Sequel: Sweet Child O' Mine

Mercy

Chapter 27

"My mother called to tell me that you made a great impression on her." Nikki says to Duane over the phone the next day. "She said you were funny, polite and had beautiful blue eyes."

"Really?"

"Thats what she said. She also wanted to meet me for lunch, so can you take a rain check on our lunch?" Nikki asks, hoping that he wont mind the change of plans.

"Anything for you babe. Besides, we're still looking for this guy so I would have been late anyway. Go have lunch with your mom and be careful."

***********

"I have a present for you." Nikki's mother, Mary, says handing her a small gift box over lunch. She opens the box slowly, not knowing what might be inside.

"Its a pearl...on a string?" she asks, looking at her mother across the table.

"Its a pearl bracelet, for the baby. Every year on her birthday, I plan on giving her a pearl and when she gets married you give her the completed bracelet." Mary says proudly.

"What if I don't have a girl? Do you know how many boys are in the Chapman family?" Nikki says laughing, as she examines the bracelet.

"Mothers just know these things, dear."

"Why are you being so nice all of the sudden?" Nikki asks, knowing her mother must be up to something.She hadn't known her to be nice to anyone but her own self.

Mary sighs, as she sips her wine. "I realized when you told me that you were pregnant that I wasn't always the best mother. Or even a good mother to you. There are so many things I could have done differently, and I just want the chance to be a good grandmother to this baby. Will you forgive me for ruining your life?"

"You didn't ruin my life. You didn't help it much, but you didn't ruin it...I'll forgive you, if you stop telling me I look dreadful every time you see me." Nikki says.

"You were sweaty when I came to your house yesterday, you shouldn't sweat unless your playing tennis, honey."

"I don't play tennis, mother."

"My point exactly."

"Ugh... you are infuriating, I swear! Stop getting me worked up, the baby doesn't like it." Nikki says, rubbing her stomach.

"Nicole, you should look like a lady at all times. I know that I instilled those values in you. You should never leave the house without your hair fixed and the appropriate jewelery on. You had neither of those yesterday."

Nikki takes a sip of her ice water. She could feel her face becoming flushed, she was thankful that it was fall, even if it was still seventy five degrees outside, at least a breeze was blowing.

"I was cleaning house, and Duane Lee had just gotten in from work. I hate to break it to you, but thats how real people live...with out maids." she says, fanning her face as she spoke.

"I just want to know that he'll take care of you Nicole; that he loves you."

"He will and he does...more than anyone ever has. Can you call him please. Somethings not right- " Nikki says before she passes out, falling from her chair and onto the ground.

Two Months Ago

"What are you doing young lady?" asks Duane Lee as he comes in from work.

"What?" Nikki asks, surprised that he was home so early in the day. "I'm just trying to put the crib together. Its not a big deal."

He rolls his eyes, taking the screwdriver from her and sitting down next to her on the floor. He knew that leaving her so soon after she had been on bed rest was not a good idea, but his father called early and asked for his help catching a drug dealer; he couldn't say no.

"Ive been on bed rest for two weeks. I need to do something productive, I'm going crazy." she whines, throwing the directions to the crib at him. "I feel helpless and I hate it." she cries and lays her head on his shoulder.

"Please don't cry baby. Here -" he says, handing her the screwdriver. "If it will make you feel better to put the crib together then go ahead." he says with a sigh, knowing he wouldn't win this argument. "I'll stay in here with you, in case you need me to move anything, just don't get worked up again. I'm still pissed off at your mother for making you that stressed."

"Long day? You look tired." she says to Duane as he hands her the last screw for the crib.

"Yes...its hard without Leland. You don't realize how much each person contributes to the team, until one is gone, you know? Me and dad have to work twice as hard now, I'll be glad when Leland comes back to work." he says, yawning as he lies down on the floor of the nursery, watching Nikki.

"Have you decided what color you want me to paint the room? You know we can find out next month what we're having." Duane Lee says, with a smile.

Nikki returned the smile, knowing how proud and excited he was to finally become a father at thirty nine. "Do you want to find out, or do you want to be surprised?" she asks, as she moves over to straddle his waist as he lays on the floor.

He grunts as she gets comfortable.

"Am I hurting you, I know I'm fat." she says looking down at him.

"No, I'm just old." he tells her, pushing his hands under the hem of her cotton dress. The skin was smooth and soft as he messaged her thighs.

"You are not old. Stop saying that."

"I'm thirty nine and my twenty eight year old fiance is pregnant with my first child. Do you know that when I was eleven, you were just born...when I was twenty one, you were still in elementary school..."

"If it bothers you so much then leave." Nikki says, pushing her self off of him and walking out of the nursery.

The faint words "Jack ass!" float down the hall as she makes her way into the kitchen.

******

He sighs, closing his eyes and putting his arms behind his head. 'This going to be a very long pregnancy.' he tells himself. It didn't take long for him to drift off into a peaceful sleep. Sometime later the smell of food woke him from his nap, He walked sleepily into the kitchen, rubbing his face with his hands
and found Nikki cooking dinner.

"Whats for dinner?" he asks, propping his chin on the top of her head.

"Spaghetti." she says, as she pours some sauce into the pan.

"My favorite..."

"I know, its my apology." she says, turning around to face him. "I'm sorry." she says sincerely, giving him her best puppy dog eyes as she looked up at him.

"I know its just the hormones...dont worry, I still love you." he says, kissing her on the forehead.