‹ Prequel: The Bird

Paradise

Chapter 3

Bruce, with Tony's help, moved Skye into his lab and had her laid out on the exam table. He had taken a blood sample and a brain scan.

"What's the prognosis, Doc?" Tony asked.

"Her blood is normal, but look at her brain." An image of her brain flashed on the screen.

"What the-"

"We don't know what the Tesseract was capable of doing to a human, but my theory is, when Loki had her under his control...the Tesseract clashed with the serum she was injected with. She can manipulate energy right?" Tony nodded. "Well, the Tesseract is a large energy source and her body is trying to fight it off. That's why she doesn't sleep, has nightmares, seems more...neurotic than the average teenager."

The lab doors opened and Steve walked in.

"I got a call from JARVIS. What happened?" He glanced at the unconscious Skye on the table.

"She had a seizure. The serum she was injected with is trying to fight off the effects of the Tesseract. Being under Loki's control."

"Is there anything you can do?"

"It'll search for a possible solution, but for now we'll have to keep a close eye on her."

"Right. Watch for another seizure, make sure she doesn't hurt herself."

Tony didn't miss the way Skye shifted towards Steve's voice. He knew there was something between his daughter and the super soldier. He'd seen the way she'd looked at him on the hellicarrier before the invasion. He'd seen the way she blushed whenever he picked her up from Steve's apartment.

Tony squeezed his daughter's hand, placing a hand on Steve's shoulder before leaving the lab with Bruce. His daughter was stable for now and he knew she was safe with Steve.

"JARVIS, pull up the security footage."

The live feed from Dr. Banner's lab popped up on screen. Steve had taken Tony's place beside Skye, sitting on a stool beside her, one of her hand's in both of his.

"Spying on them?" Bruce asked from behind Tony.

"Just keeping an eye out." He wouldn't ever admit it, but he was scared of losing her, and not in the way one would think.