Move With Me

Three

The taint smell of nicotine blew underneath my nose with every stale bite of exhalation. When I first started smoking and Jess found out, I was sitting outside on the jagged roof from the window that lead from my room. My brother didn’t say a word. Instead just plotted down right beside me with his messy dark hair in his face staring off at our neighbor’s tree across from us. A weeping willow. He had his own little take on bad habits. Some that I knew of, and others I didn’t. Even when I was done with my cigarette, we sat together in silence for the longest time.

“Sheana?” his voice breaking the calming atmosphere.

“Yeah?”

He laid his hands back behind him for support letting out a sigh. A cold breeze drift by making a shiver go up my spine. I started to wonder how long we have been out here and immediately started to regret not bringing a jacket along with me.

“Its cause of dad, isn’t it?”
He looked at me with annoyance, as if we been through this a thousand times. Which in theory we have. Jess was always good at reading people, a gift that I envy him for.

I didn’t feel like answering.

My younger brother puts his hooded arm around my shoulder and squeeze it tight. A sign of affection from him was a rarity, unless you count the numerous times he tickle tortured me to the floor. I lean in to him as I cried quietly.

I let out another puff of air as I continue reminiscing on the memory. If only the reason for my actions could be explained as easily as an absence father as it did back then I would have slapped myself. Yet this is different. It’s even harder to let go when someone you loved has loved you back. A feeling our father have never expressed in the way a father should. I really wish you were here Jess, I could only imagine what comfort you would give me if you saw me like this.

“You know you shouldn’t be doing that on school grounds.”

The sharpness of the voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked to my right to see a medium built guy with dirty blond hair, wearing a hat on backwards with the latest name brand attire and baggy sleek jacket. Derrick.

“Fuck off, it’s after school” I hiss back. The old me wouldn’t of said that, but since bitterness and isolation took over since then, the new version of me didn’t really care.

“Oh I get it” he said as he came closer, resting against the brick wall.

“What?”

“You’re such a typical rebellious girl”

“You don’t know one thing about me Derrick, so stop trying to sum up my life. You wouldn’t understand.”

“Your right I don’t understand, so I’ll be nice to you and not rat you out this time.” He jokes as he removes himself from the wall and starts walking away.

“Oh how considerate of you.” I replied sarcastically. Rather he heard me or not I have no idea.

After a while I decided to check the time and realize I should start moving otherwise I would be late for another session I couldn’t afford to miss. Putting the cigarette out on the ground, I smear it into the concrete and left with the fumes lingering after me.