Would You Fall Too?

17: The Neighbour Girl

“I really don’t think that this is necessary, Isla” Emilie protested as she stepped out of her bedroom, her hands self-consciously pulling at the bottom of the dress that her friend had dressed her in. It was the night of the party, after a few lunch dates with Sergio, Emilie had agreed to show her face, but that didn’t mean that she wasn’t nervous about the idea of meeting his friends. He had done a lot to convince her that there was nothing to be worried about, Sergio had talked almost endlessly about how excited his friends were to meet his girlfriend, but still Emilie remained a little hesitant, hence why she had insisted that Isla go with her. It was a silly thing, Sergio’s friends were more than likely to be lovely people that she could get along with, but for the first time, she wanted Isla with her, something which had led to the other girl insisting on costumes.

“Nonsense” Isla refuted “It’s a Halloween party, Em, and it’s a costume party. I know Sergio said you didn’t have to, but I thought it would be nice if you made the effort” she insisted, putting the final touches to Emilie’s costume.

“I agree, but could we not have gone for something which was a little less…revealing?” Emilie refuted, her hands tugging down the green skirt which stopped in the middle of her thighs.

“Your boyfriend wanted to be Batman” Isla grinned “And seeing as you flat out refused to be Cat Woman, you’ll have to settle for Robin” she enthused, offering the mask out to Emilie who eyed it a little unsurely. “You’re going to be fine, Em” Isla smiled as she stepped towards the ginger girl, placing the mask over her eyes “It’s next door and if it gets too much, just find me and I will bring you back here, Ok?” she bargained.

She could see that Emilie was nervous, for the entire hour that they had been getting ready, she had been pestering Isla about her costume or why they had to go in the first place, but Isla wasn’t about to let her back out. Sergio had been patient with her, they’d known each other for months, and the defender deserved a little something for being as wonderful as he had been, something which attending his party was. He wanted to show Emilie off, in the brief time that Isla had seen them together, she could see just how proud of himself he was for being with Emilie, and Isla didn’t want her friend to screw it up, something she inevitably would if she refused to give him just a little more.

Emilie sighed a little and adjusted the mask over her face. “Alright” she conceded gently.

Isla grinned and seized Emilie’s hand, pulling her out of the door and towards Sergio’s house, not missing the plethora of expensive cars which lined the street. “You should knock” Isla insisted, pushing Emilie a little towards the door.

Emilie spared a glance back towards her friend before she tentatively tapped on the front door, waiting patiently for someone to answer it. “Can I help you?” A tall man asked, his voice catching Emilie slightly off guard.

“I…I was looking for Sergio” she stammered out, her cheeks a little warm as she peeked up at the man.

“Can I ask for your name?” he replied.

Emilie swallowed, trying to find her voice.

“I can’t let you in without a name. This is a private party” the man replied.

“She’s his neighbour” Isla interjected, sensing that Emilie was a little overwhelmed.

The man in the doorway tilted his head. “You’re the neighbour girl?” he posed, his eyebrow cocked.

Emilie nodded wordlessly.

“Is Sergio around…?” Isla’s voice trailed off as she tried to get his name. She couldn’t help but find him handsome.

“Cristiano” the man smiled “And I’ll go and get him” he added before he jogged back into the house, returning quickly with Sergio at his side. The defender, who wore a Batman costume, grinned, his brown eyes wandering up and down his girlfriend’s body.

“Emmy” he breathed “Querida, you look…wow” he squeaked.

Emilie’s cheeks reddened as she ducked her head, hiding her face shyly.

Sergio smiled and took a couple of paces forwards, leaning down to press a kiss against her lips. Emilie startled slightly, not expecting such an overt display of affection, but she warmed to it quickly, her hands gently placing themselves on his shoulders. Cristiano rolled his eyes a little and peeked over at Isla. “Can I get you something to drink?” he posed.

The blonde smiled and nodded her head. “I thought you’d never ask” she teased, skittering after the forward.

Sergio pulled away from Emilie slightly, a smile on his face. “I can’t believe you’re wearing a costume to match mine” he enthused softly, his hands gently brushing over the red and green material of her costume.

“Isla insisted” Emilie noted “Apparently, as your girlfriend, I am obliged to match you on all occasions. Should we ever go to a friend’s wedding, your tie should match my dress and so on” she enthused, her shy smile on her face.

Sergio smiled. “If you leave Isla alone with Cristiano, we might be attending a wedding together sooner than you think” he teased before he pressed a kiss against her cheek.

Emilie relaxed into his touch. She had a feeling that that night would be a lot easier if he was at her side.

~#~
“So, you’re the famous neighbour girl?” Gareth Bale noted as he sat down on the couch beside Emilie, his blue eyes studying her a little.

“I guess I am” Emilie replied softly “Though, I don’t quite see why people keep calling me ‘the famous neighbour girl’” she added, shifting a little nervously. Gareth wasn’t the first, since she had arrived at the party, a lot of Sergio’s friends had referred to her as the famous neighbour girl, and it unsettled her slightly. She didn’t quite know if she was comfortable with Sergio talking about her when she wasn’t around.

Gareth smiled. “You’re all our Captain talks about” he enthused softly “I’ve lost count of the amount dinners and guys’ nights he’s ducked out on since the pair of your started hanging out” he added.

“He does that?” Emilie posed, her nose wrinkled a little in embarrassment.

“He adores you” Gareth informed her gently, a genuine smile on his face. She was timid, Emilie had barely made conversation the entire night with anyone that wasn’t Isla or Sergio, but Gareth could see why Sergio was interested in her so much. Emilie seemed like a welcome change from Pilar who had attempted to change Sergio into something he wasn’t.

Emilie shook her head. “I doubt that” she mumbled.

Gareth shook his head. “He honestly adores you, Emilie” he enthused softly “All he talks about is you, and the dinners you two have” he added.

Emilie’s cheeks warmed.

“What are you saying about me, Bale?” Sergio’s voice was slightly authoritative as he padded over to them, greeting Emilie with a small grin.

Gareth smiled. “Nothing bad, Captain” he grinned before he offered Emilie a little wink, padding away to join the party.

“What was with the wink?” Sergio posed, his tone a little jealous as he slipped into Gareth’s vacated seat.

Emilie smiled. “He was just being nice, Sese” she insisted gently “All of your friends have been so nice, even if they do call me the famous neighbour girl instead of using my actual name. They’re really quite lovely” she added.

“I told you that they were” Sergio insisted as he took a hold of her legs, placing them over his lap.

“You were right, again” she conceded.

Sergio smiled. “I’m glad you came tonight” he admitted softly, his brown eyes landing on Isla and Cristiano who were sat in the corner, stealing kisses from one another.

Emilie nodded. “I am too” she admitted shyly “Thanks for making me” she added.

Sergio laughed. “I only suggested it. Isla made you do it and I can’t help but think she did it just to get in Ronaldo’s pants” he teased.

Emilie shook her head and shuffled a little closer, snuggling underneath his arms. Sergio placed a kiss on her head. After that night, he was sure that things could only go from strength to strength for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)