Would You Fall Too?

33: Once Was Too Many Times

“How did the birthday present go?” Isla mused as she sat on the counter of Emilie’s kitchen, her blue eyes looking at the ginger girl who was preparing them a light lunch. It had been a couple of days since Sergio’s birthday party, and Isla had to admit she was a little curious. Sergio was the first man in a long time that Emilie had felt comfortable around and Isla hoped that what had happened between the two of them hadn’t changed that. Sergio was good for Emilie and from the way Cristiano spoke, Emilie was good for him too.

Emilie, who had been stirring a pot of pasta, spluttered a little, her cheeks warming. “You need to know that?” she posed.

Isla shrugged. “I don’t need to know” she commented “But I’d like to. I don’t want to have to pick up the pieces for you again” she added, her voice edged slightly with concern.

Emilie shook her head. “You don’t have to worry about that, Isla” she mused, testing the pasta “If our relationship breaks down, it’s on me and Sergio to fix it, not you. Besides, if it falls apart again, I think that that would be it. Once was too many times” she noted gently.

Isla shook her head. “Don’t be so negative” she encouraged “You and Sergio work and there is no reason why you can’t keep working for years, Emmy. I’ve seen the way he looks at you and I know you look at him the same way” she added.

Emilie smiled. “I’d like to think we could keep things going for a while yet. After the other night, I am surer of us than ever and I have to admit, you were right to push me to talk to him at New Years. I’d never have done it otherwise, so thank you” she smiled.

“The other night was…”

“Spectacular” Emilie finished for her, sparing a shy grin.

Isla lifted an eyebrow.

“I can’t think of another way to describe it. It was spectacular and the morning after was even better. I felt a little shy, but he was amazing, Lala” Emilie enthused.

Isla smiled. “I can’t believe you’re so excited over a guy” she teased, moving to collect two bowls from the cupboard, settling them on the counter “I thought that those days were gone” she added.

Emilie swallowed, her blue eyes offering Isla a slightly warning look.

Isla shook her head. “I am just excited for you, Emmy” Isla defended, waving her hands gently “I like the way you are with Sergio, you’re cheerful and bright, and I missed that side of you. Jeremy left you a mess and I am glad that you’re letting Sergio put you back together again” she added gently.

Emilie peeked at her friend, her eyes a little wide at the mention of her former boyfriend.

“Sergio knows about Jeremy, doesn’t he?” Isla posed.

“He says he figured out what happened a while ago, but I’ve never told him properly. I don’t like saying it, Lala” she noted gently.

“You’ll get there” Isla assured her softly “Just…when it gets on top of you, don’t cut Sergio out. He just wants to help” she added gently.

Emilie nodded her head. “I won’t” she noted as she moved to carry the pot of pasta over to the counter, dishing it up into the two bowls.

Isla watched her carefully and smiled. She hoped that she and Sergio could keep it together.

~#~
“How was lunch with Isla?” Sergio noted as he squeezed Emilie’s hand, leading her towards the park that they’d visited when they’d first met.

“It was fine” Emilie noted as she took skittered steps, trying to keep up with his longer stride “She was insistent about asking about the other night though. I could have done without that” she noted gently.

Sergio smirked. “You told her how awesome I was, didn’t you?” he teased.

“Not in those words” Emilie replied shyly “But I was very complimentary” she added.

Sergio tugged on her arm and pulled her closer, his arm wrapping around her waist. “I bet you were” he teased “I have a distinct memory of you screaming my name more than once” he muttered, kissing the spot just below her ear. Emilie’s cheeks warmed a little, her mind briefly flashing back to that night, before she swatted for him, lightly hitting the back of his head which made him laugh.

“Have I mentioned how much I like the more confident you?” he posed, moving back to holding her hand.

“You didn’t like me before?” she posed.

Sergio shook his head. “Of course I did. I kind of liked that you were so shy and timid, but this confident side of you, it’s amazing how far you’ve come in the last few months, Emmy” he noted gently.

Emilie smiled. “I kind of like it too” she admitted “I grew tired of being that nervous and shy girl” she added.

“I am glad that I could have helped you” Sergio smiled, his thumb brushing over her hand.

“I’m a little glad that Pilar turned you down. If not for that, I wouldn’t have met you properly” she enthused.

Sergio chuckled. “You’re glad I got rejected?” he teased.

“And that you lost your door key” Emilie mused, playing along cheerfully.

Sergio shook his head and dropped her hand once more, instead moving his larger extremity to her cheek as they came to a stop. “I love you” he mused, his dark eyes staring into her blues.

Emilie’s stomach still flipped. She doubted she could ever be fully used to him saying it to her. “I love you” she smiled.

Sergio shook his head and pressed a kiss to her lips, his mind already wandering to a future. He knew he couldn’t rush her, even if she had become slightly more confident, he didn’t want to put too much on her too soon, but the more time he spent with her, the more he wanted to take steps forwards. He merely knew that he had to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo, Jayme112234 and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)