A Boy Named Evan

Like A Dagger Through My Heart

No One’s P.O.V:

Two weeks had passed since Evan last saw Rosie. She had not been at school and was not answering her phone. Evan was very worried about her. He called her three times a day but every time he did, he would be cut off. He even tried sending her emails but those too were not answered. Yet again, Evan walked through the school corridors with his head hung low.

Evan’s P.O.V:

Oh boy, another boring school day. Can my like suck anymore then it already does? Oh, wait. Yes. I forgot to do my English homework. Shit. I slumped my bag down on the bench and sat beside it. Wait. I studied the black and red chequered bag on the other side of me. That’s Rosie’s bag! She’s here today! I leapt off the bench and ran through the school in search of her. There she was, sitting alone on a different bench. She saw me but then, to my surprise, she quickly turned her head the other way. Was she trying to hide from me? Why would she do that? I slowly walked up to her and sat down beside her. “Hey. Where have you been? I’ve missed you!”

Rosie’s P.O.V:

Oh shit! He saw me! What do I say? Can’t he tell that I’m trying to avoid him? I don’t want to but it’s the way t has to be. “Hi” I mumbled.
“Where have you been?” he repeated, a sad and worried expression appearing on his face.
“At home” I said simply.
“Am I missing something? Do you not wish to talk to me?” I want more than anything in the world to talk to Evan. To gaze into his eyes. To hug him. To kiss him. But you can’t always have what you want. I handed him his jacket I had lying beside me.
“I have to tell you a few important things” I said. “Firstly, don’t worry. I’m not pregnant. And Jimmy was expelled for what for what he did. Secondly, thankyou for taking care of me afterwards. And lastly…” My voice trailed off as tears formed in my eyes. Evan got up and knelt down in front of me, forcing me to look into his eyes.
“What is it Rosie? Please don’t cry. It can’t be that bad.” He smiled sweetly at me and his eyes were full of happiness. I can’t do this to him!
“Evan. I’m so sorry. My dad said that if I continue to go out with you, he will move me to a different school! I’m sorry.” Tears were running down my face and dripping onto Evan’s hands which he had placed underneath my chin.
“Sorry for what? You have nothing to apologise for.” He looked confused.
“I’m breaking up with you Evan. I don’t love you” I said coldly. Perhaps my last words would make the situation seem believable to him.

Evan’s P.O.V:

My hands dropped numbly to my sides. How could she listen to her dad? Why would she do this to me? Those first words wounded me deep, like a dagger through my heart. Rosie then twisted the blade. She must still love me! She was sorry and crying her eyes out! I got up and ran to the toilets. I was crying the most I’ve ever cried in my life. I grabbed a bunch of towelling and attempted to wipe my face clean from smeared eyeliner. It was no use. The bell rang for first lesson, art. I decided to go even though I looked like a complete ruin. As I opened the door, twenty faces all turned to face me. I was late. Sitting down in my usual seat at the back of the classroom in the corner, I began to sketch an idea for my art piece which we had to do. “Evan, you’re late” stated the teacher.
“Sorry” I mumbled.
“Don’t let it happen again” he said sternly. “Is this your art piece?” I nodded my head slightly. “It’s…umm…interesting” he said before walking off. I had sketched a boy lying dead on the bathroom floor. Blood was splattered everywhere. Will this be my destiny?