Would You Fall Too?

34: Only When It Comes To You

“You’re getting old” Sergio mumbled into Emilie’s ear as he slipped his arms around her waist, pulling her close. It was early, normally too early for the defender who had a preference for sleeping in, but he couldn’t resist. Emilie had always been an early riser, even after the first night she had slept in his bed, and he wanted to spend as much time with her as he could before she headed off to work. It wasn’t every day that his girlfriend turned 25 and he wanted to make a bit of a fuss, regardless of how many times Emilie told him not to. He wasn’t going to let the day slip by without notice.

Emilie, who had been flicking through her latest novel, jumped, a small squeal falling out of her mouth that served to make Sergio chuckle. “You can’t really talk. You’re 30” Emilie grumbled.

Sergio smiled brightly. “I’m teasing, nena” he mused softly as he pressed a kiss to the side of her face “Feliz cumpleaños” he added.

Emilie shook her head. “You’re not going to make some massive fuss out of this, are you?” she posed, turning a little in her seat so that she looked up at him. She didn’t want fuss, Emilie had never liked being the centre of attention, and she wanted his word that he wasn’t going to go overboard. She merely wanted something which was quiet and calm.

“You’ve made me promise like twenty times” Sergio quipped as he moved away from her, moving to pour himself some juice “It’s not going to be over the top and no one is going to make a massive fuss, I promise you” he assured her.

Emilie nodded. “Good” she noted as she finished up her mug of tea “I’m going to grab a shower before work. Will I see you for lunch?” she posed, moving to place her cup in the sink.

“You can’t stick around for a second?” Sergio posed “I have something I want to give to you” he added.

Emilie frowned. She’d told him more than once that she didn’t want anything from him for her birthday.

Stepping into the living room, he located a lilac envelope and extended it to her, offering her an encouraging smile.

“Sese” she murmured.

“It’s nothing stupid, I promise” Sergio grinned “Just open it” he added, nudging her hand with his.

Emilie offered him a dubious look and tore the envelope open, slipping the pretty birthday card out of it before she opened it, allowing the small piece of paper that was inside to fall to the floor. Crouching down, she collected it and tilted her head “You got me an appointment card?” she posed.

“With a tattoo artist I know” Sergio commented as he stepped towards her “You’re always saying that you’d like another one done and this guy does them well. He’s done more than one of mine” he smiled.

Emilie stared at the piece of paper for a moment, a little bowled over that he had remembered that she talked about getting another tattoo, before she shook her head. “You do listen” she mused, a small teasing smile on her face.

Sergio rolled his eyes. “Of course” he mused “Besides, I wanted to get you something you actually wanted. It’s not for a couple of weeks yet so you can come up with what exactly it is you want” he explained.

Emilie smiled gently and pushed herself up onto her toes, kissing him gently. “Gracias” she murmured as she stepped away from him.

Sergio shook his head and pulled her close, kissing her again as he mumbled another ‘happy birthday’.

~#~
“Sese, is there a particular reason why you’re covering my eyes?” Emilie muttered as she fiddled with the tie which Sergio had placed around her eyes.

“So it is a surprise” Sergio replied “Isla said you’d make it hard” he added.

“You’ve been speaking to Isla?” Emilie returned.

Sergio chuckled. “No one knows you better than her. I wanted to make sure that what I had planned wasn’t stupid” he noted as he moved ahead of her, carefully tugging on her hands until he had her stood in the perfect spot. He hadn’t wanted to go overboard, as soon as he had learned that her birthday was close, she had warned him about how much she hated fuss, but he wanted to do something. She’d made his birthday one he wasn’t going to forget for a while and he wanted to do something for her in return.

Dropping her hands, he moved his hands to the tie around her eyes and carefully slipped it up, allowing her bright blue eyes to stare into his for a second before he stepped aside, something which made Emilie let out a small sound. “Sese” she murmured.

“Isla did all the work whilst I was out” Sergio noted, his hand scratching the back of his neck “I just bought the DVDs and the takeout” he added, gesturing to the coffee table whilst had been loaded up with Emilie’s favourite foods and a boxset of her favourite films.

Emilie smiled a little at the scene ahead of her, more than a little touched by the effort he had gone to. “You’re a sweetheart, aren’t you?” she teased.

Sergio shook his head. “Only when it comes to you” he muttered.

Emilie smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek, moving to kick off her shoes before she settled on the pillows that had been spread out around her living room. Sergio followed her lead and sat beside her, his arm comfortably sitting around her waist whilst her head rested on his chest. “You didn’t have to do this” Emilie noted as he started up the first film.

“You’re my girlfriend, I couldn’t do nothing for you birthday” he returned, his hand gently rubbing against her stomach.

Emilie shook her head. “I didn’t do much for yours” she noted.

Sergio chuckled. “You did more than this for me, Emmy” he mused with a small smirk on his face.

Emilie’s cheeks warmed before the doorbell rang, causing her to let out a small sigh. “I’ll be right back” she murmured as she pushed herself up, making her way out into the hall where she pulled the door open, her blue eyes widening at the sight of the woman who stood on the other side of it.

“Mrs Hernandez” she squeaked, her throat dry.

The older woman shifted a little before she outstretched her hand, holding out the two birthday cards to Emilie who’s breathing had started to race. “One’s from me” Mrs Hernandez noted “And the other is from my Jeremy” she added.