‹ Prequel: The Bird

Paradise

Chapter 6

"What the hell is this?"

There I was, minding my own business, eating a sandwich when a copy of US Weekly was thrown in front of me.

"What is what?"

"American sweethearts? America's billionaire heir and America's hero a couple? Skye Stark, daughter of Billionaire Tony Stark and who is believed t be Captain America were seen out together Monday night. They left a Broadway show together hand in hand and were seen hugging on the sidewalk...It's n every cover of every magazine, it's all over the news. I thought you said it wasn't a date."

"It wasn't...I mean, we aren't..."

"You're only 17, Skye."

"Did that ever stop you? How many women have you been with in your lifetime? You never once asked me if it bothered me that my dad was a man-whore who slept with anything that was blonde and had legs. Then I go out to see a show with a guy, who mind you I've known for longer than 2 hours and suddenly it's not okay? You should be happy I'm trying to live a normal life. Then suddenly you just loose your cool because the Stark name's on the news again. Well, at least I had my clothes on." I grabbed my sandwich, heading to my room. I was almost shaking with anger.

I slammed my door shut, flopping on my bed. It wasn't fair, him treating me like a child. I'm almost an adult, I'm old enough to make my own decisions.

Needless to say, the weeks went by and the rumors about Steve and I quickly dissipated. I continued to teach Steve, clear up until the night before my party.

"You're still coming, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow night then."

He leaned forward, gently kissing my cheek. He lingered there for a few seconds, before pulling away slowly. He smiled down at me and I grinned at him like an idiot.

"I-I'm gonna..." I pointed to the door. "I should..." I started walking towards the door while still looking at him, only to almost walk into a wall.

I chewed on my lip all the way to the car. I wasn't sure what to think anymore. My dad would never allow it. But I was turning 18 tomorrow. But still he's my dad...

"Miss Stark?" Happy broke my train of thought. "Are you going to get in the car, or just stand there and stare at it?"

"Right."

XXXX

I hated dressing up for parties. Having my hair done and my makeup. I'd rather be relaxing in sweatpants and a t-shirt. But I had to grin and bear it for my dad. At least Steve's coming. That's a plus.

"You'll have to go out there eventually. If you don't your father will just make a bigger scene than he's already planing."

"Oh god. He's not drunk already, is he?"

"I wouldn't call it that." Pepper sighed. "You know your father's trying."

"I know." I sighed. "I guess it's now or never.

There were people everywhere. It seemed like my dad had invited half of New York City.

"There's the birthday girl!" Suddenly all eyes were on me. I wanted to disappear as everyone got to their feet applauding. My dad wrapped his arm around my shoulders smiling at me. Yup. Definitely drunk.

He steered me to the bar where Rhodey was sitting, conversing with Clint.

"Lady Stark!" I was picked up and spun around in the air. "What a grand celebration."

"Hi Thor." I laughed. Wow, he really invited everyone.

"There's my favorite 18 year old." I hugged Natasha.

After hugs had been passed around, people had taken their attention off me. I still didn't see Steve and y stomach was in knots. What if he decided he didn't want to come?"

"You're awfully distracted."

"Hm?" I looked up at Rhodey.

"Waiting for someone?"

"No...It's just been a past couple weeks."

"Uh huh" His eyes looked past me for a second. "Well, don't worry. Prince Charming is here."