Would You Fall Too?

37: I Want You To Feel Safe

“You’re moving in with him?” Isla squeaked as she looked at Emilie, her blue eyes wide in surprise. She was shocked, a small part of Isla had thought that she and Cristiano would take that step before Emilie and Sergio, but she had to admit that she was pleased for the ginger girl. It was a big deal, even more so for Emilie who had been so cut off before she and Sergio had met, and Isla was happy for her. Emilie deserved someone like Sergio who always seemed so willing to look out for her.

Emilie, who had started to organize her clothes, nodded. “Slowly” she noted “There’s no rush on it” she added.

Isla shook her head. “You’re serious?” she posed.

Emilie nodded her head. “He asked me the other night and I agreed. Do you think I am making a mistake?” she posed, her blue eyes peeking up at her friend timidly. She knew that it was a big deal, any step she took with Sergio seemed huge to her, but she felt good about it, she had done since he had asked.

Isla shook her head. “Not at all” she insisted as she moved to collect one of the flat cardboard boxes which Emilie had piled up beside the door “I am just a little surprised is all. You had reservations about sleeping in his bed not too long ago and you announcing that you’re moving in together has come as a bit of a surprise” she noted.

Emilie shrugged. “It seemed like the right thing” she mused “After Jeremy’s mother showed up…”

“Jeremy’s mother showed up?” Isla interrupted, her blue eyes wide.

Emilie swallowed but nodded her head. “She came over the other night to give me a birthday card from her and Jeremy” she admitted softly “I freaked out and Sergio calmed me down” she added.

“Did you tell him?” Isla posed.

Emilie nodded her head. “I didn’t have much of a choice. I freaked out on him and he didn’t deserve me trying to push him away again. I told him what happened” she mused.

“How’d he take that?” Isla posed as she moved to place some of Emilie’s clothes into a box.

“He was brilliant” Emilie noted with a fond smile “Seriously, Lala, he was amazing” she added.

Isla shook her head, a fond grin on her face. “You really did get lucky when you stumbled across him, didn’t you?” she teased gently.

Emilie nodded. “Unbelievably” she enthused.

Isla spared her another smile before she let out a small sigh. “You don’t think that Jeremy…”

“Isla” Emilie murmured. She knew what she was going to say, it was a question that had been on Emilie’s mind since Jeremy’s mother had appeared at her home, but she didn’t want to think about it. The mere idea that Jeremy could show up sent chills down her spine.

Isla sighed. “It’s why Sergio wants you to move in, isn’t it?” she posed.

Emilie shook her head. “It’s the next logical step, Lala” she protested gently “We’ve been together for a while now and things are good. It seemed like a good idea” she added.

Isla spared her a small look and nodded her head. “Alright” she conceded gently “I am happy for you, Emmy, I really do think you and Sergio are good together” she smiled.

Emilie returned her smile gently before she turned back to the piles of clothes which sat around her, a small sigh falling out of her mouth. She knew that Isla had a point, Sergio’s invitation to move in with him did seem to tie in with Jeremy’s specter looming over her again, but she didn’t want to think of it that way. She didn’t want to think about her former boyfriend at all.

~#~
“This is slowly moving in?” Sergio teased as he stepped into his bedroom, his dark eyes looking around the room which appeared to be filled with boxes. He was pleased that things were moving along, after he had asked Emilie she wanted to live with him, a small part of him hoped that it would be a quick process, and he was pleased to see that she was gradually moving in. He wanted to be able to keep an eye on her.

Emilie, who was sat on the end of his bed, smiled. “These are just my clothes” she noted “I haven’t even looked at my books yet” she added.

Sergio smiled and stepped towards her, pressing a kiss to her head. “We’ll find room for it” he assured her gently “How did Isla take the news?” he posed.

“She seemed quite excited” Emilie replied “She was a little hesitant after I told her about Jeremy’s attempt to make contact. She seemed to think that the only reason that you wanted me here was to keep an eye on me” she noted.

Sergio, who had sat down beside her, shrugged. “I do want to keep an eye on you, Emmy” he murmured “I don’t want to let that guy anywhere near you, but it’s not the only reason I want you here. I like it when you’re around, Emmy, I like sharing my bed with you, and I want to do that for a while to come yet. If you’re having second thoughts….”

“I’m not” Emilie assured him gently “I just…Jeremy’s not your problem, Sese, and I don’t want you thinking that he is” she added, her blue eyes peeking up at him shyly.

Sergio sighed. “I don’t want you to get hurt or upset, Emmy” he murmured gently, his hand moved to take hers “I want to be able to look after you and I would feel better about doing that if you were here with me. I just want to make sure that you’re safe, Emmy” he assured her.

Emilie shook her head. “You don’t have to” she murmured “I can…”

“I want to” Sergio interrupted “Emilie, I want to be the guy who looks out for you and protects you. Do you not want me to do that?” he posed gently.

Emilie studied his face, noting his earnest expression before she nodded. “Of course” she murmured “I just don’t want there to be trouble. I think we’re both aware that the birthday card was just the start and I don’t want you to do something stupid” she noted gently,

Sergio nodded his head and pressed a kiss to her temple, mumbling that he would behave himself.

Emilie held onto him and sighed. She could only hope that Jeremy would keep his distance.