Would You Fall Too?

48: Safe & Sound

“Emilie” Sergio spluttered as he held the phone close to his ear, trying his hardest to elicit a response from his girlfriend. He had seen it coming, Jeremy’s visit had almost been inevitable from the second that he had left Madrid for France, but he hated that there was nothing he could do, especially since Emilie had hung up the phone. He hated that she was on her own. Repeating her name once more, he pulled the phone away from his ear and stared at it, noting that she had ended the call before he tossed it onto the bed, something which drew Iker’s attention.

“Do you mind?” the goalkeeper muttered “Some of us would like to sleep before the gym session tomorrow” he added, pulling his duvet a little tighter around him.

Sergio merely ignored his comment, storming his way towards the safe which held their passports.

Iker watched him go and sat up, flicking on the bedside lamp. “What are you doing?” he noted.

“I need to get home” Sergio replied as he collected his smaller bag from underneath his bed, setting it on the mattress.

“You’re going to leave in the middle of the night?” Iker posed “Sergio, I don’t know what Emilie said on the phone…”

“He’s there” Sergio snapped, tossing a few essential into his bag.

“Who’s where?” the keeper posed.

Sergio offered him a glare before he swung his bag onto his shoulder, collecting his phone and passport from their spot on the mattress “I need to leave” he noted as he made a move towards the door.

Iker hesitated for a second before he jumped up, catching the defender by the arm. “You can’t just go, Sergio” he noted “Not without good reason, so why don’t you sit down and talk to me before you do something stupid?” he posed.

Sergio offered him a hesitant before he let out a sigh, following the keeper back towards his bed. “I think her ex-boyfriend is there, Iker” he noted gently, his expression softening.

Iker nodded slowly. “And you don’t think Emmy will be able to handle that by herself?” he posed.

Sergio shook his head. “She tears up at the mere mention of his name, Iker, I can’t imagine she’s going to handle being in the same room as him well. I can’t just leave her there and hope” he noted.

Iker ran a hand over his face and let out a small sigh. “I’ll talk to Del Bosque” he noted after a couple seconds of quiet “I’ll explain that you had a family emergency, but he’s not going to love this, Sergio” he noted softly. He knew that he couldn’t stop Sergio, as soon as he dropped his guard for a second, the defender was bound to make a move towards the door, but he wanted to make sure that he was slightly calmer than he had been when he had gotten off the phone. The last thing Emilie needed was a worked up Sergio storming back home, it was only likely to make whatever was going on even worse.

“I don’t care if he loves it, Iker” Sergio replied as he moved to pull on a jacket “I can’t just leave her there” he added.

Iker offered him a look before he sighed. “Go” he noted “I’ll find Del Bosque in the morning” he added.

Sergio nodded and vaulted back to his feet, swinging his bag over his shoulder. “Gracias, Iker” he noted as he stepped out of the door.

Iker watched him go and shook his head. He hoped that Sergio could fix whatever the issue was at home.

~#~
“You know, you really don’t have to looked so scared, Emmy” Jeremy commented as he stared down at his former girlfriend, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It had been years, Jeremy hadn’t seen Emilie for almost 4 years, and he couldn’t quite get over just how well she looked. If anything, she had grown more and more beautiful in the time that had passed since he’d last seen her.

Emilie merely shifted, her blue eyes fixed on her feet.

“I haven’t come here to hurt you, Emmy” Jeremy noted softly, ducking his head a little so that he looked at her “I just want to talk” he added.

“You can talk out here” Emilie murmured “I…I don’t want you to come inside” she added shakily.

Jeremy tilted his head a little, but nodded. He didn’t blame her for not wanting him to be too close. “Ok” he agreed “This is your place?” he posed.

Emilie shook her head. “My…Sergio’s” she noted.

Jeremy nodded his head slowly. “My madre mentioned another man” he noted “Engaged?” he posed, gesturing to the ring which was clearly visible on her finger.

Emilie nodded stiffly, still not offering him a look.

“Emilie…”

“All you had to do was stay away from me, Jeremy” the ginger girl interrupted, her voice trembling a little “All you had to do was keep away, and you can’t even do that. Don’t you get it?” she spluttered.

Jeremy sighed.

“You hurt me, Jeremy” Emilie murmured, her hand wiping underneath her eyes “You did things that left me in bits and you think it is Ok to show up here?” she added, offering him a hesitant look.

“Emmy…”

“I was done with you the second that you tried to do that to me, Jeremy. You weren’t my friend then, you certainly weren’t my boyfriend, and I am not ever going to forgive you for that, no matter how many times you or your madre show up trying to convince me that you didn’t mean it. You knew what you were doing and I never, ever want to feel that scared again” she spluttered.

Jeremy shook his head. “I never wanted to hurt you, Emmy” he murmured “I just…it was a mistake” he added.

Emilie sniffled, wiping her eyes on her sleeve once more. “You and I are done, Jeremy. I never want the misfortune of seeing you again” she muttered before she stepped back into the house, pushing the door closed with an audible thump before she rested back against it, crying quietly. It hadn’t been what she was expecting, for a brief second, Jeremy had appeared to be like the man she had first gotten with, but she knew better than to buy into it. Jeremy had over stepped the mark more than once and she wasn’t going to believe for a second that he had changed. He would never be the man she’d fallen for again.

~#~
Jogging up the path, Sergio wrestled the key out of his pocket, slipping it into the lock in one fluid motion. It was early, it could have barely been 3 in the morning, but Sergio hadn’t wasted any time in getting back. As soon as Emilie had hung up the phone, his mind was made up and no matter how hard Iker had tried, there was nothing that was going to convince him to stay. As far as he was concerned, Emilie needed him and he wasn’t just going to pretend that she didn’t.

Pushing the door back, he stepped into the hall and jogged quickly up the stairs, making a beeline for their bedroom where Emilie laid, her small frame huddled up beneath the covers as she slept on his pillow. Sighing a little in relief, he shrugged out of his jacket and stepped out of his jeans, moving to settle down beside her, something which made Emilie jump.

“It’s alright, Emmy” he mumbled softly.

Emilie blinked her blue eyes open slightly, staring up at him. “What are you…?”

“We’ll talk in the morning” Sergio interrupted “You should go back to sleep” he added.

Emilie stared at him for a moment before she nodded her head slowly, snuggling against him.

Sergio held onto her and kissed the side of her head, glad to see that she was safe and sound.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo, Hockeykid40 and Luuuc_19 for the comment :)