Would You Fall Too?

26: The Things I Should Have Said

“Sergio” Cristiano mused as he looked at the defender. He had been quiet, Sergio had barely said two words in the few hours that they had been back at training ahead of their match on New Year’s Eve and it worried the Portuguese man. He knew why he was quiet, after her visit to Emilie, Isla had been quick to inform him that the ginger girl had ended her relationship with the defender, but Cristiano wanted to make sure that he was alright. Madrid needed their captain focused on the two matches which would soon be upon them and not on the break-up of his relationship.

Sergio sighed. “I know” he muttered, moving to pull his training shirt over his head, tossing it into his bag “I will do a better job of being focused” he added.

Cristiano shook his head. “I am sorry about you and Emmy” he noted.

Sergio let out a small sigh. “You don’t have to apologize” he murmured, moving to pull his boots off of his feet.

“For what it is worth, Isla thinks Emmy regrets it” Cristiano shrugged “She said she didn’t seem herself, which for Emmy, is something quite odd” he added.

Sergio merely offered him a sharp shake of his head. He didn’t want to hear about Emilie.

“She asked Isla to get this to you” Cristiano commented as he moved towards his locker, returning seconds later with the neatly wrapped gift that Isla had given him that morning.

Sergio tilted his head, carefully taking the present of out Cristiano’s hand. “This is from Emmy?” he posed gently.

“She said she wanted it to get to you but didn’t want to do it herself. Isla gave it to me to give to you” the forward noted as he turned back to his own locker, preparing to get changed.

Sergio frowned a little at the present and padded back towards the bench ahead of his locker, carefully undoing the festive paper that had been wrapped around it, his dark eyes taking in the sight of new watch that Emilie had clearly bought specially. It looked expensive, something which made Sergio’s stomach ache a little. She had probably been saving up for it for a while. Staring it for a moment, he let a frustrated sound rumble out from the back of his throat, before he stuffed it down into his bag, quickly hauling the duffle bag onto his shoulder before he stormed out of the room, pulling the door closed with an audible thud.

Cristiano watched him go and shook his head, between him and Isla, they needed to do something about Emilie and Sergio.

~#~
Resting his head back against the headrest of his car, Sergio sighed a little, his dark eyes peeking over at Emilie’s house. He hadn’t seen her, ever since she’d called it quits, she had made a point of leaving her home when she knew he wouldn’t be around, and it bothered him. He hadn’t done anything wrong and to his mind, there was no need for her to be avoiding him like he had. She had promised that they wouldn’t go back to the way things had been before. Peeking over at her home, he let out another sigh before he pushed the car door open, making his way up towards his front door before he noticed hers slipping open.

“Emmy” he called.

Emilie, who had been trying to sneak out, lifted her head, her blue eyes wide and hesitant. “Sergio” she noted softly “What…What can I do for you?” she posed gently.

Sergio climbed over the fence between their two homes and stepped towards her. “I just wanted to see you” he noted softly “How are you?” he added.

Emilie stared at him for a moment before she nodded, forcing what he immediately knew was a fake smile. “I’m Ok” she insisted “You?” she added.

“Miserable” Sergio replied honestly “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about all of the things I should have said the other day when…”

“Sergio” Emilie interrupted, shaking her head softly “It’s done” she insisted.

Sergio sighed. “For you it might be, but me? I miss you, Emmy” he refuted gently.

Emilie shook her head again and moved to step past him. “I don’t want to do this right now, Sergio” she replied.

“Sese” he corrected “Your boyfriend” he added.

“My ex-boyfriend” Emilie noted, her voice shaking a little “Sergio, I made myself clear the other day when I ended this. It’s better this way for both of us. You can move on, find someone who will be what you need, and I can stop worrying about getting hurt which is all I could think about when I was with you. You’re a wonderful guy, the best I have ever met, and I know that out there, there is someone who can give you everything you deserve” she explained.

“But I want you” Sergio replied, stepping towards her to close the gap.

“You’re just saying that” Emilie refuted gently.

“Emilie…”

“I have to go to work, Sergio” she interrupted timidly “I…I want to say thank you for the lovely Christmas presents” she added, offering him a light smile.

Sergio shook his head. He hated that he hadn’t been there to see her face when she opened them.

“The book in particular was lovely. You didn’t have to go through all of that effort for me” she babbled before she leant into his, pressing a brisk kiss against his cheek “Thank you, Sergio” she murmured before she moved to step away from him.

Sergio’s reactions, however, were quicker and his hand wrapped around her wrist, pulling her into a warm kiss that she couldn’t help but melt into a little. It was warm, familiar and safe, and she was sure that that was what she was going to miss the most. Even despite her efforts to keep him at an arm’s length, he had always made her feel safe and comfortable. “Sergio” she murmured as she pulled away from him.

“I miss you” he insisted gently.

Emilie shook her head gently and loosened his grip on her, allowing her to walk away from him.

Sergio shook his head. He just wanted to fix things between them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)