Secrets That She Keeps

Call Dakota if you're feeling chatty

Three days later and I find myself lying in bed wide awake at midnight thinking about what the right choice might be. A) Tell Dad that Mom had not one but two abortions only four years apart. B) Confront Mom and find out what the hell was going on or C) Ignore it and hope for the best. I liked option C, but I knew I couldn't do that; not to my dad, it wasn't fair.

Not only did I have to worry about that I also had to find out about the Deed I found in the closet because her name was the only one on the paper work.

I tossed and turned in my bed, not able to fall asleep then suddenly it came to me. She was slowly leaving my dad. Oh... it made perfect sense now, she had bought a house on another Island and was slowly moving out.

"Oh my God" I thought to myself, jumping out of bed and rushing down the hallway. I push Cobie's door open, but he's not there. "Damn it" I say out loud, walking back over to my room. I pick up my phone sending him a text.

Me: Need to talk
Cobie: fuckin’ a hot girl- Call Dakota if you're feeling chatty
Me: Eww...Did not need to know that.

Ugh, my brother was texting me and getting laid. He had no morals, I swear. I sit my phone down on the dresser and lay down on the bed. A few minutes later I get a text, this time it’s from Dakota.

Dakota: U ok?
Me: Did Cobie text you? lol
Dakota: U need to talk?
Me: Long story- need Cobie. Love ya anyway!

Falling back onto my pillows feeling even more frustrated, I didn't know what to do at this point. My heart said to run into Dad's room and just tell him. But my mind was telling me to be cautious. Hell, I didn't even know if my dad would believe me. I didn't want him mad at me because of my stupid mother. Damn her for doing this to us. No daughter should be put in this position. Then again I was being nosy. I sighed, closing my eyes and tried to get some sleep.

I hadn't been asleep an hour when my brothers opened my bedroom door. I sat straight up in my bed. "Shit!...It’s not healthy to scare a girl like that." I said clutching my chest, my heart racing.

"Sorry Em." They both said.

Shaking my head, I pulled the covers back over me. "What are you two doing here anyway, thought you were fuckin’ a hot girl." I say mocking Cobie, while Dakota was laughing.

"He was, but he was all concerned about his baby sister and told me we had to come by and check on you." Dakota says rolling his eyes.

"I just wanted to make sure you were alright. I didn't say you had to come with me." Cobie says while pointing at Dakota.

"Whatever... Look, it’s about what I was telling you the other day... my friend." I say picking at a thread on my comforter. It was so hard for me not to tell them about Dad. We all loved him so much, he was always there for us and loved us unconditionally. I felt like I was betraying him in some way.

"Yeah, what about her?" Cobie asks me sitting down on the bed.

"I found out she's going to leave her boyfriend and he doesn't have a clue, they've been together for a really long time Cobie. She's doing it slowly, buying things here and there. She already got a new house. I wouldn't doubt if she had another man!" I say looking between my two brothers.

Dakota sits down on my bed with us and says "I'm out of the loop here...you have a friend that's leaving her boyfriend? What’s the big deal about that? I hope I didn't come all the way down here because of some friend of yours Emmy."

Cobie just shakes his head while rolling his eyes. "It’s a hypothetical friend, dumb ass, this person is really someone else." he says before turning to look me in the eyes. He was my father made over, I swear he could look down into your soul with those dark brown eyes and tell you were lying. Damn him!

My heart started to race as I prepared for a million questions.

"It’s you isn't it, you had the two abortions!" He says pointing his finger at me.

"WHAT?" I say loudly.

Dakota stands up and starts scolding me "Emery Nicole Chapman, how could you do that? When did this happen? Why didn't you tell us? Does Dad know? Who got you pregnant, I’ll kill him!"

"No no no no no..." I say shaking my head and my hands in defense. "It wasn't me, I didn't have an abortion Cobie, I couldn’t do that." I tell the two of them. "Cobie why would you think that?" I ask, almost sad that my brother thought me capable of doing such a thing.

This had gone all wrong, had Cobie really thought it was me all along? Obviously he didn't pay attention to my latest news about her leaving. This would never end well.

"Well if it’s not you, you need to tell me who it is. Right now Emery!" Cobie says grabbing me by the shoulders and using the same tone of voice dad always used when he was punishing us as kids.

My bedroom door swings open and my dad is standing there. "What the hell are you three arguing about at 1:30 in the morning?" he asks us, walking into my room.

"Nothing daddy, just go back to bed. We'll work this out." I say smiling at him.

"Alright, alright. But how about you do it quietly." He says with a sigh and turns to leave, but Dakota stops him.

"No dad, something is going on and Em wont tell us what it is. I think she's in trouble." he says as they all three look at me.

"Huh? -- What? No..obviously there's been a misunderstanding. I was trying to tell them about a friend who was having problems Dad, it’s not about me." I tell them feeling very frustrated.

My dad walks over to me and gently cups my chin in his hand, "Emery, baby, if you're in any kind of trouble, you can tell me, I'll take care of it sweetie." he says very seriously.

"No Daddy, I'm fine I promise. Let’s just all go to bed and we'll talk tomorrow." I say hugging him then pushing the three of them out of my room. I close the door then fall back on my bed, grabbing a pillow and screaming into it for good measure.