Like I Would

Prologue

“She’s the kind of girl you marry, I’m the kind you don’t”

Those words had haunted Carly since she was eighteen. The day she said goodbye to Marc when he asked her out. He’d dated Angie on and off for nearly two years, before approaching her and declaring that he’d realized why things were on and off with Angie, that maybe he’d been in love with her – his best friend – the entire time and hadn’t realized it. Tears streaming down his face, he’d asked her to go with him to New York, to give him the chance he’d wished he’d realized he’d needed before.
They were the words she’d dreamed of him saying since they’d first met, four long years before. Immediately they’d become best friends, and while she’d secretly fell for the adorable red head, she’d kept the feelings buried as deep as was humanely possible. So many girls were after the second Staal, because he was well on his way to following his brother Eric and becoming an NHL player. Angie had raised the hackles on Carly’s neck at first, but had proven to like Marc for the right reasons, and so Carly tolerated her. She was the kind of girl Marc needed – steadfast, loyal, and more than willing to be a stay-at-home wife who could be there for him when he was all over the country playing hockey. Something Carly wasn’t sure she would ever be able to do.
So, even though it tore her apart inside, she turned him down. Told him he must be crazy – she had so many things she wanted to do and places to go, on top of being accepted to Berkley College in California, that the relationship wouldn’t work. That they’d always been the best of friends and that they always would be. Carly knew she couldn’t give Marc the things he deserved and wanted, and even though it drove a stake through and through into her heart, she told him the truth. Angie was the kind of girl that guys like him married, she wasn’t. And with that she’d turned and left, letting the tears stream down her face and her heart broken in honest.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... a brand new story! :D I've been working on a few different things and not having tons of luck between work, some stressful home things and writer's block, so you may have to bear with me a little bit here. But please let me know what you think! Thanks!