Would You Fall Too?

22: Treating You Right

“You Ok?” Isla mused as she stepped back towards her seat, handing Emilie a bottle of water. It had taken a little convincing, Isla had had to assure Emilie that they would be fine if they went to the game, but the blonde had to admit she was a little proud of her friend. Just a few months previous, she would never have envisaged Emilie in the stands surrounded by thousands of people, and she knew she owed a thank you to Sergio who was undoubtedly the cause. He had done a lot to bring Emilie out of her shell and Isla knew that she owed him. He’d been wonderful for her friend and she could only hope that Emilie continued to slowly change back to the girl she had been a few years previous.

Emilie nodded. “Madrid are pressing” she noted gently “They want the equalizer” she added. It had been a good match, Real Madrid had gone ahead early through Cristiano before Barcelona had pulled level, a rare set piece goal from Jeremy Mathieu and then gone ahead, Neymar netting with a free kick just after the hour.

Isla smiled. “You look really into this” she enthused, sipping at her own drink.

“It’s fascinating” Emilie commented, her blue eyes not moving away from the pitch “I can see in part why Sese would love it” she added.

Isla shook her head. “You two are adorable” she enthused.

Emilie’s cheeks warmed as she shook her head. “We’re OK” she commented shyly “I am sure you’d rather talk about you and Cristiano” she added, her eyes peeking back at her friend gently. She didn’t like it, her relationship with Sergio was private and she didn’t like talking about it, but she doubted that that would stop Isla. Her friend had a habit of talking until she was stopped.

Isla smiled. “He’s a nice guy and I think we might be onto something, but it’s early days. Sergio’s met your parents?” she posed.

“Isla” Emilie warned.

“I want to make sure that he’s treating you right, Em” she mused gently. She didn’t have many concerns, from what she had seen of Emilie and Sergio, they were remarkably sweet and good together, but she wanted to check. Emilie had made the mistake before, she had fallen head over heels for someone and gotten hurt, both physically and emotionally, and she didn’t want her friend hurt again. Emilie was finally starting to be like her old self and Isla would have hated for her to take a step backwards.

Emilie, who had turned back to the match, offered her friend a soft smile. “He’s the perfect gentleman, Isla” she mused gently “He’s thoughtful and patient and kind, and I really don’t think you have a thing to worry about, but if something happens, anything, you can rest assured that you’re the first person I am going to go to” she explained gently before the crowds let out a loud groan, causing her to turn her eyes back down to the pitch, watching as Luis Suarez sped away from the goal.

Emilie frowned softly and shook her head. She doubted that Sergio would be particularly talkative after the game.

~#~
“Can I get you anything, Sese?” Emilie posed as she stepped back into her living room, her blue eyes peeking at her boyfriend who sat on the couch, his dark eyes fixed on the match highlights which hummed along on the screen. He had been quiet, after the game, they’d gone out for a light dinner with Isla and Cristiano who had seemed far more buoyant than her boyfriend, but even then, Sergio hadn’t been particularly talkative. He’d said a little, made a few jokes here and there, but Emilie could see that he wasn’t quite right. The loss had hurt him and she didn’t want to push him.

Sergio shook his head.

“You know, it’s not that bad” Emilie noted gently “It’s still early in the season and it’s not like Barcelona are perfect” she added, recalling what Cristiano had said at dinner.

Sergio made a small noise.

“What’s bothering you so much?” Emilie posed carefully, sitting on the arm of the couch a little away from him.

Sergio shook his head. “It’s stupid” he muttered.

“It’s not” Emilie noted.

Sergio let out a small breath. “It was the first one” he murmured “I’ve captained the side before, even in the Clasico before, but this is the first one after I was given the role full time and I am upset that we lost it. It makes me wonder if I should have done something different. Iker used to rile us up, controlled aggression he used to call it, but it didn’t seem the same this time and that’s on me” he explained carefully.

Emilie sighed gently and slipped a little closer to him, her smaller hand gently taking his. “It’s one game” she murmured.

“A derby” Sergio spat out.

“So what? Just go and kick their ass on their turf” Emilie mused.

Sergio tilted his head. “Kick their ass?” he posed.

Emilie nodded.

“I have never heard the phrase ‘kick their ass’ any cuter than that” he enthused, a small laugh falling out of his mouth.

Emilie smiled. “That’s the sound I like to hear” she commented “No more pouting” she added.

Sergio shook his head and leant a little closer to her, stealing a quick kiss which Emilie was more than happy to return, liking the smile which had appeared on his face. Leaning a little closer, Sergio shifted his hands, quietly moving them up her hips until they rested at the hem of her Real Madrid shirt, his fingers flirting with the idea of slipping beneath it. They’d never really done anything, Emilie had always been quick to curtail any advance that he made, but he didn’t want to take things too far. Emilie was learning to trust him and that was something he didn’t want to undo. Debating it internally, he let one of his hands slip upwards slightly, brushing against the warm skin of her back.

Emilie startled a little at the contact, but didn’t move to get away from him, her hands instead working slowly and carefully at the buttons of his shirt.

“Emmy” Sergio muttered, his dark eyes peeking down at her. She didn’t look right, her hands shook slightly as she attempted to undo his shirt, and he knew that that was a sign to stop. He didn’t want her feeing as though they had to do it. “Nena, you don’t have to do that” he assured her softly.

Emilie sighed, shaking her head slightly. “I’m sorry” she murmured gently, her head dropped.

Sergio shook his head, one hand gently tilting her head back so that she looked at him. “We’re in no hurry here” he assured her softly.

“I know, but…”

“It’s fine” Sergio assured her gently.

“Are you sure?” Emilie posed “I mean, we’ve been together for months” she added.

“And I am ok with waiting” he assured her gently “Emmy, I am not just waiting on that. I like being around you” he insisted kindly.

Emilie spared him a shy look before she quirked a small smile. “You’re amazing” she enthused.

Sergio kissed her temple softly. “I’m glad you think so” he mused kindly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)