Would You Fall Too?

38: Look After You

“You know, you didn’t have to give me a lift in” Emilie noted as she unlocked the front door of the bookstore, her blue eyes glancing back to Sergio who followed along behind her. It had been a little while, a few weeks had passed since Emilie had started to move her things in with Sergio, and despite the nerves which existed in her stomach, Emilie doubted that things could have been better. They were comfortable, for the first time in a long time, Emilie felt almost entirely at ease with the defender, and she was excited by the prospect of being with him for a while. It wasn’t something she had thought would happen after Jeremy, and she certainly hadn’t thought it would occur with the man who she’d gone out of her way to hide from.

“I know” Sergio quipped “But I don’t have training until lunch time and I was counting on being allowed to hang out here all morning” he added.

“You don’t have anything better to be doing?” Emilie posed as she placed her bag onto the counter.

“No” Sergio replied “Besides, I like bothering you” he grinned.

Emilie rolled her eyes and padded back towards him, her hands reaching for his. She thought it was sweet of him, since she had told him about her ex-boyfriend, Sergio had been reluctant to leave her alone, but Emilie needed him to, if only for a little while. They spent nearly every waking moment together and as sweet as she thought it was, she was starting to get a little irked. She loved him, but she didn’t need him to watch over her constantly. “Sese” she noted gently “You know that you don’t have to spend every second around me, don’t you?” she posed, her teeth nibbling on the soft skin of her lip.

Sergio sighed. “Emmy…”

“I know you’re worried” she interrupted softly “And I am too, but sweetheart, you can’t spend every second hanging around me like this. I appreciate the thought, but I need you to back off a little” she added softly, trying not to hurt his feelings.

Sergio shook his head. “I don’t mean to be overbearing” he noted “I just…What if he shows up?” he posed, his dark eyes peeking at her tentatively. He didn’t want to worry her, it was clear that the birthday card had had an effect on her, but he simply couldn’t shake the thought of Jeremy showing his face, nor the idea that he could appear around Emilie when Sergio wasn’t.

“Sese” Emilie warned.

“I know it’s not something you want to talk about, Emmy, but it is something that could happen and I don’t want you to be alone should he appear. I haven’t meant to upset you, but I just hate the idea of not being there” he noted gently.

Emilie peeked up at him for a moment before she slipped one hand to his cheek, brushing it softly. “We don’t know that he will show up” she noted gently “And I can’t handle having you around me every second of the day. I love you, Sese, you know that I do, but I am going to go crazy if you don’t back off just a little bit” she explained carefully. She didn’t want to seem ungrateful, he was only doing what he thought was best, but she needed to calm him down. As they stood, Jeremy’s reappearance was only a threat and she doubted that she could hack a lot more of Sergio’s hovering.

Sergio looked at the ginger girl for a moment before he sighed, pushing a hand back through his hair. “Alright” he conceded gently.

“I love that you want to look out for me, Sese” Emilie insisted “You make me feel more than protected, but I think we could handle being apart for a little longer” she explained softly.

“I didn’t realize that I was being so overprotective” he murmured gently “I would just hate it if anything happened, Emmy” he added.

“I’ll be fine” Emilie smiled softly “I’m a big girl, Sese” she added.

“I know that” Sergio replied “And I know that nowadays, you’d probably be Ok to handle yourself, but I saw that look on your face when that woman showed up on your birthday, Em. You looked so scared, like you’d seen a ghost, and I have no intentions of ever seeing that expression on your face again. I promised your papa and Isla that I would look out for you and I am going to do just that” he insisted.

Emilie smiled. “I love that you want to look after me” she insisted.

“You just don’t love me not leaving your side other than when I have to go to training” Sergio finished for her.

Emilie spared him a bashful smile and nodded shyly. “I’m not something you need to watch” she insisted.

Sergio nodded his head slowly. “Alright” he conceded “I will go and find someone else to annoy this morning, but I will see you at home tonight?” he posed.

Emilie nodded her head. “Of course” she agreed “I’ll bring home dinner” she added.

Sergio flashed her a small smile before he ducked down, pressing his lips to hers. He knew that she had a point, after her birthday, he had been a little more protective of her, but he merely wanted to make sure that he was doing a good job of it. People trusted him with her, both Charlie and Isla had put a lot of faith in him to protect Emilie as well as to make her happy, and he merely didn’t want to let them down. To his mind, with Isla busy with Cristiano and Charlie more than a two hour drive away, it was his job to look after her and he wanted to make sure that he did it well, especially since there was a chance that Jeremy was going to make a reappearance.

“Sese” Emilie murmured as she pulled away from him slightly.

“I’m going” he teased as he pecked her lips a couple more times “Adios, Emmy” he grinned.

Emilie shook her head and spared him a little smile, glad that they’d talked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)