Status: fin.

Manipulation.

And the Town Lit Up, the World got Still

We were opposites. There was no denying that, after spending only a few hours with him. It seemed, though, that we were only opposites to a certain extent. In fact, some things about us were eerily similar, like our, well, abilities and the fact that we preferred open faces and the fact that we were both scared and I couldn’t decide if I was okay with it or not. It certainly made me uncomfortable. I had come to learn, though, that there are two different types of feeling uncomfortable.

There’s the type of uncomfortable when you know something awful is going to happen. Like, no matter how many times you watch a movie, when that character dies, you flinch; your heart drops. That’s the type of uncomfortable that deals with inevitable pain, the one that leaves you some kind of angry and hurt and vulnerable. That’s the type of uncomfortable that you can’t do shit about.

But there is another type of being uncomfortable. And that’s when change is involved. Everyone hates change, whether they admit it or not, and knowing that the world around you is going to be different, or worse, that something inside of you is changing, is a terrifying feeling. But the thing about that type of uncomfortable is that it’s important. Nothing that amazing ever came out of complacency.

Chris had this ability to block everything out - to become entirely blank, or to make other people entirely blank, and I was envious. Part of me wanted to beg him to drain me, but he wouldn’t have no matter how hard I had tried. He was afraid, just like me. But he was afraid of being empty, whereas I was afraid that there would always be too much for me to handle.

Like I said, we were opposites. I was tall, and he was not, to say the least. Somehow, we understood each other perfectly. I think that at some point during our talk, I was happy, but when I left after receiving a stern warning about being careful with my abilities, I was uncomfortable. And it was impossible to shake, even knowing that I could manipulate emotions.

Some things are inevitable. I should’ve known that disappointment was always going to follow me around, no matter how things changed. Because I could run away from New York and I could run away from this town but I could never run away from who I was, if that could even be defined.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like how I thought dialogue was good so I cut it out of a scene where it would've worked really well entirely and put a bunch of descriptive bullshit down instead. Woo!
Sorry.