Would You Fall Too?

49: Have A Little Confidence

Stirring a little beneath the covers, Emilie blinked her blue eyes open, her stare landing on Sergio who laid at her side, flicking through the texts on his phone. It was a little late, after the night before, she had managed to sleep in a lot later than normal, but she was still a little surprised to see him beside her. A little part of her had thought that she had imagined him the night before when she fell asleep. Rubbing her eyes, she pushed her hair away from her face before she reached out her hand, tapping it against his shoulder. “You should be in Lyon” she mumbled, sparing a small yawn.

Sergio let out a little sigh at the feel of her hand and turned over to face her. “You opened the door” he countered.

Emilie shook her head. “I asked first” she muttered “Why are you here?” she posed.

“Why do you think I am here, Em? I had no idea what the heck was going on and I sure as hell wasn’t going to leave it to chance. When you hung up the phone, I had no choice. I had to come back and make sure that you were Ok” he insisted gently.

“Sese…”

“I wasn’t to know what was going on here, Emmy” her interjected softly “You hung up the phone and for all I knew, you were in trouble. I don’t care about the consequences, I wanted to be here” he insisted softly. He knew what was she going to say, she would insist that she was fine and that he should have stayed where he was, but Sergio wasn’t having it. He wanted to be there for her, regardless of where he was supposed to be, and he didn’t regret the decision to leave France for a second. Knowing she was safe meant more to him than anything.

Emilie studied his expression for a moment before she leant over, kissing him gently. “You’re amazing” she murmured.

“I had to make sure that you were Ok” Sergio mumbled.

“I’m fine” Emilie noted as she pushed her fingertips through his hair, trying to smooth it out a little.

“You still opened the door when I told you not to, Emmy” Sergio murmured, his fingertips brushing across her hip “He could have done anything to you” he added, his expression soft and concerned. He knew she was safe, she’d been safe and sound in bed when he’d gotten back, but it had still terrified him. She could have been in danger and he hated that she had ignored his advice. Anything could have happened to her.

“But he didn’t” Emilie countered “Sese, I’m fine” she insisted.

“You should have left it” the defender noted “Or, you should have kept me on the phone. Emilie, I was scared” he added, his dark eyes mirroring hers.

Emilie sighed. “I can look after myself, Sese” she insisted softly.

Sergio scoffed. “I’ve watched you fall apart at the slightest thing” he countered “You freaked out at one slight comment from my mother. Can you blame me for being a little unsure about how you’d handle the man who did that to you?” he added.

Emilie shook her head. “I handled it” she noted “I did that by myself and you need to get it out of your head that I can’t look after myself, Sese. I love that you care, and I love that you came back here to check on me, but you have to know that I can look out for myself. You need to get it out of your head that it is your job to fight all of my battles” she added softly. She knew it was just the way he was, he was protective and caring, and whilst she adored it about him, she needed him to calm down a little.

“It is my job, Emmy” Sergio countered “I am just trying to make sure that you’re ok” he added.

“And I appreciate that” Emilie insisted softly “I just wish you’d see that I am not that same fragile girl you stumbled across a year ago, Sese. I’m so much better now and that’s on you” she added.

Sergio sighed. “I do know that, Em” he murmured.

“Then it wouldn’t kill you to have a little more faith in me, Sese” Emilie noted “You know I love your protective side, but I don’t need it all the time. I’ve come a long way” she insisted.

Sergio smiled a little and leant into her, kissing her lightly. “You’re right” he murmured softly “You have come a long way in comparison to that shy girl I met all those months ago” he muttered between light kisses.

Emilie giggled and inched a little closer to him, her fingers weaving into his hair as she attempted to hold him closer. “I love you” she murmured as she nudged her nose against his.

Sergio smiled. “I’m glad that you’re Ok” he insisted softly “I went through scenario after scenario in my head and they weren’t pretty” he added.

“But I am OK” Emilie insisted “I told him where to stick it, Sese, I am not going to be fooled by him again” she insisted.

Sergio smiled softly and pressed kisses to her cheeks and nose before he ducked down to capture her lips, his fingertips eagerly working at the waistband of her pajama pants. Emilie giggled, mumbling something about it having only been a week before the sound of Sergio’s phone caught their ears, causing the ginger girl to giggle. “You know who that’s going to be, don’t you?” she mused as she slipped away from him, tossing him the phone which sat in his trouser pocket.

Sergio sighed and nodded his head, his dark eyes noting Iker’s number on the screen. He had little doubt that Del Bosque had convinced the keeper to give him his phone so that he could contact the defender.

Emilie shook her head. “For what it is worth, I was so pleased to see you last night” she noted softly “I needed a hug and you showed up at the perfect moment, something I want to thank you for” she added before she pressed a kiss to his head, stepping out of the room so that he could take the call.

Sergio glanced at the phone for a second before he stared after Emilie, knowing that if he was faced with the same situation, he would make the same call. He knew where he needed to be and didn’t regret walking away for a second if it meant that he knew for sure that Emilie was safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)