Secrets That She Keeps

Pay attention to the road Son!

My Dad and brothers had been busy over the last couple of days so we really haven't had time to talk. So I decided I would go out with them on a Bounty. It had been years since I had been so I was feeling a little anxious.

Dad told me to ride with Cobie because he would be driving the rest of the family. So when it came time to leave I heard Cobie tell the camera guys that they couldn't ride with us because he needed to talk to his sister.

Buckling my seat belt I looked over at him and said "You know it’s gonna kill them because they know something juicy is going on." We both laugh and wave bye to the two camera guys who were left standing in the parking lot of our office.

"Well we're going to the other side of the Island so we've got time to talk." he says as we pull out of the parking lot.

"I don't even know what to say Cobie, it’s... complicated." I say with a sigh.

"I understand that, just try to explain." he replies, looking over at me.

I wanted to tell him, I just didn't want to tell my dad. I clear my throat, and start to tell him something that would most definitely destroy our family.

"Alright...I was outside checking the mail and I found a bill from a place called Premier Medical addressed to E. Chapman, so I opened it." I say quickly while looking down at my hands and started picking at my fingernail polish.

Cobie looks over at me with this look of disbelief, "Are you saying what I think you’re saying...it was your mother?" he says in shock, he’d put two and two together pretty quickly.

"She had two abortions Cobie. Two...and dad has no idea." I say quietly.

I hear my Dad’s voice come over the radio "Cobie you keep swerving in and out of traffic. Pay attention to the road Son!"

"Seriously, I can’t even concentrate now." Cobie says, pulling the SUV over on the side of the road. He picks up his radio and tells dad he thinks he's getting sick and needs to go back home. "Em, you have to show me what you found. You said there was something else? I need to see it." he tells me turning around and taking us home.

"I'm scared Cobie this is my mother." I say looking out the window.

"I know that, but it’s also our father Emery. He has to know, we have to tell him tonight. This cant go on any longer."

We make our way back to the house. As were walking up the stairs I see my parents bedroom door open and the light on. I knew my mother should be at work and her car was gone.

Cobie steps in front of me pulling out his can of mace he had strapped to his leg. He holds his arm across my chest motioning for me to wait, I swat his hand away and promptly follow right behind him. He walks quietly into the bedroom closet to see why the light was on. A few seconds later he says "I think it’s safe Em. You need to see this." I walk quickly into the closet were Cobie is standing, it’s empty.

"She finally did it Emmy, she moved out."