Would You Fall Too?

20: I Want To Tell You Something

“So, Sergio, Real Madrid?” Charlie quipped as he placed a mug of coffee ahead of the footballer, offering him a slightly dubious look. It had been a pleasant dinner, besides the odd look that Adelina and Charlie sent his way, Sergio had felt remarkably comfortable, and he was glad. If he had his way, he would be with Emilie for a little while and he knew that that would be made easier if her parents were alright with them. He didn’t want to drive a wedge between Emilie and her parents who undoubtedly had her best interests at heart.

“Yes, Sir” Sergio commented “It’s been that way for a while now. I’ve recently signed a new deal which will see me stay for a few more years yet” he explained.

“Didn’t I read about Manchester United?” Charlie posed, sipping on his own drink as he sat down in his armchair, his eyes fixed on the defender. If he was honest, Charlie liked Sergio, he was calm and easy-going and he knew that that was good for Emilie. After her last boyfriend, she needed someone who seemed to have little interest in pushing her into something she didn’t want to do and Sergio seemed to fit the bill, but still Charlie wanted to be a little cautious. He’d been less than cautious in the past and he didn’t want to make the same mistake again.

“The idea of my agent” Sergio commented “We flirted with Manchester United with the aim of getting me an improved deal with Madrid” he added.

“You’ve never thought about leaving?” Charlie pushed “About getting out of Spain?” he added.

“No” Sergio commented “I play for one of the top teams in the world, one who regularly challenges for domestic and continental honors and I am not ready to leave it behind. I love Madrid and I don’t intend to leave Emilie behind, which is what you’re getting at” he noted, offering him a slightly knowing look. He doubted that Charlie was interested in his career, from what he had seen of Emilie’s family, he doubted that any of them had any interest in football, but he wanted to put the older man’s mind at ease. He could see that they were protective, Emilie’s past clearly weighed on her mother and father, and he wanted to make sure that they knew that his intentions were good. He cared for Emilie and wanted to show it off to her parents who were clearly going to need time to trust him.

Charlie sighed. “I wasn’t subtle?” he posed.

“No” Sergio commented “But I understand” he added.

Charlie furrowed his brow. “Emmy told you about Jeremy?” he posed.

“No” Sergio replied “And in all honesty, I don’t want to know about Jeremy and what he did. Charlie, I understand your hesitancy about me and Emmy, but I just want you to know that I care for your daughter greatly and I don’t intend to hurt her. Everything we do, we do at Emmy’s pace and whilst I do get frustrated, I know that that is the best thing. I can see myself with her for a while yet” he enthused softly.

“You can?” Emilie’s voice squeaked, causing Sergio to peek up at the door way, a tender grin on his face.

“I can” he confirmed.

Emilie shook her head, something which made Charlie stand up, excusing himself from the room. “You should tell her” he mumbled as he walked past Sergio “She deserves to know” he added with a grin before he walked away. Sergio glanced after the older man before he stepped towards Emilie, placing his hands gently on her waist.

“You’re serious about us having a future?” Emilie mused as she placed her hands at the back of his neck.

“I can’t see why not” Sergio replied gently “I mean, I know it’s going to take some work and that it isn’t going to happen right away, but I can’t see a reason why you and I can’t make it work” he mused gently. He didn’t want to say it, things worked the way they were and he didn’t want to put pressure on it by insisting that they were headed towards marriage and babies, but it was a thought he had had. In his mind, he and Emilie had a future and he wanted her to know it. He knew she still sometimes doubted them and he wanted to reassure her that they were for keeps.

Emilie smiled gently. “For what it is worth, the last few months have easily been the best I’ve had in a while” she insisted.

“They’ve been pretty great” Sergio enthused “I’ve liked getting to know you” he added.

“And I have liked making a friend” Emilie replied.

Sergio nodded his head gently before he took a pace back, his fingers gently lacing through hers. “I want to tell you something, Emmy, and I don’t want you to freak out and run away from me, Ok?” he posed.

Emilie furrowed her forehead. “You’re not going to end this, are you?” she posed.

Sergio let out a laugh, shaking his head. “No, of course not” he insisted.

“Then why did you get so serious?” Emilie posed.

Sergio dropped one of her hands and reached up, tucking away some of her ginger hair from her face. “Because what I am about to say is pretty serious to me and I was trying to ensure that you weren’t going to freak out on me. Something you have a bit of a track record for” he replied, smiling at her gently.

Emilie smiled. “I promise, Sese, I won’t freak out” she vowed impishly.

Sergio returned her smile before he took a steadying breath, his dark eyes surveying her face. “Emmy, I…”

“I love you too” Emilie grinned, cutting him off.

Sergio’s expression slackened, a little amazed that she had gotten in before him.

Emilie giggled. “Did you really think I didn’t know what you were going to say?” she teased, gently pushing her fingertips through his hair “I overheard you say it to my papi when we arrived” she added.

“You did?” Sergio posed “Why didn’t you say?” he posed.

“Because I figured you’d say it when you were ready and I didn’t want to spoil the moment” Emilie mused “I love you” she grinned.

Sergio smiled back at her before he leant in, kissing her softly. “I love you too” he murmured, holding her close.