‹ Prequel: The Bird

Paradise

Chapter 5

"Dad?" I bounded into the lab, sliding to a stop in front of the table my dad was leaning over.

"Whatever broke, tell Pepper I'll buy a new one."

I rolled my eyes. "Nothing's broken. I need t ask you something."

"Shoot."

I took a deep breath. "So Steve comes back on Monday from his mission and I wanted to do something special for him because he's been doing so well as far as getting caught up on history and so I was wondering if I could take him to a Broadway show?"

My dad paused his work, looking up at me. "Like a date?"

"No...just two friends hanging out celebrating."

My dad chewed his lip, staring at me intently. "Fine. I'll let you go on one condition." A smile broke out on my face. "You have to take Happy with you."

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I hugged him before running off, almost slipping around the corner.

XXXX

The cool fall air was whipping around us as we walked the semi-crowded New York streets.

"Do I really need another dress, Pepper?"

"You only turn 18 once, Skye." She said as she pulled me into Alexander McQueen.

I felt like I tried on every dress in the store before I decided on one. It was sleeveless with a fitted waist that flowed out at the bottom. It came just above my knees.

"Is this the one?" Pepper asked as I stared at myself in the mirror.

"Yeah. This is the one."

After another few hours of shoe and accessory shopping (which was totally pointless in my book, I mean I have enough clothes I could go a year without repeating an outfit) we finally called it a day and headed back to the tower.

XXXX

"Come on." I pulled Steve by the hand int the theater. "You don't want to miss your surprise."

I was literally bouncing in my seat with excitement. I watched Steve's face as the Overture started playing.

"It's still on Broadway?" He leaned close to my face.

"Aye, Cap'n." I kissed his cheek before settling back in my seat, my eyes on the stage.

Halfway through the show I noticed Steve's hand on the armrest between us. I bit my lip, looking from his hand to his face a couple times before taking a deep breath and bravely taking his hand in mine, entwining our fingers. I held my breath waiting for him to pull away and storm from the theater.

I let go of that breath as soon as he tightened his grip on my hand. I could see the blush on his cheeks, even in the dark theater.

Once the show was over, Steve and I left the theater, still hand in hand.

"Did you enjoy the show?"

"Still the same as I remember. Still as good." He stopped, turning to face me. "Thank you. I really needed that."

"It's the least I could do after shoving 70 years of history down your throat."

"That really means a lot. Everything you've done to help me. Everything you're still doing."

I wrapped my arms around his waist and he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into his chest. I closed my eyes, listening to his beating heart. I thought I saw a flash, but I figured it was just my imagination.

Boy was I wrong.