Secrets That She Keeps

So many things have changed.

Three years later:

I stood staring at my reflection in the mirror of the church dressing room, holding the bouquet of roses in my hand and turning to look at the simple dress. It was the first time I had truly felt beautiful in my life. I smiled into the mirror as my dad walked up behind me.

"Ready baby girl?" he asks.

I just turned and hugged him as hard as I could. "Lets do it." I say walking out the door with him.

We stood lined up at the church doors as soft music played ushering in all the guests that would attend the wedding of Leland Chapman to his Fiancé Jennifer Martin. I smiled over at my two brothers; Cobie nudging me with his elbow like a typical brother and Dakota giving me a wink before I linked my arm in theirs and walked down the aisle to begin the wedding.

It had been three years since we had last seen or heard from my mother and I couldn't have been happier. So many things had changed in our lives. It was hard to believe that someone could hold you back from truly being yourself. But, no longer.

We had all begun a new life. I met a wonderful man whom I loved dearly. Cobie was engaged and Dakota now married. And my father, well, his life began two years ago when he met Jennifer. He was hesitant at first to date after being married for so long. Needless to say, it didn't take him too long to catch on.

I felt a tear slip down my cheek as Jennifer smiled at my father as he recited his vows to her. He promised to love, honor and cherish her and I knew he meant every word.

After the ceremony we made our way into the reception hall. I smiled as Jennifer walked over toward me and hugged me. "You look so beautiful. You're practically glowing" I say laughing.

She bits her lips and whispers into my ear "I'm pregnant."

She laughs as I make a face of shock. "Oh my...that is wonderful! What did dad say?" I ask.

"He doesn't know yet, I'm going to tell him tonight." she says giggling.

She walks away from me and over to my father kissing him softly on the lips.

I knew then that Cobie and I had made the right decision to keep the secrets of the past in the past. I would live with that dark secret until the day I died and I knew in doing so it would be a burden that I would have to bare for my father’s happiness.

The End