safer to drive than to walk. I knew where the animal clinic was which happened to be across town.

Once outside I used the button to find the car. I quickly made my way to it and got it. I was careful driving it since I didn't want Derek yelling at me if I accidentally got a scratch or even worse on his beautiful black Camaro. I went a little quicker than I should have and ran a stop light to get to the animal clinic faster. As I pulled into the parking lot, I spotted a powder blue Jeep that I hadn't seen before.

I shut off the car, making sure to take the keys with me as I got out and rushed inside. I opened the door to hear voices coming from the back. I knew for sure one was Derek's, the other I didn't recognize. Maybe it was Scott since that was who he went looking for.

"Derek?" I called out as I went towards the room. I entered the room they were in and Derek took a quick glance at me, but kept his conversation going with the younger boy. The boy looked to be a couple years younger than me. He had brown hair and was about the same height as me, just an inch or two taller.

"Look, honestly I don't think I can," the boy said before glancing over at me. "And who the hell is she?"

"Just do it!" Derek told him. I stood near the wall as I tried to figure out what was going on.

Derek was laying shirtless with his arm resting on the table. I could see the black was spreading and the wound was still bleeding. Right about the wound was a blue band, and when the kid put some sort of saw to Derek's arm, I quickly figured it out. The boy was talking out loud as if he tried to prepare himself for what he was about to do when another voice came from the doorway.

"Stiles!" The newest boy to join said. He was as young as the kid named Stiles was. His hair was a messy dark brown and skin was tanner. He had a slightly bigger build to him than Stiles did.

"Scott?" Stiles seemed relieved. I assumed they were friends and that this was the Scott that Derek went looking for.

I stayed near the wall as the three of them began talking. When Derek fainted, I rushed to his side. Stiles and I both tried to wake him up.

"I think he's dying. I think he's dead!" Stiles said, earning a glare from me.

"Shut up! He's not dead!" I snapped. He seemed a bit taken back by my outburst.

"Who the hell are you? His sister or something?" This earned him another glare. "If so, I can see anger runs in the genes." I ignored his comment and continued in my efforts to wake Derek.

Stiles finally slapped Derek awake. We helped him off the ground and took the bullet from Scott who had retrieved it after Derek fainted. I stood on the other side of Scott as Derek burned what was inside of the bullet and rubbed it into the wound. We watched in amazement as the wound healed right before our eyes. That was something I hadn't seen before.

"That...was...awesome! Yes!" I raised a brow at Stiles' enthusiasm.

"Are you okay?" Scott asked Derek.

"Well, except the agonizing pain."

"I'm guessing the ability to use sarcasm is a good sign of health." Stiles noted.

Scott and Derek soon got into an argument. While they were into it, Stiles kept glancing over at me. "What?" I finally asked, clearly annoyed with him.

"Who are you?" he asked. "Derek's sidekick or something?" I didn't know how he went from me being Derek's sister to his sidekick, but whatever.

"Her name is Chloe and that's all you need to know," Derek answered for me as he put his shirt and jacket back on. He asked me for the keys, so I tossed them to him before following him and Scott out of the clinic.

I got in Derek's car, sitting in the back so Scott had the passenger seat. Stiles' left in the jeep which I assumed was his. It was a quiet ride until we arrived at a place called Beacons Crossing Home. I was as confused as Scott as to why we were even here. The two of us followed Derek inside and to one of the rooms. When I saw who was in the room, I had to cover my mouth in shock since I didn't want Scott to know that I knew who it was or how I even knew. Derek told Scott it was his uncle Peter and what had happened to him. I noticed the Derek didn't tell Scott that I had managed to escape from the house as well. I guess he was trying to keep me safe. I was quite disappointed when I learned that Scott, a werewolf, was dating a girl who was part of a family of hunters who apparently were the cause of the fire in the first place.

"What are you doing? How did you get in here?" a nurse asked. Derek told her we were leaving as he lead me out of the room first since I was near the door.

We dropped off Scott as his house and I climbed into the front seat. "What was in the bullet?" I asked Derek.

"Rare form of wolfsbane."

"And why didn't you tell me about Peter?"

"I didn't want you to see him like that." I nodded my head to let him know I understood. I honestly wished I hadn't seen him like that.

"So let me get this straight. Scott is a werewolf who is dating a girl who is a werewolf hunter?" I asked, as I tried to make sure I had it all figured out.

"Yes."

"And Stiles is...?"

"Annoying." I grinned at Derek's answer.

"But he's not a werewolf right?" I asked to stay on track.

"No. Only Scott," Derek told me.

"So, how did Scott become a werewolf? Is he like you? Or was he bit by the Alpha who is making the pack?" I was sitting crooked in the seat so I could face Derek.

"You know too much," Derek told me as he sent me a quick, concerned glance. I shrugged, waiting for his reply. "Bitten."

"So..." I know I was really pushing my boundaries here since I was supposed to stay out of Derek's werewolf business, but he technically brought me into it. "Scott was bitten by an Alpha. The Alpha is making a pack. There is an entire family of hunters currently in Beacon Hills, one in which Scott is dating. That family set the fire. Peter lived but is comatose. You and Laura also lived because you weren't home. Someone killed Laura, so you came back and now live in the house." I stopped before remembering one other thing. "Oh, I almost forgot that Scott has an annoying friend named Stiles who seems to know about werewolves. Did I get it all?" Derek gave me a disapproving look, but said yes anyway.

"You know more than you should, Chloe. That can get you killed." Derek was being all serious again.

"I know," I sighed. "I just want to help." I turned back around to face the front and leaned my head on the window.

I figured Derek would drop me off at the hotel and go do his own thing. Instead he stayed in my hotel room for the night, opting for the chair to sleep in. I figured that after everything that happened today he just wanted to make sure I was safe even though I had doubt that he would admit that. After all, it was Derek.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit 1
outfit 2