Would You Fall Too?

44: I Trust Your Judgement

“You sure that you’re going to be ok with this?” Sergio posed from his spot on the couch, his dark eyes looking up at Emilie who stood beside the window, peeking out. He could tell that she was a little unsure, ever since he had mentioned the notion of his parents paying a visit before he left for the European Championships in France, she had been a little on edge, and he wanted to make sure that she was alright with it. The last thing he wanted was a repeat of their first encounter which had seen Emilie run off and end their relationship.

“You have to tell them sometime” Emilie noted gently, peeking over her shoulder at him slightly. She didn’t like it, she was acutely aware that his family were not her biggest fans, but she knew that they had to tell them eventually. They’d already been to see her parents who had greeted the news with open arms and she couldn’t ask him to deal with his parents alone. She was going to be married to their son and couldn’t avoid them for the rest of her life.

“I know I do” Sergio noted “But if you’d like, I could do it by myself. I know you’re concerned about seeing them again” he added as he stood up, carefully placing his arms around her. He knew that it wasn’t going to be comfortable, his mother in particular was going to be a little hard to handle, and Sergio didn’t want to put Emilie through it. He knew that she still had doubts about him, about their relationship, and the last thing he wanted was his mother getting into her head and convincing her that Sergio would find someone else.

“They’re going to be in-laws” Emilie noted, peeking up at him.

“Not for a while yet” Sergio countered “And, if you’d prefer, we could do this in stages. You could spend time with Mirian and Rene before my parents” he suggested.

Emilie smiled, a little touched that he was attempting to look out for her. “I’ll be fine” she noted softly.

“You said that last time, Emmy” Sergio reasoned “I just don’t want a repeat” he added, pressing a kiss to the side of her head.

Emilie rested back against him for a second before she shook her head. “It was a mistake last time, I let things get the better of me, but I am better, Sese” she insisted gently.

“I don’t want you stressed” Sergio replied “I hate seeing how upset you can get” he added.

Emilie opened her mouth to speak again, but was cut off as the doorbell echoed, something which caused Sergio to drop another kiss onto her head. “If you want to run” he offered as he stepped out into the hall, returning moments later with his mother and father following along behind him. “Mama, papa, you remember Emmy, right?” he posed.

Paqui, who stood alongside her son, nodded. “Of course” she noted curtly.

“It’s nice to see you again, Emmy” Jose Maria noted “It’s been a while” he added, offering his hand out.

Emilie shook his hand, offering him a light smile. “It’s nice to see you too, Senor Ramos” she noted.

“Jose, please” the older man grinned.

“Jose” Emilie replied “Why don’t you both come through? I’ve made lunch” she added, gesturing towards the dining room.

Jose flashed her a pleasant smile before he led her towards the dining room, leaving Sergio with his mother who shook her head. “You’re still spending your time with her?” she posed.

“Mama” Sergio warned.

“I am just saying. You have so much to offer, Sergio, you’re such a wonderful man, and if you just looked a little harder…”

“I’d not find someone like her” Sergio interrupted softly.

“You deserve the best” Paqui insisted “And I feel as though you could do a lot better than her” she added gently.

Sergio offered a tentative look towards the dining room before he ushered his mother towards the hall, his dark eyes peeking down at her. “I know you don’t like her” he muttered “You made that very clear at Christmas with the way you behaved towards her, but madre, that is the woman I want to spend my life with. I know she’s not what you pictured for me, she’s not exactly what I pictured either, but I couldn’t have imagined anyone better for me than her. I love this woman, mama, Emmy and I have something that I am more than a little proud of, and I would like for you to make an effort with her. She’s not going to go anywhere and I want you to at least try and get to know her. Once she gets over the nerves, she an amazing woman” he insisted.

Paqui offered him a slightly dubious look. “What about Pilar?” she posed.

“She made her mind up about me a long time ago” Sergio returned “Mama, I don’t want to be with a woman who doesn’t love me, I want to be with Emmy and that’s why I asked her to marry me” he admitted carefully.

Paqui blinked. “You…”

“I proposed to Emilie and Emilie said yes. I’m going to marry her, mama” he insisted.

Paqui studied him for a moment, not missing the slight spark which appeared in his eyes as he spoke of the ginger girl. He clearly cared about her, his voice was firm and his expression passionate, and Paqui doubted she was going to change his mind easily. He was smitten with the ginger girl and her meddling was only going to make him more determined to make things work with her. “You’re engaged?” she posed.

“We have been for about a week” Sergio noted.

Paqui nodded her head before she stepped towards her son, wrapping him in a warm hug. “I trust your judgement” she noted softly as she held onto him “I am sure that you know what you are doing” she added as she stepped away.

Sergio nodded his head. “I’ve never been more sure, mama” he insisted “Emmy is the woman for me” he grinned.

Paqui offered him the best smile she could muster before she followed him into the dining room, her eyes peeking over at Emilie who was chatting happily with Jose Maria. She didn’t like it, but she knew that she wasn’t going to change Sergio’s mind. The defender could be more than stubborn when he wanted to be and Paqui knew that pushing him would only make him more and more sure that he wanted to make things work with Emilie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo, Jayme112234 and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)