Status: 8/8

I Could Be What You Had Saved

20

Finnick is twenty and there’s someone else’s blood on his hands. Aisa is trembling besides him, split lip dripping blood down her chin while Finnick gets a washcloth and gently presses against the wound. She doesn’t even react, too shocked to do anything but stare at him with huge scared eyes. There are purplish marks along her arms already, her hair is in a huge knot and she looks so damn fragile it hurts to think about touching her and inflicting more pain.

“S-She’s only seventeen.”

“You were younger than her when you started. It’s the price to survive out here.” Finnick mumbles. His voice seems louder in the bathroom, filled with grief and rage and all the things he can’t really say out loud, not even to Aisa.

“He took her – even when I told him no, he – he just took her. I let him…”

“No.” Taking her head between his hands, Finnick feels about to explode as he says “It wasn’t your fault and you know it. Now drop it” and watches as she nods reluctantly, eyes filled with tears.

When she finds her voice, what comes out is a whispered “I hate them, Finnick. They’re destroying us”. He can’t do anything but hug her, kiss her forehead and hold her while she breaks again.

Mason’s family is dead a few months later.