‹ Prequel: Mercy
Status: WIP

Sweet Child O' Mine

I need to tell you about Kalani Leau.

Before I knew it, Duane Lee had walked through the front door. He stood there; motionless, unsure of what to say.

Lyssa stands up with me as I turn to see him for the first time in over a week. "I'm just gonna run some errands so you two can talk." She says, quietly excusing herself from her own home.

"Maggie? What are you doing here." he asks slowly after a few awkward moments.

"I had to find you. You left me in Spain, unattended... you know I tend to wander off like a little kid." I say lightly, trying to ease his mood. It didn't seem to be working.

Duane Lee's POV:

I couldn't believe she was standing in my sister's house of all places. I had hoped when I left that she would be so pissed off that she never thought about me again. That didn't seem to be the case. She had tracked me down and found me; I didn't know if I should be flattered or frightened.

As I thought about it for a moment, I smiled at her. I was really flattered that she had even wanted to find me. Maybe my outlook on women needed to change. They weren't all like Nikki.

"I'm sorry for leaving you like that. After Nikki called and said she saw my picture in a tabloid; I panicked. She threatened me with never seeing Ellie again so I had to come home. I couldn't risk that..."

"Lets talk." I say sitting down beside her. "I need to tell you about Kalani Leau..." I say beginning my story.

Maggie, gives me a supportive smile as she listened to me explain my past and how I got to where I am today.

One year ago:

"I'm headed to the airport, babe" I yell as I jogged down the stairs with my daughter in my arms. I made a few silly faces at Ellie as I handed her off to her mother. I kissed them both, telling them how much I loved them and walked out the door. By the time we landed in Kona my world had been turned upside down and I didn't even know it.

Nikki's POV:

I had just put Ellie down for a nap when I heard glass shatter somewhere in the house. I panicked as I ran toward my baby's room as fast I could. I pushed the door open and she was gone; the bedroom window broken. I screamed, running from room to room, trying to find my daughter, but she wasn't there, someone had taken her. Someone had kidnapped my daughter.

Yanking the cordless phone from its base, I dialed 911 as fast as my shaking hands would allow.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Someone took my baby, I cant find her... she gone!" I screamed into the phone.

"Calm down ma'am, I cant understand you. Did you say your baby is gone? Did someone kidnap your baby?" The operator asked over and over as I tried to calm myself down.

"Yes, I put her down for a nap and when I got back to the kitchen I heard a window break, she was gone when I ran back in her room. Please help me. Oh God, what am I going to do?" I begged.

"I'll send an officer right away."

I hung up and called Duane Lee, knowing he was still somewhere over the ocean. "Duane, you have to come back home. Something terrible happened. Someone took Ellie... please call me, please.." I cried, collapsing on the kitchen floor.