Would You Fall Too?

43: Did She Say Yes?

“You know, Isla’s going to kill you” Emilie mused as she craned her neck, her blue eyes peeking at Sergio whose lap she sat on. It had been a quiet few minutes, with Emilie’s ‘yes’ still hanging in the air, neither of them had wanted to move, and both were grateful for the fact that the team were still busy out on the pitch. It had afforded them a few quiet minutes to let the news sink in.

“Hm” Sergio hummed “Why’s that?” he posed as he placed a kiss to her neck, reluctant to let her go.

“Cristiano asked her to move in with him and Junior” Emilie noted “She was really excited and now she’s going to be pissed at you because you stole her thunder” she teased.

“I think I’ll be able to handle her” Sergio noted gently “Besides, no amount of her pouting is going to change the fact that you said yes” he added, offering her a bashful smile. It hadn’t quite sunk in, the idea that Emilie had actually said yes, but that didn’t mean he didn’t want to say it. Since she had given him the yes he’d been looking for, he’d taken to repeating it over and over again, hoping that eventually it would settle in.

Emilie giggled, resting her head against his. “I can’t quite believe that you thought the Real Madrid locker room was the perfect place to propose” she teased gently.

“I wanted to do it on the pitch after we got the trophy” Sergio admitted gently “But then I thought about how much you’d have hated being in front of thousands of strangers who’d all be putting pressure on you to say yes, so I figured, I should do it privately and the only time I could see us being alone was now. I could do it again somewhere more romantic if you’d like” he noted.

Emilie shook her head. “I kind of like it” she admitted gently “It’ll be a story to tell” she added.

Sergio smiled and kissed the side of her face, working his way carefully towards her lips. “I can’t quite believe that you said yes yet” he murmured.

“You thought I’d say no?” Emilie posed, leaning into him a little more.

“I thought I’d scare you off” Sergio admitted gently “I mean, we’ve done everything else at a more cautious pace and getting engaged after 11 months is a pretty big step. I figured that you’d be a little more hesitant than you were” he noted gently. It was a big step for them, marriage wasn’t even a topic that they’d really talked to one another about, and Sergio had been more than a little nervous that Emilie would say no. They’d taken everything else at walking pace and he’d worried that she wouldn’t be prepared to run into an engagement. He had rather sprung it on her.

Emilie listened to him quietly for a moment before she kissed the side of his face. “It was a surprise” she noted gently “And I am not going to pretend that I am not shocked, but when you looked up at me, I just couldn’t say no” she admitted “As hard as I make it, I do love you and I do want to start looking ahead as opposed to backwards” she noted softly.

Sergio smiled. “I love you too” he grinned.

Emilie returned his smile and ducked into kiss him, stopping just as the door to the locker room swung open, allowing a few of the team to fall inside.

“Captain” Marcelo grinned “We were wondering where you’d gotten to” he added.

Sergio offered Emilie a little look before he carefully shuffled her off of his lap, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. “I’ll be back with you in a little while. You should go and find Isla” he muttered.

Emilie nodded her head and stole a quick kiss, something which earned hoots and whistles from the team who were filing back into the room.

Sergio watched her out of the door before he moved back towards his locker, moving to pull off his shirt.

“You’re really not going to say anything?” Cristiano posed, his stare directed at the Spaniard’s back.

“About what?” Sergio replied without turning around.

“You and Emmy ducked away pretty quick” Gareth contributed “You came in here for a reason” he added.

“So what if we did?” Sergio teased, still not turning to face the team who he knew were all staring at him.

“You already live together” Pepe noted.

“And I doubt she would have told you before Isla if she was pregnant” Cristiano contributed.

Sergio shook his head a little. “She’d tell me before she told Isla if she was pregnant” he refuted.

“You say that” Cristiano teased “But I know my girlfriend knows more about your girlfriend than you do. Isla knows every little thing about that girl” he grinned.

Sergio shook his head, turning back to getting changed.

“Hey, Captain” Gareth noted as he stepped across the room slightly, his hand seizing the small box which sat on the floor.

“What?” Sergio posed, moving to sit down so that he could remove his boots.

“Did she say yes?” the Welshman teased.

Sergio looked up, his dark eyes wide as he stared at the Welshman. He knew that it was going to get out quickly, as soon as Isla spotted the ring which Emilie wore, she would tell Cristiano and the news would be everywhere before the night was out, but as he stared at Gareth, he couldn’t quite come up with a response. He had figured that he would confirm it with Emilie beside him.

“She must have done” Cristiano noted “You saw the kiss she gave him when he left” he added with a little shrug.

Sergio offered him a look before he let out a small breath. “She said yes” he confirmed, a small grin tugging at the corner of his mouth.

The team looked at one another before a few cheers echoed, something which made Sergio’s grin widen as they all began to pat his back. He knew that it wasn’t going to be a quick thing, just one look at Emilie told him that their engagement was going to be a long one, but he was more than happy to wait for it. Being patient had become a big part of his life since he had met her and he wasn’t going to start rushing through things just because they were engaged. There was absolutely no harm in taking their time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)