Would You Fall Too?

47: Late Night Calls

Rolling onto her back, Emilie sighed a little, her blue eyes peeking up at the ceiling overhead. She knew that it was silly, Sergio had been gone for almost a week, but still she found sleeping without him a little difficult, something which irked her. She loved him, since they’d started to date, Emilie had become more and more happy, but she hated that she missed him so much. Before him, she had been more than capable of spending more than a few days alone in her home, and she didn’t like that she had struggled so much to be away from him. She didn’t want to become too dependent on him just for something to happen and would see them end their relationship more permanently than the week that they’d spent separated at Christmas.

Sighing, she pushed a hand back through her hair and sat up slightly, reaching for her phone which sat on the nightstand. She knew that it was a little silly, if she just tried hard enough, she was sure that she could fall asleep, but the idea of hearing Sergio’s voice was tantalizing. She’d not heard from him that day, he’d been stuck in training for most of it and in a team meeting for the majority of the evening, but she knew that he would still be up. Sergio tended to fall asleep late and lay in. Debating it for a second, Emilie took the phone in her hand and dialed his familiar number, waiting patiently for the sound of his voice.

“Emmy?” Sergio yawned.

“Did I wake you?” Emilie posed as she laid back down, nuzzling her head into his pillow which still carried the slightest hint of his aftershave.

“No” Sergio replied “I was about to drift off, but you might have pissed off Iker. He was out and the phone scared the life out of him” he teased.

“Tell him I’m sorry” Emilie replied, her voice wavering slightly.

“Are you alright, Emmy?” Sergio posed gently, his voice soft and concerned.

Emilie sighed. “I’m being silly” she murmured “I’ve been trying to fall asleep for an hour and I can’t. I figured…”

“I can talk to you until you fall asleep” Sergio interrupted, his tone one that let Emilie know that he was grinning on the other end of the line.

Emilie shook her head. “You don’t have to sound so smug about the fact that I am missing you” she noted gently.

“I’m not” Sergio replied, his voice softening a little “But I do kind of like the idea that you’re missing me. Whenever I call, you seem so calm and unfazed, I thought I was the only one having the problem” he added.

Emilie smiled. “You thought I didn’t miss you?” she posed, a small yawn falling out of her mouth.

“Not quite as much as I miss you” Sergio replied.

Emilie shook her head, moving to get a little more comfortable against the pillow. “Of course I do, Sese” she yawned out “I’ve gotten used to you being around and I kind of hate that you’re not right now, even if I do know that you have to do it, I want you back here” she admitted softly.

“I’ll be back soon, Emmy” he assured her softly.

“I know” Emilie replied “But there’s going to be a few nights like this. Is that going to be a problem?” she posed.

“Of course not” Sergio replied “I’m more than happy to talk to you, you know that” he added.

Emilie smiled softly for a second, listening to him as he rambled about how training had been, before the sound of a knock at the door caught her attention, causing her to sit up. “Sergio, I’m going to have to go” she murmured, carefully swinging her feet out of bed.

“Falling asleep already?” the defender teased, his voice heavy with a yawn.

“No” Emilie replied “There’s someone at the door” she added.

“It’s ten to midnight” Sergio pointed out “Who on earth could want to see you at ten to midnight?” he posed.

Emilie swallowed a little and stepped towards the bedroom door, quietly making her way down the stairs and into the hall.

“Emilie” Sergio called from the other end of the phone “Emilie, I want to stay on the line, Ok?” he posed.

Emilie made a little noise, signaling that she had heard him, before she stepped a little further into the hall, her hand settling shakily on the handle of the door.

“Emmy” Sergio noted “Can you see who it is?” he posed.

Emilie peeked up at the slightly translucent glass, her eyes tracing the outline of the man who stood on the doorstep. “I think we both know who it is, Sese” she murmured gently.

Sergio let out a small curse. “Don’t answer it” he noted.

“I don’t want to open it” Emilie squeaked, her blue eyes sparing the door another look “But what else am I supposed to do?” she posed.

“Ignore it, get back upstairs. Call Isla or your parents” Sergio noted “Just, Emmy, don’t open the door” he added.

Emilie let his words linger for a moment before she closed her eyes. “What if this puts a stop to it?” she posed.

“Emmy…”

“What if this is really all he wants? Maybe if I let him talk, he’ll get the hint” she noted.

“We both know that that is bull, Emmy” Sergio countered “And even if it was right, how do you expect to talk to him when the mere mention of him causes you to tear up. Ignore it, Emmy, go back to bed, and I will make sure that your parents are over as soon as they can be” he insisted gently.

Emilie sighed and sat down at the foot of the stairs, her blue eyes peeking up at the figure who still lurked on the other side of the door. She knew that Sergio was right, even if the only thing Jeremy wanted was to talk, there was little hope that she could do it alone, but she just wanted to be rid of him. What he’d put her through had left her in pieces and for the first time in a while, she felt put together again.

“Emmy?” Sergio posed, his voice soft and concerned.

“I need to get rid of him” Emilie murmured “I need to tell him to go” she added.

“Emmy…”

Emilie carefully hung up the phone, placing it into the pocket of her pajama bottoms before she carefully pulled back the door, her blue eyes peeking up at the familiar frame of her ex-boyfriend who smiled down at her. “Em” he greeted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 and Jayme112234 for the comments :)