Through the Eyes of the Broken

09

It was dark, cold, and dead silent in the Hale house. Something wasn't right about the place, giving me chills as I walked into the unknown. I called out for anyone who lived here, yet no answer. The hair on the back of my neck was standing as I felt like someone - or something - was watching me, hidden away in the darkness. I felt for the wall in search for the light switch, panicking when it wasn't there. It had to be there! I had lived here for so long and it didn't just magically move. My body froze in place when I felt a presence right behind me, inches from actually touching me. My breathing slowed and I closed my eyes. A voice whispered for me to open my eyes and I obeyed. I turned around to come face to face with glowing red eyes. It was all I could see until everything quickly changed. The red eyed creature disappeared as the room lit up. Kate was standing in the middle of the room laughing with fire around her. The creature appeared from thin air, slashing her throat as she disappeared into oblivion. A couple more creatures appeared soon after watching me as I stayed near the wall, watching them with fear. The three creatures slowly changed revealing their human form. I stood in shock as Peter, Derek, and Scott now stood in front of me telling me to not be afraid. Unfamiliar people joined them as they faded away. Everything went pitch black again. This time the red eyes appeared before baring its fangs. The last thing I heard was howling as it closed in on me.

My eyes shot open as I jerked myself up into sitting position. Beads of sweat was covering my face while the monitor beside the hospital bed was beeping like crazy. It took me a second to realize that I wasn't alone. Derek was standing awkwardly next to the hospital bed watching me. A nurse came rushing in before realizing that I was okay. She stopped the heart monitor from beeping before asking me if I was all right.

"I'm fine; just a nightmare," I managed to answer.

"Must've been terrifying since you've had them all night and morning," she told me. "The nurse before me had warned me. This is the first time you've actually woken up."

"Yeah, I'm glad I did," I admitted before laying back down in the hospital bed.

She brought me a cup of water before asking me how my pain was. After telling her that my body ached, she went to get more pain medication. My attention turned to Derek who was still standing next to the bed, not sure what to do. "Aren't you still wanted by the police?" I questioned, trying to start a conversation with him. I was still mad at him and a bit frightened, but was glad he was here.

"No," he answered which surprised me. "You can't trust Argent."

"Who said I trusted him?"

"You told him about how you knew us."

"He could have gotten that information from Scott, so it didn't really matter," I sighed before closing my eyes. I could feel a headache already coming on. I wasn't in the mood to have an argument with Derek.

"I'm sorry for last night. Scott gave me the proof that I needed about Peter. He..."

I cut Derek off before he could say any more. "Derek, I don't care, okay? I feel like shit. Can we deal with this at another time?"

Before Derek could even say anything, the nurse came back with a couple of painkillers. I quickly swallowed them with water. The nurse asked if I wanted anything to eat, but I said no. She then left me alone with Derek once again.

I was laying with my arm covering my eyes as I tried to get some sleep that didn't involve fucked up nightmares of last night's events. It surprised me when I felt a warm hand grasp my hand that had been resting on my stomach. I moved my arm to see that Derek was taking away some of my pain. When he stopped, he looked up at me. "Thank you," I told him, feeling much better than I had been with just the pain medication.

"Get some rest. I'll be back later to pick you up," Derek told me before letting go. As soon as he let go of my hand it felt different. I couldn't explain it, but it was like a piece of me was missing. I quickly shrugged it off thinking it was all the pain medication I was currently on as well as being tired.

-

Derek came back later that evening. I was released from the hospital which surprised me, but knew it probably had to do with him getting me released early. I was confused when Derek wasn't taking me to the hotel. Instead he drove into warehouse district of Beacon Hills.

"Where are we going?" I questioned after he pulled into a parking lot, making sure his car wasn't visible from the road.

"Beacon Hills Railroad Depot. It's where we are going to stay."

"We?" I raised a brow at him.

"It's not safe for you to be alone. The Argents can always come after you to get to me," he quickly explained before getting out, grabbing the bag of clothes he had brought to the hospital for me as well as the prescription of pain medication that was ordered for me.

I didn't argue with him, but went ahead and followed him inside. The place was pretty big and had a lot of space even though there was a large, rusty subway car near the middle. Random junk was scattered about that had been left here, but it wasn't too much to worry about. I had to say that it was a livable place, especially with the electricity and running water.

"It's temporary," Derek told me as I took it all in. "Think of it as a hideout until we know what the Argents are up to. They can't be happy that Kate is now dead."

"Where am I supposed to sleep?" I asked, noticing that Derek had went to the hotel and brought my stuff here already. The bags were sitting on a table near the wall with what I assumed was Derek's stuff.

"About that..."

"Derek, I don't plan on sleeping on the hard ass floor again."

"You won't. I found an old couch."

"You found a couch? Where the hell do you find a couch? On the side of a street ready for pickup?!" I frowned as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"No, smart ass," he answered before motioning for me to follow him around the subway car. On the other side I found a worn out, brown leather couch that was pushed against the subway car. It was a bit dirty, but still looked comfortable enough to sit or lay on. I went ahead and sat down just to make sure. The cushions had some holes in them and it wasn't the most comfortable thing to sit on, but it was much softer than the concrete floor.

"If I am sleeping here, then where are you sleeping?" I asked out of curiosity.

"The seats of the subway car," he shrugged, acting like it was no big deal. I was going to offer him the couch every other night, but knew he wouldn't agree to it. A part of me wondered if he was trying to make up for last night.

"Hey, Derek!" I stopped him before he went back around to the other side of the subway car. "Thanks for everything." He nodded since there really wasn't much to say.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short filler chapter. outfit