In Which Vic Saves Kellin From Getting Trampled at a Protest and I Am Terrible at Writing Flirting

1

Things were going well so far, for once, no-one had been punched, no-one had been arrested, and Mikey still had her shirt on. Actually, scratch that- her shirt was now in shreds on the ground. Vic would bet his guitar that that was ALysha’s doing. But still, things were actually going well for once. Until they weren’t.

Water slammed into the protesters at the front, forcing them back, into everybody else.

“They’re bringing out the big guns now!” Mikey laughed, used to this kind of thing, and her nerves only showed in how she held Alysha closer to her. Everyone hated the water cannons the police used as a dispersing tactic, and no-one liked going home soaking wet, with bruises from the impact.

A shrill cry caught Vic’s attention when the water hit again, forcing everybody to stumble back once more. Trying to find the source of the panicked yell, Vic stood as still as he could and turned his head until he saw a flash of purple on the ground, accompanied by a choked scream. He darted in the direction of the flash of purple, making eye contact with Tony for a split second and hoping the quiet boy would get the message. He had a feeling he’d need backup.

He was right. When he finally managed to duck and weave his way to where he thought he should be, he saw a boy, about his age, maybe younger, but definitely more scared, curled up on the ground with people stepping all over him. Vic sprung into action, reaching out and grabbing him while Tony did his best to hold the crowd back.

Vic pulled the boy, who was dressed in pastel coloured everything, up and close to his chest, bracing himself against the tide of people. He looked up at Tony.

“Let’s get him out of here!”

“But the others-”

“They’ll be fine-” Vic stumbled, and the boy squeaked in fear. Vic really hoped the pastel boy wasn’t scared of him. Vic may have been shorter than him, but he was definitely more muscular. “But this kid looks like he’s about to have a panic attack.”

Tony nodded, obviously still worried about the others. “Let’s go before we get soaked.”

The three of them battled their way through the crowd, Vic being careful not to let go of pastel boy, who was currently clinging to him for dear life.

“You’re okay. It’ll be okay.” Vic said to him. The boy just whimpered.

“I can see an alley, try and aim for it!” Tony shouted from a few feet in front of them, surprising Vic immensely. Tony barely talked if he didn’t have to.

“I’d have to know where it was to- woah!” Vic stumbled again. He looked up, and his heart sank. “Oh no.”

“Tear gas!” Somebody yelled. Vic knew that pastel boy couldn’t handle this, so as soon as he saw a break in the crowd, he ran for it, dragging the boy along behind him, Tony having already gone.

And they were out. The crowd of angry, frightened protesters was at Vic’s back and pastel boy was still hanging onto him like he was the only one keeping him upright.

“Are you okay?” Vic asked gently.

The boy nodded, despite having a nasty looking bruise on his left cheek and the beginnings of a black eye. Now that Vic was really looking, he could see that pastel boy was extraordinarily pretty.

“Th-Thanks… For saving me.”

Vic shrugged. “No problem. Getting trampled sucks, it’s happened to me a couple of times.”

“You do this very often?” The boy finally let go, stepping back slightly.

“Every time I think it’s worth it. Which is a lot.”

“I’ve never done this before.”

“I can tell.” Vic tried not to laugh, but really, pastel boy was so obviously inexperienced, it was laughable. He also vaguely wondered where Tony was, but trusted his friend to look after himself.

Pastel boy scowled. “You know if you’re just gonna be an asshole-”

“Sorry, that was mean. Can I make it up to you?”

“You could tell me your name.”

Vic smiled, leaning against the wall. “Vic Fuentes, at your service.”

“Kellin Quinn. Well, it’s technically Bostwick but my dad is an ass who- and you’re not even interested I should just stop talking.” Pastel boy- Kellin blushed. Vic was so screwed. The only thing he knew about this boy was that his name was Kellin, his dad was an asshole, and he’d never been to a protest before. And somehow, Vic found all this completely adorable. “So you say that you’re at my service…” Kellin said, smirking slightly.

“I did.” Vic confirmed, rather amused by what he was pretty sure was flirting.

“Would that include buying me lunch?”

Oh that was flirting alright. “Maybe.” Vic looked Kellin up and down, making sure the pastel boy could see it. He wasn’t interested in denying himself the pleasure of looking at pretty people, even if he was rarely interested in taking things any further than just looking. Kellin though… He was very interested. “If you give me your number.”

This seemed to make Kellin nervous. “O-Okay.”

“You don’t have to.” Vic was quick to reassure him.

“What if I want to?”

“You’re trying to impress me. Don’t.”

Kellin blinked.

“I don’t want to make you uncomfortable by making you do stuff. Cause that’d just be shitty.”

“Oh. Th-Thanks…”

“But if you really do want to give me your number I am interested.”

Kellin giggled. “Lets see how lunch goes. Maybe then.”

“Alright.” Vic smiled and pushed off of the wall. “Wanna go now? I may need to locate my squad first, but it shouldn’t take too long.”

“Sure.”

As the two boys made their way out of the other end of the alley (there was no way they were going back into the crowd), it felt like the beginning of something great.