Would You Fall Too?

46: I’ll Get By

“You can’t be missing her that much already” Iker teased as he sat down beside Sergio at breakfast, stealing the phone out of the defender’s hand. It had only been a couple of days, Sergio had spent most of his time in Lyon working through training and listening to tactical talks, but most of his spare time was spent talking to Emilie, something which Iker couldn’t help but find slightly amusing.

It had surprised the keeper, when Sergio had explained that he was engaged, Iker had been more than a little dubious, but just one look at him when he was around Emilie made it clear just how smitten he was. It was quite the turn of events, when Iker had left for Portugal, Sergio had been preparing to propose to Pilar, but Iker had to admit he was happy for the defender. Emilie seemed like a far better fit for him and Iker was pleased to see his friend so happy.

“She likes talking to me” Sergio countered, trying to steal the phone back.

“Or you like talking to her” Iker teased, scrolling through the texts that Sergio had already exchanged with Emilie that morning “You texted her first” he added.

Sergio rolled his eyes. “I worry, Ok” he admitted.

“You’re still worried about the ex showing up?” the goalkeeper posed. He hadn’t gone into great detail, Sergio had been more than cagey when it came to talking about Emilie’s ex-boyfriend, but Iker knew it still played on the defender’s mind. He didn’t like leaving Emilie alone, it was all over his face, and Iker wanted to attempt to reassure him. With Isla and her parents keeping an eye on her, he was sure that Emilie would be fine.

Sergio sighed. “I don’t think he just gave up” he admitted “I think he’s just waiting for me to be away and the next month has given him a pretty decent shot” he added.

“You’ve got people keeping an eye on her” Iker noted “And you talk to her all of the time. Sergio, she’s going to be just fine without you” he noted reassuringly.

“You think?” Sergio posed, offering the older man a slightly dubious look.

“She’s tougher than you give her credit for” Iker grinned “And she’s texted you 3 times since I’ve had this. You should probably get back to her” he teased as he handed the phone back to the defender.

Sergio took it gratefully and quickly worked at texting Emilie back, something which made Iker shake his head. “I can’t believe how smitten you are” he teased, nudging the defender.

Sergio shook his head. “I can’t believe I missed her for as long as I did” he mused.

“The neighbour girl” Iker grinned “We had a pool going on how long it’d take you to notice that your neighbour was as sexy as Emmy” he teased.

Sergio offered the keeper a glare. He didn’t like for a second the idea that he, or any of his friends for that matter, had looked at Emilie the way he did.

Iker noticed the look on his face and spluttered out a laugh. “Your fiancée is a pretty girl, Sergio” he teased “We were all more than a little amazed that you didn’t pick up on it sooner” he added before the phone in Sergio’s hand buzzed, something which made him shake his head. “Call her” he noted before he stepped away.

Sergio spared a glare after his friend before he dialed Emilie’s familiar number, smiling a little as her voice snipped into his ears.

~#~
“I thought you’d make it til at least noon” Emilie teased as she held her phone to her ear, a smile pulling at her features. She wasn’t surprised, in the three days that had passed since Sergio had left, he’d called more than once a day, but she had to admit that she liked hearing from him. With the amount they spoke, it was almost like he’d not left.

“Excuse me for missing you” Sergio replied.

“I miss you too, but I don’t call every 3 hours” Emilie teased as she snuggled down into the couch, settling her book in her lap “What was it this time, did you smell my perfume on your shirt again?” she teased.

“Can’t a man just miss his girlfriend, Emmy?” Sergio countered.

Emilie giggled. “You’ve been gone for 3 days, Sese. How on earth are you going to cope for a month?” she posed.

“I’ll get by” Sergio noted “I just want to make sure you’re alright. Has Isla been by yet?” he posed.

Emilie rolled her eyes a little. “Not yet, and she’s not coming by today. I’m having a lazy day. I’ve got a book I want to finish, some films to enjoy, and a supply of oat and raisin cookies that I made yesterday. I’ll be fine” she insisted gently. She knew that he was only trying to look out for her, it was a side of Sergio that she liked immensely, but she didn’t see the need to check up on her all of the time. It wasn’t like she couldn’t look after herself.

Sergio let out a sigh.

“Sese, I am going to be fine” Emilie insisted with a soft laugh “I’m not some baby that you need to keep checking on” she added.

“You know why I am worried” he protested gently.

“I know, and I appreciate it, but I really am going to be fine by myself. I made a pretty good job of it before I stumbled across you” she countered gently.

Sergio made a small sound on the other end of the line.

“Sergio, I am going to be fine” she insisted softly “And the second I am not, I will call Isla, alright?” she posed.

“Alright” Sergio agreed gently “I’m sorry for being so…”

“So Sese” Emilie teased “It’s alright. I expect it” she added.

Sergio grumbled something on the other end of the line, something which made Emilie laugh. “Adios, Sese” she noted before she hung the phone up, settling it in the pocket of her jacket. She knew that he worried, he’d done it for as long as she’d known him, but she was pretty confident that she would be fine without people keeping an eye on her the entire time. She had done it before him, she’d been more than capable of coping alone before she’d met him, and she was sure that she would be fine now that they were together. She could handle herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)