Secrets That She Keeps

Welcome home Emmy!

The Next Day:

I exit the plane and walk over to the baggage claim where I see Cobie standing against the wall waiting on me. He looks just like dad, especially now that he's getting older. I smile as he notices me and walks over to help me get my things. I throw my arms around his neck and hug him. "I missed you. And did you know that you're really starting to look like dad? It's a little weird." I say.

He just laughs and hugs me back. A few minutes later I hear "Dad's old, I'm not. I'm still hot." he says as we get inside the car.

"A little delusional are we?" I say putting on my seat belt and looking over at him.

"You know I'm hot. I get so many girls now that I'm on the show. You know, you should really think about working for dad, you might meet a man that way." he says to me raising that eyebrow just like dad does.

"First of all, don't let this whole fame thing go to your already big head and secondly how do you know I don't have a man?" I say giving him a look.

He just looks over at me and laughs. I stare at him for a minute "I don't find that funny at all Cobie. Don't be a jackass." I say pinching him on the arm.

"Ouch...So, why didn't you want me to tell dad you were coming home?" he asks as we pull up at the house and get out of the car.

"Because I wanted to surprise him. You know its been like six months since I've been back home. Where is he anyway?" I say pulling my suitcase out of his trunk.

"I don't know, probably working. And I think your mom is probably... out spending money." he says under his breath while pulling my last bag out.

"I heard that Cobie." I yell back to him, walking inside the house. I knew he was only joking but my mom's use or misuse of money was really unbelievable. I couldn't tell you how many clothes she had in her closet with the tags still hanging on them.

Later that afternoon I heard my dad open the garage door and pull in. I walked over and opened the door just as he was reaching for the knob. "Hey daddy" I say while hugging him.

"Emery! You're home. I wasn't expecting you." he says squeezing me tight.

"I know, I told Cobie not to tell you, I wanted to surprise you." I say kissing him on the cheek.

"Well, I'm definitely surprised, I'm glad your home baby." he tells me finally letting me go.

"Good because I'll be here the whole summer...you'll be ready to get rid of me by the time school starts." I say laughing.

"No, your still my little girl I would keep you at home forever if I could."

"Is the love fest over yet?" Cobie yells as he's coming down the stairs.

I look at dad and roll my eyes. "You're just jealous because he loves me more than you. It's okay...tell Emmy how you feel..." I say sticking out my bottom lip while making a face at Cobie.

"Whatever. I didn't run off to the mainland and not come back but every six months." he says smirking.

"Bastard---" I start to say, but my dad interrupts our little argument.

"Alright, Alright, we're not going to argue. Lord knows I get enough of that with your mother." he says looking over at me.

"Why does everyone call her- Your Mother? Am I suddenly responsible for her?" I say making a face.

And then as if on cue, she walks through the door, breezing past us to put her shopping bags in her room. We just stand there looking at her retreating form as she walks by.

"Well" is all I hear my dad say.

A few minutes later my mother walks back into the kitchen where were all standing and looks surprised to see me.

"Emery, dear, I didn't know you were coming home. You look awful, when was the last time you had your hair cut, it's almost down to your waist. You need some new clothes too. Is that Dakota's old baseball shirt your wearing?" she says looking me up and down.

"I didn't tell anyone I was coming home, I wanted it to be a surprise. And there is nothing wrong with this shirt, it's comfortable. And leave my hair alone" I say pulling it out of her hands and looking over at my dad.

He winks at me and says "She just got here Erin leave her alone. So..since we're all here why don't we go out to dinner? Cobie, call your brother and tell him to meet us in an hour."

We all nod in agreement. I loved when my dad takes charge. I truly believed he was the only one that could put my mother in her place. We go our separate ways to get ready for dinner.