Sequel: Sweet Child O' Mine

Mercy

Chapter 2

Two uneventful weeks had passed as Nikki and Bailee became closer to one another. Nikki trying her best everyday to teach and help Bailee to grow. "Lets work on walking." she says standing the little girl up in the floor. "You're almost one, its time, don't you think?" she asks the brown eyed girl.

Bailee stood steady on her two little feet. But Nikki wasn't sure she was quite ready to take that first step. "You can do it baby, just walk to me, come on!" she said with encouragement. After twenty minutes of coaxing her to try to walk, the two girls look up as Leland walks through the door, Bailee smiles and promptly falls down. "I guess we'll work on it tomorrow then." Nikki says, as she scoops the child up from the floor.

"How's my girl today?" Leland says as Nikki hands her over to her father who throws her up in the air, making her laugh. "She's been pretty good today. We've been working on that first step. I told her that she was almost one, and it was time." she says smiling down at Bailee.

Leland watches the interaction between Nikki and his daughter and knows that he made the right decision to hire her. So far things had been running smoothly. He was able to get home at a decent hour most every day for the past two weeks. Something that Nikki was grateful for, but she would never tell him that.

"So, I'll be here at the usual time tomorrow." Nikki tells Leland as she gathers her purse up and throws it over her shoulder. "Actually I don't have to work tomorrow. So..." he says trailing off.

"Oh." she says surprised. "Well then, I guess I'll see you on Monday then." Nikki tells him as she walks to the front door. "Thanks again." she hears as she closes the door.

--------
"You ran into Leland Chapman? That guy that does that TV show?" Amy asks over dinner. Nikki sips her wine and nods her head yes.

Amy couldn't believe what she was hearing. "I go away to New York for two weeks and I come back to this... really? What's he like?" she asks wiggling her eyebrows. The two women giggle and continue to eat their meal.

"I don't know.... I saw him for maybe five minutes..." Nikki says, lying to her best friend

"Besides, you know he's not our type Amy...Tattoo's and long hair, God, what would our mother's say?" Nikki says laughing. I shouldn't be that way, Nikki thinks to herself as the words leave her mouth.

"I sound like such a bitch" she states. Amy looks up from her lobster and shakes her head "no". "Are you kidding Nikki, he is so not what we need. We need a normal guy with a lot of money who can take care of us. Our father's wouldn’t accept any less than that."

She's more of an uppity girl than I ever dreamed of being, Nikki decides, as she smiles across the table to her friend who's going on and on about what kind of man she needed to marry. She could never tell Amy that she was actually working for Leland. That just wouldn't do.

"Our mother's would tell us to have fun looking, but that was as far as it could go. Our fathers on the other hand, would forbid anything from ever happening with someone like him." Amy informs her as they finish their meal.