A Boy Named Evan

The Letter

Evan’s P.O.V:

I explained to my parents what had happened. They attempted to comfort me with hugs and kisses but it didn’t work. I faked a smile and went back to my bedroom. “Evan honey!” I heard my mum call. She appeared at the door. “This was just slipped under the front door.” She held out a letter.
“Thanks” I said as I took it. It was from Rosie. Why did she send me a letter? Why didn’t she just come in? I opened it slowly and with caution:

‘Dear Evan,
I don’t know how to start this…I don’t think there is a way. My dad threatened to kick me out onto the streets. He wasn’t joking this time. He was serious. I’m so sorry…I can never see you again. Why don’t I move in with you? Because my dad would find out and…I don’t know what he’d do. I don’t want to know. Why don’t we see each other in secret? He’d only find out. He has all of the other times. We can’t hide our love for each other Evan, you know that. I certainly do. I want you to always remember that I love you with all my heart and I’ll never stop, not for anyone of anything. I know you feel the same. I’ll never forget you Evan. You’ve left a piece of yourself inside my heart and it will never fade away. Please remember me…I’ll remember you. I give you my heart to keep forever.
Love always, your Rosie.’

I stared blankly at the letter for a moment before my knees finally gave way. I dropped to the floor, tears running violently from my eyes. No. she can’t mean this. This can’t happen. Not again. I love her. I need her to survive. She is my world and without her, I can’t exist. I scrambled clumsily to my feet and made my way to my desk. Finding paper and a pen, I wrote my own letter.

Rosie’s P.O.V:

After I slipped the letter underneath Evan’s door, I ran. I ran as fast and as far as I could. I didn’t want to see his reaction. I felt so bad. When I got home, I heard my dad on the phone. He was yelling furiously. “What do you mean she’s not there!? Don’t lie to me boy!” Was that Evan? “Stay away from my daughter!” oh my god! It was Evan! “No I will not pass on any messages to her!” What? Evan wanted to say something to me. It must be important. I sprinted to my room to grab the other phone. Carefully, I picked it up and placed it to my ear.
“Look sir. Please. Just tell her that I won’t feel anymore pain that she inflicts on me because I’m going back to my old habits.” Oh no. Please, no.
“No! I’m not telling her anything!” my dad yelled again.
“Fuck you” Evan said with a bitterness I didn’t know he was capable of before he hung up. Shit. He can’t. Not because of me. Not again. Why did he have to react so negatively!? I felt the tears coming again as I ran out the house and sprinted as fast as I could to Evan’s house. I had made a mistake. A huge mistake. And it may cost his life. I had to hurry.