Sequel: Sweet Child O' Mine

Mercy

Chapter 12

"I'm sorry I scared you earlier." he says, brown eyes looking down at her. "I never meant to. I was at that point where I was beyond pissed. I was livid."

"And look what you did." she says picking up his injured hand. "It scares me that you reacted that way. You didn't speak the entire flight and then you broke a vase...It was a little unnerving."

"Its been a long time since I acted that way, but when my dad started in about you and not having enough room... I just lost it." He admits. "I wont let it happen again."

"Thank you for caring enough to defend me." Nikki says softly.

"Anyone that loves my daughter as much as you do, is worth it." he says holding her a little closer. "And more than that, you're my friend."

"You consider me your friend?" she says excitedly. Leland laughs at her excitement. "I knew that I needed you in my life after you let my drunk ass sleep for eight hours in your lap. You never complained."

"You needed someone that night." She reminds him. "I need you every day." he tells her.

"I wish I could tell you what that meant to me. Because it wasn't until I took this job that I felt needed for the first time in my life. My mother was this awful creature that didn't want anything to do with me because it took the attention away from her...I was practically raised by my nanny. Thats why I try to take my time and be patient with Bailee, because I understand what its like to be without a mother."

"The man that marries you will be a lucky man." he says, kissing her cheek. "And to answer the question I know your dying to know... no I don't lay in the bed with all my friends." he tells her, laughing. "Just with you, because I trust you."

Nikki could only smile, never letting on that she was hiding something from him. He wouldn't trust her then, she knew that for sure.

As with anything in life, no secret stays a secret forever...

Nikki had convinced Leland to take a long weekend and go somewhere by himself. And most importantly she told him not to tell anyone where he was going. If he needed to get away, that was the best way to do it. She only asked that let her know that he made it there safely.

Two days later Duane Lee showed up at Leland's front door. "Have you seen my brother?" he asks, letting himself into the house. "Dad said he asked for a few days off and Ive been trying to call him, but he wont answer."

Nikki looks up from the kitchen table where she and Bailee were eating lunch, "Well, Hello to you too." she says laughing as he sits across from her. "Leland is on vacation. He left yesterday." she informs him.

"Vacation? Where did he go, and why didn't he tell anyone?" he asks, drinking some of Nikki's drink. "He needed a break and I don't know where he went." she say, taking her drink back from him. "And stop drinking my drink!"

"You're worried about my germs now, after what we did?"

"Shut up...We're not talking about that." she says, trying her best to make a serious face. Since that night in Colorado, Nikki had tried to push the thought of them sleeping together out of her mind, but every time she closed her eyes she could see him touching her, or kissing her. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she really did enjoy being with him.

"You're thinking about it, aren't you?" he says, grinning at her. "You cant stop thinking about it." he says licking his lips, and reaching across the table to hold her hand.

"Stop." she says, thinking back to that day in the pool when "Stop." wasn't enough.

"You don't mean it now, just like you didn't mean it then...I know you're thinking about that time in the pool." he tells her, still holding her hand. Nikki shakes her head, pulling her hand from his grasp. "Ive got to get Bailee cleaned up." she says, leaving him sitting at the table.

"So you just let Leland go on vacation with out telling anyone where he was going. What if something happens, what if he gets hurt, or dies and no one knows how to get to him!" Duane says, following Nikki through the house as she picked up after Bailee, who was taking a nap.

"He's in his thirties, give him a break!" she says throwing some toys in Bailee's toy box. "I thought it was your job to find out where people were...arent you a Bounty Hunter?" she says sarcastically, as she throws a stuffed animal at him.

"Smart ass." he says, sitting the toy down on the baby bed, then following Nikki down the hall.

"I thought you liked my ass?" she says, pouting. "Best I remember...its been a while, I may have forgotten." he says turning her around to look at it. "I might need a little reminder." He says, pressing his body to hers, one hand sneaking under her shirt to touch her soft skin.

Nikki closed her eyes, enjoyinging his touch for a moment. "No, not here... not at your brother's house." she says turning around to face him.

"Where?" he questions, looking down at her. "My house." she whispers as he kisses her.

"Tomorrow." he says, between the next kiss. "As soon as he gets home. I need you." he says sucking on her neck. "Need to be inside you."

--------------

Very early the next morning, Leland surprises Nikki by jumping in the bed with her. "Am I supposed to scream and be all scared?" she asks, with her eyes still closed, trying to keep a straight face.

"Yeah...thats kinda what I was going for." he says laughing, and climbing under the cover with her. "It might have worked if you hadn't of opened the garage, slammed the door and said ouch when you tripped over the shoes you left in the hall." she says, eyes still closed, it was much to early to be awake, she thought.

"Cant blame a man for trying." he says laughing.

"Did you have a good trip?" she asks, finally opening her eyes, trying to adjust to the bright sunlight streaming through the windows of the guest room. "I feel so much better. Thanks for the idea. I owe you one." he smiles, then kisses her cheek for good measure.

"I take kisses on the lips too, you know." she says with an evil smile. Maybe now is a good time to take my revenge, she thinks to herself as she studies his face.

"Do you? Well..." he says, not really sure of where this was going. "Are you trying to trick me?"

"Nope... just telling you for the future... I mean if you really wanted to pay me back, I have a few things in mind..."

"Like what?" he asks, moving closer to her and wrapping an arm around her waist. He wanted to convince himself this was real, but he was pretty sure she was just playing him.

"Lets see....a raise is always nice, maybe some jewelry...you know, the usual girl things." she says quietly, as she lays her head on his chest. "Well then, I'll have to see what I can do." he tells her. "You don't come off as being overly girly though."

"I'm girly...but I'm not helpless, I cant stand a weak woman." Nikki say to him. "Thats what I love about you." he says kissing her on the forehead.

"There you go again, not kissing me on the lips..." she says giggling. Nikki had felt very at ease with Leland, for her that was a feat all in its self. Growing up she had been taught never to trust anyone; at least thats what she always heard her father tell people. He would say, "There's always someone out to take your money." That advice or lack there of, had shaped her teenage years. She found it very hard to make friends or get a boyfriend, because the one time she let her guard down, someone had taken advantage of her. For her money of all things. After that she vowed to become a better person than she was raised to be, and not allow money to be part of the equation. Which had been the reason she omitted that fact when she met Leland.

"Hello..." Leland said, waving a hand in front of her face. "Oh - Sorry." she says a little embarrassed.

"What were you thinking about?" he asks, running a hand through her hair.

"My dad, actually."

"Oh yeah... I forgot you had daddy issues." he says smirking. "I am older than you... maybe I could fix that problem for you." he says, stroking her face with his fingertips.

"You're not that much older, just eight years... that hardly constitutes the ability to be my daddy. Sugar daddy, maybe..." she says, climbing on top of him. "Revenge is so sweet." she thinks to herself.

"So, you're just after my money then?" he says, raising an eyebrow as she leans over him on all fours.

"I want it all." she says biting her lip. "Is there a combo meal I can order? Money and Fame? Maybe the Money, Fame, Sex combo?" she asks, shyly, trying very hard to keep her cool and not laugh, but the look on his face was priceless and made it that much harder.

"If I'm going, I'm going big .... Is it big baby?" she whispers in his ear, ever so slightly rubbing her body against his as she climbs off the bed. He rolls his eyes at her while laughing.

"What are you doing today?" Leland asks, catching her by the hand before she walks off. She smiles, thinking of her plans for the day. "Ive got a booty call...gotta get home and shower." she says, turning to walk away.

"Now I know your just fucking with me." he says, playfully smacking her on the ass. "Am I? You'll never know... " she says walking out of the room.