Would You Fall Too?

02: I Didn’t Mean That

“Do you want something to eat or drink?” Emilie posed as she led Sergio through her home, setting him up against the kitchen counter. She didn’t quite know what to say to him, with little knowledge of him or anything that could have happened to him, she didn’t want to appear nosy, but she knew she couldn’t just leave him stood in her home without another word. The situation was odd enough as it was and she didn’t want to make it worse with awkward silences or blank staring. Sergio, who had slumped into the stool which stood beside her counter, looked up. “Could I get a glass of water?” he posed “I feel a little nauseous and could use it to settle me down” he explained. Emilie offered him a nod and padded towards the sink, filling up a glass before she handed it to him.

“I could show you to the spare room if you’d like” she offered gently, her blue eyes watching as he drained the glass “It’s getting late and I am sure you’d like to get your head down” she added, trying to keep herself from rambling. It was a nervous habit, Emilie’s nerves tended to get the better of her when she was around new people and it either went one of two ways, she either said nothing or too much.

Sergio swallowed the cold drink and nodded his head. “That’d be great” he mused “Are you sure that you don’t mind doing this…?” he trailed off a little, something which made Emilie smile, a little amused by the inability he had to recall her name. She wasn’t surprised, even despite the fact that they had been neighbours for years, Sergio had never made an attempt to learn her name, and it made Emilie smile. She liked the idea that she wasn’t on his radar.

“We’ll stick with neighbour girl for now, shall we?” Emilie commented, setting her bag down on the table.

Sergio shook his head. “You’re letting me stay in your home. Shouldn’t we at least exchange names or something?” he posed, slipping out of the seat with a stumble.

Emilie stepped up to his side and wrapped his arm around her shoulder again, allowing him to lean some of his weight on her. “My name is Emilie” she noted, helping him across the floor towards the stairs “Emilie Smith” she mused.

Sergio nodded his head. “Emilie’s a nice name” he mused, smiling to himself “How comes you never told me it before?” he added.

Emilie snorted. “We’re not exactly close, Sergio” she commented as she helped him up the steps, leading him towards the spare bedroom “I only know your name because my friend gets all giggly when she sees you” she added, knocking the door open.

“You have a friend?” Sergio posed, his words blunt and rude.

Emilie shook her head. “You think I am incapable of making them?” she muttered. She knew that he didn’t mean it, there was a good chance that the words had sounded far better in his head, but that didn’t mean she had missed the way they’d come out.

“What? No” Sergio spluttered, his cheeks warming a little in embarrassment “I didn’t mean for it to come out like that. I am sure that you have lovely friends” he rambled.

Emilie sighed. “Just get your head down for the night, Sergio” she noted, gesturing to the neatly made bed “You can stay for the night and then call a locksmith in the morning. I am sure that they will help you get back inside” she added.

Sergio peeked around the room briefly before he turned back to Emilie, flashing her a small apologetic grin. “I am sorry for putting you out like this” he mused “It’s not been a good night for me and losing my key just topped it off. You didn’t have to let me stay, but thank you” he mused.

Emilie nodded her head. “I couldn’t leave you out there, Sergio, and besides, what are neighbours for if you can’t crash in their spare room when you lose your key?” she posed, her blue eyes fixed on her hands which nervously fiddled ahead of her. Sergio watched them for a second before he guided his stare up to her face, noting the way she bit her lip.

“Are you alright, Emilie?” he posed.

“Fine” the ginger girl replied “It’s just not every day that I have people I don’t know here. You may have noticed, but new people are not exactly a forte of mine” she noted gently.

“I could go if you wanted me to” Sergio offered gently.

Emilie shook her head. “You should just go to sleep. I am sure you could use it” she dismissed with a small wave of her hand “The bathroom is down the hall, the second door on the right, and you are welcome to use anything in the kitchen, providing you don’t burn down the house” she added as she placed her hands in the pocket of her hoodie, stopping them from fiddling ahead of her “Can I get you anything else?” she offered.

Sergio smiled at her offer, but declined, shaking his head a little. “I…I should be fine from here. Gracias for this, Emilie” he smiled politely.

“It’s nothing” Emilie noted before she turned on her heels, quietly progressing across the hall towards her own room. Sergio watched her go before he quietly closed the door of the spare room, progressing over to the bed as he peeled his shirt away, setting it neatly over the back of the chair which sat in the corner.

Shuffling out his jeans, he sat down on the fluffy comforter and looked around the room, a small sigh falling out of his mouth. It was supposed to be a happy night, the happiest of his life, but with Pilar’s ‘no’ ringing in his ears and the engagement ring which he had thoughtfully picked out for her sitting in the pocket of the jacket that he had left in Emilie’s living room, he couldn’t quite bring himself to smile. He had thought that it would work, he’d thought he knew what Pilar wanted, but in the light of that night, he doubted he could have been more wrong. She didn’t want him and, with her expression still stuck in the forefront of his mind, he wondered if anyone would.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)