Would You Fall Too?

06: You Owe Me One

“Are you alright, Em?” Isla mused as she peeked at her friend, noting the way she kept looking over towards the door. It was a little strange, even for Emilie, and Isla wanted to make sure that she was alright. She was a little odd at the best of times and she wanted to ensure that nothing bad had happened to her, it was the last thing Emilie needed.

Emilie, who had been surveying her front door, nodded, offering Isla a smile. “I’m fine” she replied softly. She knew why her friend was asking, ever since Isla had arrived for their weekly coffee, Emilie hadn’t been able to stop looking at the door and she could tell that Isla was slightly curious about it. It was like Emilie was waiting for company and Isla couldn’t help but think it was a little strange for her friend to be waiting on someone. Other than Isla, Emilie had a small close knit group of friends, people that would have told Isla if they had plans on visiting.

“Why do you keep looking at the door?” Isla posed gently.

Emilie shrugged. “Habit, I guess” she noted “You don’t tend to visit me here and I guess I was trying to figure out why you had” she added.

“It seemed easier than going all the way into town. Besides, you have the day off and I thought we could make a night of it. We could watch trashy talk shows, drink that lovely collection of wine you seem to be growing, and gossip” Isla suggested with a small grin. It had been a long while since she had had a girls’ night with Emilie and she had to admit she was slightly excited at the prospect. She wanted to spend more time with Emilie than an hour a week when they met for coffee.

“You want to spend the night here?” Emilie posed, a little caught off guard by her friend’s proposal. She didn’t want to admit it, especially to Isla who was likely to demand all sorts to details which didn’t exist, but she was sort of waiting on Sergio. She felt a little silly, the more she thought about it, the more their first dinner together became about him trying to say thank you for putting him up for the night and little else, but part of her held out a little hope that he could show up again. He’d been right, even despite not wanting him there, she had enjoyed their dinner and she was sort of waiting on him to come over again.

“Do you have other plans?” Isla posed, sipping at the warm mug of coffee that Emilie had provided her with.

“Well no” Emilie replied, trying not to look at the door “I am just sure that you have something else to be doing with your time” she reasoned.

Isla shook her head. “I don’t, not this evening. Do you not want me to stay?” she posed, trying to catch the look of Emilie’s blue eyes.

“I have no problem with you staying” Emilie replied, offering Isla a look “I’d love to have you here” she added.

Isla smiled. “Great. I will pop out to collect a couple more supplies and you can start to find something for us to watch on TV” she grinned before she collected her bag from the side “You’re OK with this, aren’t you Em?” she posed.

Emilie nodded her head, quickly forming a smile on her face. “I’m fine with it, Isla. As you said, it’s been a while” she mused.

Isla nodded her head and skittered out of the door, practically knocking Sergio over as he padded up the path. Offering the blonde girl a look, the defender shook his head before he padded up to the front door, tapping it lightly. “What did you forget, Isla?” Emilie’s voice sounded a little frustrated as she pulled the door open, her blue eyes widening a fraction as they landed on him.

“I’m not Isla” Sergio commented.

“I can see that” Emilie noted, a little blush forming on her cheeks.

“You sound like you want to kill Isla” Sergio noted, smiling.

Emilie shook her head. “Not at all” she mused “She’s a wonderful friend, but she has a habit of inviting herself into things. I love her, but sometimes, she could afford to back off a little” she explained gently. She knew that Isla meant well, she always went out of her way to make Emilie feel included or to cheer her up when things got the better of her, but at times, Emilie wished she could tone it down.

Sergio nodded his head. “I have friends like that too” he enthused, fiddling a little with the jumper he wore.

Emilie smiled. “But you love them anyways, right?” she posed.

“Of course. They can be pains in my backside, but they’re good people and they look out for me, I can’t argue with it” he explained.

Emilie shifted a little before she lifted her head, her blue eyes staring up at him a little unsurely. “Can I help you with something, Sergio?” she posed tentatively as she rested against the doorframe, her hands fiddling with the material of her denim shorts which travelled a little too high on her thigh. Sergio watched the movement, his dark eyes catching sight of the dark ink that stuck out from the edge of the material, before he looked back at her face, noting the slight colour that still lingered on her cheeks. She looked beautiful, if a little timid, and had it been anyone else, Sergio would have most certainly said something. She was a beautiful girl, it was something he’d always noticed about her, but he doubted she wanted to hear it. She seemed uncomfortable with a simple hello, he doubted she would appreciate him trying to communicate the idea that he found her beautiful.

“Sergio” Emilie noted, waving her hand a little in front of his eyes “Did you need something?” she posed.

Sergio blinked before he fished into his pocket, pulling out the book she had given him a week previous. “I wanted to return this to you” he smiled.

“You’ve finished it?” Emilie posed.

Sergio nodded his head. “I spent 2 days solid reading it, but we kept missing each other so I thought I would bring it over now” he explained.

“What did you think of it?” Emilie quipped, taking the book into her hand.

“I am not much of a Shakespeare fan, but it was alright. It was sort of romantic, if a little too dramatic” he summarized.

“It’s supposed to be a tragedy, Sergio” Emilie pointed out.

Sergio smiled at her, liking the way she lit up when they talked about the book. “Either way, I read it and now you owe me a dinner” he pointed out.

Emilie nodded her head. “I do. I can’t do tonight but…”

“Tomorrow” Sergio smiled, interrupting her.

Emilie nodded. “There’s no reason why I shouldn’t be able to do tomorrow. I’ll see you then?” she smiled at him softly.

Sergio nodded his head dutifully before he watched her close the door behind her. It was stupid, he’d only had a handful of conversations with Emilie, but he found himself growing a little attached to her, something which concerned him as much as it pleased him. He liked the idea of making friends with her, despite her sharp personality, he could tell that there was a sweet girl in there somewhere and he wanted to bring her out of her shell, but at the same time he worried that she might not pan out the way he hoped. He didn’t like the idea that he could break whatever fragile friendship they had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)